Just off the GEM - my thoughts

oladunk

I'm just off the 7 day adriatic cruise on the GEM. Here's my pros/cons & "hidden" gems....

Pros:

• Over all a very nice cruise
  • Cruise director Glading impressed us (language, knowing which people spoke which language, his language abilities, friendliness etc)

Cons:

• Pepsi-card/soda card: No big thermo-cup included like I got on my RCCL-cruise 2 years ago. When you asked for soda you got a very small glass filles with ice (unless I remembered to tell not to use much ice).
  • Pool area too crowded. An american said the special cabins immediately behind the pool area stole too much space making the pool area to small.
  • People taking up sunchairs/poolside chairs even if they didn't need them. Jeeeeez...did they put their towel there before they went to bed or did they set their alarm clock at 5 o'clock in the morning? Disgusting/selfish behaviour. NCL need to do something about it. If no better solutions I suggest a chair-police checking chairs every 45 mins (30 mins max reservation time) and marking unused with different chalk-colors for next inpection round. If still unoccupied, remove towel/personal belongings and free chair for others to use.
  • Too much selling/merchandising push
  • Service charge should be in initial price. The tipping and extras are normal for Americans but not for us Europeans.
  • Bar-waiters in restaurants seemed to miss orders frequently

"Hidden" gems:

Sorry. I don't have many. Others should add theirs.

• Free popcorn in Spinnaker Lounge
  • Use La cuisina italian restaurant when Garden Cafe is crowded. Just bring your plate from Garden Cafe or Great Outdoor buffet into La Cuisina.
  • Recommend a romantic peaceful sunset at FWD (and AFT?) on deck 14 in big black couple sofas. Add in a pitcher of Sangria for extra pleasure ;-)
  • Book any restaurants (free or speciality) at booking desk or dial 050. Bookings are more difficult at end of week, so you should book earlier the closer to the end of the cruise you are.

I'm just off the 7 day adriatic cruise on the GEM. Here's my pros/cons & "hidden" gems....

• Use La cuisina italian restaurant when Garden Cafe is crowded. Just bring your plate from Garden Cafe or Great Outdoor buffet into La Cuisina.

Oladunk,

Thanks for all the comments and tips.

One question, I thought La Cucina had a cover charge ?

• Pool area too crowded. An american said the special cabins immediately behind the pool area stole too much space making the pool area to small.

I'm trying to figure this one out. Aren't the Garden Cafe and the Kids' Club right behind the pool area? They are on the Jewel, and I think the Jewel and Gem have the same deck plans. Right above that area is the Star Bar, and above that way up on Deck 14 and 15 are some really special cabins. But I can't think of any cabins immediately behind or in front of the pool.

I'm trying to figure this one out. Aren't the Garden Cafe and the Kids' Club right behind the pool area? They are on the Jewel, and I think the Jewel and Gem have the same deck plans. Right above that area is the Star Bar, and above that way up on Deck 14 and 15 are some really special cabins. But I can't think of any cabins immediately behind or in front of the pool.

Well, I took this statement "raw" and didn't filter it before posting. He had been on a little older "sister"-ship which had a bigger pool area because this construction was not so close to the pool area.

There are definitely some big apartments on top there though. Can see some jacuzzis on the corners, and the american said it was a closed off area where you needed a special keycard to enter.

Hi Oladunk,

Sangria pitchers sound yummy and are one of my favorites but I did not know NCL had them available...

Can you tell me the size and cost of the pitcher, how many glasses it held..

thanks

Hi Oladunk,

Sangria pitchers sound yummy and are one of my favorites but I did not know NCL had them available...

thanks

NCL makes great Sangria...:) I hope someone else can remember the prices, since for some reason my memory is a bit fuzzy on that...:D

Pros:

• Cruise director Glading impressed us (language, knowing which people spoke which language, his language abilities, friendliness etc)

Cons:

• Pepsi-card/soda card: No big thermo-cup included like I got on my RCCL-cruise 2 years ago. When you asked for soda you got a very small glass filles with ice (unless I remembered to tell not to use much ice).
  • People taking up sunchairs/poolside chairs even if they didn't need them. Jeeeeez...did they put their towel there before they went to bed or did they set their alarm clock at 5 o'clock in the morning? Disgusting/selfish behaviour. NCL need to do something about it. If no better solutions I suggest a chair-police checking chairs every 45 mins (30 mins max reservation time) and marking unused with different chalk-colors for next inpection round. If still unoccupied, remove towel/personal belongings and free chair for others to use.
  • Service charge should be in initial price. The tipping and extras are normal for Americans but not for us Europeans.

"Hidden" gems:

• Recommend a romantic peaceful sunset at FWD (and AFT?) on deck 14 in big black couple sofas. Add in a pitcher of Sangria for extra pleasure ;-)
  • Book any restaurants (free or speciality) at booking desk or dial 050. Bookings are more difficult at end of week, so you should book earlier the closer to the end of the cruise you are.

Yes, I agree about the pool being too small on the Gem. However, I have been on 8-9 different cruise ships- on 4 different cruise lines - and I have yet to be on a ship that had enough pool space. (NCL Crown, Dawn, Spirit and Gem, HAL Westerdam , Carnival Victory and Imagination and Sky Princess).

My guess is that pools donot necessarily generate income but it sort of silly to have pools smaller than most resort pools when the average size resort has like 200-400 rooms and probably about 400-800 guests while most of today's mass market cruise ships carry anywhere from 2000-4000 guests.

thanks so mcuh for the Daily Fresstyles, getting close to our cruise in Oct. on the Gem. If time permits could you give more information about your experience in Venice pre cruise and getting to and on the ship.

I agree with you about the daily service chg (tipping) it should be included in the total cruise price and then disbursed accordingly instead of paying it "after the cruise", tipping in my opinion is for good service provided, if this is just an automatic chg. to generate income, let it be upfront!

I disagree.

You "present your gratuity" when you offer money on your own free will even though you are not obligated to. Once this payment is demanded it becomes a charge and it stops being a gratuity.

Asking for this charge to be included in the initial price doesn't make one a "cheapskate" since this amount would still be paid. The only difference is that it is a "hidden" charge which only appears in small letters when you book the cruise, and many people don't like such hidden charges.

The only reasonable answer I read so far regarding this charge is that charging you in this way saves the cruise line from paying more taxes and helps keep the ticket prices lower. But in this case one could say that those who want to pay less taxes are the cheapskates, not those who want this charge to be included in the initial price.

This reminds me of certain people who would do everything to avoid paying their taxes, and then they would offer some money to charity (a fraction of what they would have otherwise paid for taxes) and present themselves as great philanthropists ;)

How about this as a separate reasonable answer:

The daily service charge is NOT a gratuity. It is a....get this.... DAILY SERVICE CHARGE. That is a charge, for service, daily.

Gratuities are not required, though you are welcome to offer them if you choose.

How about this as a separate reasonable answer:

The daily service charge is NOT a gratuity. It is a....get this.... DAILY SERVICE CHARGE. That is a charge, for service, daily.

Gratuities are not required, though you are welcome to offer them if you choose.

The whole cruise is a service. So this doesn't answer why there should be an additional daily charge. Using the same logic they could also have a "weekly service charge" a "hourly service charge" etc.

An additional charge could make sense for things that are optional. Like the specialty resturants for example. But when you book a 7 day cruise you will be on the ship for 7 days and this is known from the very beginning. Therefore they could easily include this charge along with all other standard charges in the initial price.

Hi Oladunk,

thanks

Size was (in my eyes) quite big. Must have been at least 1.5 liter.

The price was 29 dollars.

It was not that strong though. Me and my girlfriend could drink this within a resonable time without anyone taking my 2 children away from me ;)

I bought this in the pool bar, but the bartender warned me that the best would be to get the ones they sell on a table by the pool. Those are made by the garden cafe (on Gem at least) and they leave the fruits in wine (or other alcohol?) over night. This was sold out when I wanted to buy so the bar just made a new one.

I will be on this cruise Sept. 4th. It was said on our roll call that the pitcher cost $26 and filled 6 good sized glasses.

JoAnne

I was quoted $25 or $26 when I asked for it. When the pitcher came the bill said $29 (unsure why...but I didn't ask).

The whole cruise is a service. So this doesn't answer why there should be an additional daily charge. Using the same logic they could also have a "weekly service charge" a "hourly service charge" etc.

An additional charge could make sense for things that are optional. Like the specialty resturants for example. But when you book a 7 day cruise you will be on the ship for 7 days and this is known from the very beginning. Therefore they could easily include this charge along with all other standard charges in the initial price.

The cruise isn't a service, it's a hotel.

It's also a transportation vehicle.

On the transportation vehicle, in the hotel, service is available.

That service costs $12/day/pp.

The reasons it is separate have been explained over & over again...but to recap:

- dissolves the cultural differences of tip/no tip....Americans want to "give extra" .... hence ... give $12/day, and be absolved of further obligation

Europeans want their service charge already figured-out, and neatly on the bill...hence $12/day.

And then no tipping required from anyone.

- paid after cruise, not before

- not taxable

- not commissionable

The cruise isn't a service, it's a hotel.

It's also a transportation vehicle.

On the transportation vehicle, in the hotel, service is available.

That service costs $12/day/pp.

To be precise the cruise ship can be thought of as a "hotel" or a "transportation vehicle". The cruise however is a service. But your analogy is good:

This service by the cruise ship is offered at an initial price, in the same way that a Hotel or an Airline offers their services. When you pay say $300 for a Hotel for 2 days, you don't expect to pay $324 because of an additional "daily charge". And when you pay $300 for airplane tickets you don't expect to pay $350 because of some "hourly charge". Additional charges are expected only for things that are optional and not part of the initial deal, and any gratuities are entirely up to each customer.

dissolves the cultural differences of tip/no tip....Americans want to "give extra" .... hence ... give $12/day, and be absolved of further obligation

Europeans want their service charge already figured-out, and neatly on the bill...hence $12/day.

And then no tipping required from anyone.

I understand your point, but wouldn't this also be the case for Hotels and other services? Surely there are a lot of Americans that use European hotels in the same way that use cruises from Europe, and vise versa. And since some cruise lines have this kind of particularity shouldn't they at least indicate this charge clearly from the beginning, instead with some small letters when you already about to book?

Pros:

Cons:

"Hidden" gems:

We are booked on the Sept.18th cruise on the Gem. We would appreciate any information/guidance on the Shore excursions whether they would be through Ncl or private. Thanks for your help.

To be precise the cruise ship can be thought of as a "hotel" or a "transportation vehicle". The cruise however is a service. But your analogy is good:

This service by the cruise ship is offered at an initial price, in the same way that a Hotel or an Airline offers their services. When you pay say $300 for a Hotel for 2 days, you don't expect to pay $324 because of an additional "daily charge". And when you pay $300 for airplane tickets you don't expect to pay $350 because of some "hourly charge". Additional charges are expected only for things that are optional and not part of the initial deal, and any gratuities are entirely up to each customer.

I understand your point, but wouldn't this also be the case for Hotels and other services? Surely there are a lot of Americans that use European hotels in the same way that use cruises from Europe, and vise versa. And since some cruise lines have this kind of particularity shouldn't they at least indicate this charge clearly from the beginning, instead with some small letters when you already about to book?

At one of the most upscale resorts I've stayed in, La Costa just north of San Diego, there's a $22/day resort fee.....outside of the $400 daily room rate.....just saying.

At one of the most upscale resorts I've stayed in, La Costa just north of San Diego, there's a $22/day resort fee.....outside of the $400 daily room rate.....just saying.

I had a look at their website. This fee is made clear right from the beginning when you book and it is added to the initial price along with the taxes. Which is basically what the op said that NCL should do.

Anyway, this is not a big deal for me at all. I just don't like it when some people call others "cheapskates" just because they make a very reasonable comment about the way this charge is applied by NCL. (hiding it until the very end when you are about to book, and even then showing it with small letters on the sidebar)

I had a look at their website. This fee is made clear right from the beginning when you book and it is added to the initial price along with the taxes. Which is basically what the op said that NCL should do.

Anyway, this is not a big deal for me at all. I just don't like it when some people call others "cheapskates" just because they make a very reasonable comment about the way this charge is applied by NCL. (hiding it until the very end when you are about to book, and even then showing it with small letters on the sidebar)

It's still better than other cruiselines where it isn't listed until you read the card in your room telling you the expected 'tip' for various people. Imagine the surprise when you encounter THAT!

On NCL you know all of your non-discretionary costs BEFORE the cruise starts...

Having read your claim, I went to ncl.com. At the very top of the very first page, is an FAQ. On the FAQ is this link: http://www2.ncl.com/faq#n19262 which fairly succinctly sums up the Service Charge.

It's immediately below THIS link, http://www2.ncl.com/faq#n19261 which explicitly says tipping is not required for normal service. That's different than the lines with envelopes, etc.

I am the initial poster so I thought I could elaborate on the service charge bullet.

I am not the most experienced cruise passenger but have cruised 5 times since 1991. So basically I SHOULD know about the service charge. So basically I blame myself for always forgetting this when I book cruises, but being a European I guess I'm not so use to this concept.Actually on my first 2-3 cruises the system with giving individual envelopes to bartender, room cleaner etc was still in operation, and for me this was VERY awkward (almost to the point of uncomforting...and not for the money itself but for the handing out to each individual). As far as I have heard the cruise companies changed this to make it easier for the Europeans to deal with the tipping ( I might be wrong here).

My point is though, if the tipping is fixed and mandatory it seems almost like hiding the real cost to just add it silently at the end even if they can claim that they inform about this prior to the cruise (in small letters somewhere). For me I alwayd remember this some days into the cruise and it's always an irritating discovery. If I didn't have the money to pay this i have no business on a cruise anyway, but it's still irritating to discover this cost later on since it is significant (for a family of 4 on 7 day cruise on GEM is 12 x 4 x 7 = USD 336). So even if I blame myself for always forgetting I think there is absolutely no logic in leaving it out until the end (apart from this claim earlier in the thread about taxes not applied to the amount in this way).

Archived