Just off the GEM - my thoughts

oladunk

The tipping suggestion comes up often, I guess, because we are Americans it is hard to understand your point, but I will add, 1-could you tell me the difference between having the tips in the price or paying them on the ship? It is the same.

2-If they are paid in the cost of the cruise 2 things would happen, 1-the crew would need to pay full taxes on the tips as well as whatever else and 2-the cruise line would have to pay commission on the tips as well as the cruise rate, costing them money.

3-nearly all countries now have either a tipping policy or a service charge added to rates and bills. A service charge is just another name for a tip. of course I can not speak for Scandavavia as we haven't traveled there, but we have many other places throughout the world. The ones that do not have any form of tipping are becoming fewer and fewer yearly.Many European countries have some form of service charge.

4-the pool chair situation, yes, it is the pits but it is common on so many lines today. This holds for resort hotels as well. It seems so unfair to think you can not get a lounge or chair near the pool or in the shade unless you mark your spot at 7am...

Nita

1) The money is the same. But it seems like it's a hidden cost that the cruiseline doesn't want you to take into account when you book. Related to point 2. My problem is that I tend to forget until halfway through my cruise and then realise that I shouldn't tip individually to the waiters unless they have given me extra good service.

2) Valid point about the tax, and the only argument for this system that I can not agrue against. But one question remains...why should the tax be less if we pay after than before? Doesn't seem logic to me.

3) i like to see the price before i book. It's that simple. i don't like hidden costs. They can say they are there for us to see but still many people forget them until they see the bill (me included ...and I blame myself for that). So I think the reason is that these service charges charged later are supposed to come at a later stage to make you feel that it's cheaper than it really is.

4) 2 solutions 2 this problem (unless they find a new system). 1) Do as many others do and "book" your sunbed at 7 am or 2) Refuse to do this behavior and hope that others learn.

I tend to do 2) but it's hard when so many use the other solution.

Another solution is to use 2) and ridicule the ones using soluton 1) or ignore their bookings of sunbeds by removing their belongings if they don't show up during the maximum reservation time given by the cruiseline (on GEM they said 30 minutes max reservation without using bed).

The sad thing is that this created bad atmosphere by the sundeck and pool area. I heard several people discuss this and many people were upset by the lack of control of the system.

I am sorry. I was so caught up in my response that I didn't realize I was posting on a review of the Gem and not on somebody trying to get out of tips. I apologize for hijacking the thread. I read so many that I forget what thread I am on!!

Thank you for the lovely review!! We are leaving in a couple of weeks so appreciate the information.

1) The money is the same. But it seems like it's a hidden cost that the cruiseline doesn't want you to take into account when you book. Related to point 2. My problem is that I tend to forget until halfway through my cruise and then realise that I shouldn't tip individually to the waiters unless they have given me extra good service.

2) Valid point about the tax, and the only argument for this system that I can not agrue against. But one question remains...why should the tax be less if we pay after than before? Doesn't seem logic to me.

3) i like to see the price before i book. It's that simple. i don't like hidden costs. They can say they are there for us to see but still many people forget them until they see the bill (me included ...and I blame myself for that). So I think the reason is that these service charges charged later are supposed to come at a later stage to make you feel that it's cheaper than it really is.

4) 2 solutions 2 this problem (unless they find a new system). 1) Do as many others do and "book" your sunbed at 7 am or 2) Refuse to do this behavior and hope that others learn.

I tend to do 2) but it's hard when so many use the other solution.

Another solution is to use 2) and ridicule the ones using soluton 1) or ignore their bookings of sunbeds by removing their belongings if they don't show up during the maximum reservation time given by the cruiseline (on GEM they said 30 minutes max reservation without using bed).

The sad thing is that this created bad atmosphere by the sundeck and pool area. I heard several people discuss this and many people were upset by the lack of control of the system.

I will never doubt how upset people get over the chair and lounge situation. I do as well. I think the answer, but unfortunately I don't have the guts to do it, is to remove peoples belongings if they are not using the beds as you menioned.

As for the tips upfront or otherwise, I would agree it seems like a hidden cost if it were not for the fact, some form of tipping has always been part of cruising just like it is in restaurants, resorts, etc. Almost every line now has set amounts, that can be adjusted, but not unless you are willing to sell your second child or something like that...The biggest difference, NCLs $12 a day is the second highest, but wait and see how long before others raise theirs.

As for the income tax being different, let's put it this way, it depends on how much your claim on your income tax forms. I don't know how this works in other countries. In Armerica it is am accepted policy, not all tips are reported. I am guessing this is standard everywhere...Just a guess you understand.

Nita

I think the NCL site has info.

But if you are talking about cruise critic forum readers/posters experience there is a separate forum area for the most common port of calls.

I have the shore excursion leaflets from my cruise on the GEM a few weeks ago (adriatic 7 day cruise) and could scan them if there are any interest.

Hi Oladunk,

I am going on the Gem on 25th Sept and the shore excursions would be of great interest to me.

Just curious - when then manditory $12 per person, per day is not implemented on other lines, how much do you usually tip? Would it be less than the 12$ x 7 days=$84 or would people tip each service person around $20 dollars for the week? I guess depending on how many people 'serve' you in that week, that could end up costing a lot more than the $84 per person that is charged on NCL. What is the suggested amount when they leave the envelopes for you to fill out/in witht he other lines? This is my first cruise so I have no idea and certainly have no problem paying the $84 per person.

Just curious - when then manditory $12 per person, per day is not implemented on other lines, how much do you usually tip? Would it be less than the 12$ x 7 days=$84 or would people tip each service person around $20 dollars for the week? I guess depending on how many people 'serve' you in that week, that could end up costing a lot more than the $84 per person that is charged on NCL. What is the suggested amount when they leave the envelopes for you to fill out/in witht he other lines? This is my first cruise so I have no idea and certainly have no problem paying the $84 per person.

I don't know whether this question was directed to me or if it was a general question to all readers of the thread.

In my case I would be happy to pay the $84, but I want it added to the price of the cruise. There is no reason to hide it (except the tax issue which might be a good enough reason in itself).

On my 2 first cruises in the 90s we still had to use the handing out of envelopes to individual waiters, room service guy etc and I hated it (being a European and unused to this). I heard the new system was introduced to please the Europeans better, so it's a step in the right direction. But I would prefer to have it added to initial price. Then if somebody gave me extraordinary service on the ship I would stil tip extra.

I don't remember how much we paid with the envelopes system but we always read the suggestions from the cruiselines and followed that (unless there were some obvious reasons to tip someone more).

Just roughly here is what we would do: $3.00 to the cabin steward, $2.00 to the assistant: $3.00 to the wait person and $2.00 to the assistant plus probably another few dollars to maybe the head wait person or the matre D etc. of course if they go above and beyond then we would give extra. I don't think it would be much differeent either way.

Nita

I don't know whether this question was directed to me or if it was a general question to all readers of the thread.

In my case I would be happy to pay the $84, but I want it added to the price of the cruise. There is no reason to hide it (except the tax issue which might be a good enough reason in itself).

On my 2 first cruises in the 90s we still had to use the handing out of envelopes to individual waiters, room service guy etc and I hated it (being a European and unused to this). I heard the new system was introduced to please the Europeans better, so it's a step in the right direction. But I would prefer to have it added to initial price. Then if somebody gave me extraordinary service on the ship I would stil tip extra.

I don't remember how much we paid with the envelopes system but we always read the suggestions from the cruiselines and followed that (unless there were some obvious reasons to tip someone more).

I don't remember either, but I think the last time we did a cruise where there was no auto tipping, it was on Celebrity and it came to about $11 per day (this was 5 years ago)

Nita

Oladunk,

If one books "My Time" dining on a Royal Caribbean ship, it is mandatory to prepay gratuities with the cruise fare, taxes, fees etc...

BTW, Norway is my favourite country - I lived there for six years back in the '80's.

If one books "My Time" dining on a Royal Caribbean ship, it is mandatory to prepay gratuities with the cruise fare, taxes, fees etc...

BTW, Norway is my favourite country - I lived there for six years back in the '80's.

About RCCL MyTime... that's what I like to see more of. The money I pay is the same, I just don't have the opprtunity to forget about it as I now tend to do with the GEM $12 pr day pr person added during the cruise. It's not a big thing for me though. It's just onbe of those small irritations. And by the way, I love cruising...whether it's RCCL or NCL.

Glad you like Norway. In fact I just returned from 5 days vacation in Lofoten including short (non-cabin) stays on Hurtigruta. Wow... if you ever wonder what Bora-Bora would look like if it had less mass-tourism and more beautiful villages I suggest going there. The place blew me away and as a hobby photographer I was happy to see new "postcard" landscape wherever I turned.

Archived