Drinks With A View in London

I believe the BT tower is closed to the public. It has been since a bombing incident some years ago but having been up there before it was closed it was without doubt the finest view in London. The Hilton Hotel, Park Lane used to have a bar right up the top many years ago but I'm not sure if its still open. It was expensive though.

Jimmy

Any recommendations for evening drinks with a nice view in London?
Vertigo 42 and Galvin at Windows (as haggis says).

Or, alternatively, a "champagne flight" or a "Pimms flight" on the London Eye.

Never been to london but is the BT Tower Bar not meant to have fantastic views?
It would if it were open. But it's been closed for about 30 years now, as that article says.

Vertigo 42 and Galvin at Windows (as haggis says).

Or, alternatively, a "champagne flight" or a "Pimms flight" on the London Eye.It would if it were open. But it's been closed for about 30 years now, as that article says.

They are looking at re-opening the restaurant in the BT Tower by Christmas 2011 apparently.

Thanks everyone for the various recs!

The one at the Hilton lies right between where I'm staying and where a friend from Scotland is staying. The view looks great and the Granny Smith apple parfait w. calvados is calling my name.

Globaliser: A few years ago we timed our Eye tickets for sunset............... the skies cooperated, cleared & turned a glorious blue. Very special.

Martha

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from almost a month in Europe. Our cruise started out in London. We wanted to see the Tower Bridge Museum on this trip. We found a site mentioned here on CC about restaurants offering set menus for a reasonable price. We tried the Butler Wharf Chop House Bar (they also have a restaurant right next door) and ate outside. We had a terrific view of Tower Bridge from below rather than up. We had a leisurely dinner with beer for my husband and wine for me. There are several restaurants along the river. We had wanted to walk our way back to our hotel along the river but as we had just arrived that day the no sleep forced us to take the Tube back instead. This place was just a neat place to relax.

Pearl

As has already been mentioned the Oxo tower has fantastic views. You don't have to eat as they have a bar that you can just have a drink.

You don't even have to drink as there is just a viewing platform at the top. There are wonderful views of the City of London with St Paul's taking centre stage.

http://www.harveynichols.com/output/Page128.asp

Another good place is the Blueprint Cafe, although this is a restaurant it is not terribly expensive and often has offers, it is part of the group mentioned by Pearl. It has a pair of binoculars on each table, which is quite fun. (I not sure that the apartments on the opposite side of the river would have the same opinion though!)

http://www.blueprintcafe.co.uk/

Archived