Currency for onboard accounts

wrp96

Yes, but RC will take ruthless advantage of you on the exchange rate.

Keep them and use them on your next trip abroad!

Ditto. Both GBP and EUR are not at unreasonable exch rates against the USD at the moment. Gives you more motivation to return to Europe!

Yes, but RC will take ruthless advantage of you on the exchange rate.

Keep them and use them on your next trip abroad!

RCI might take advantage, but not to the same extent as MSC did when I was on the Poesia.

I had a bill of about $60 odd dollars. At the time the exchange rate was about 1.5 dollars to the pound so I thought they would ask for £40 give or take. They told me they wanted £64 which equated to an exchange rate of approximately 0.94 dollars to the pound.

I politely informed him that it must have been a mistake, but he would have none of it.

I actually refused to pay and told them that I was quite happy to take it further if they would like to call security.

The arrogance of the cashier was breathtaking, and at no time did he concede that a mistake may have been made. He then called his supervisor who told him that he had been working it out incorrectly and the correct amount should be £38.

I'll be charitable and say that it may have been a mistake, but equally, it may have been opportunistic profiteering (aka scam) on the basis that they believed no one would make a fuss.

Morals of the story, for me anyway:-

1) Stand by your guns if you are utterly convinced you are in the right (knowing approximate exchange rates help)

2) MSC. Please ensure the people you put on your cashier desk have both the manner and the intelligence to do the job efficiently.

I know this is not the MSC forum, but I did post a review incorporating this story, and it seemed appropriate to tell the story.

Sorry if I bored you.;)

RCI might take advantage, but not to the same extent as MSC did when I was on the Poesia.

I had a bill of about $60 odd dollars. At the time the exchange rate was about 1.5 dollars to the pound so I thought they would ask for £40 give or take. They told me they wanted £64 which equated to an exchange rate of approximately 0.94 dollars to the pound.

I politely informed him that it must have been a mistake, but he would have none of it.

I actually refused to pay and told them that I was quite happy to take it further if they would like to call security.

The arrogance of the cashier was breathtaking, and at no time did he concede that a mistake may have been made. He then called his supervisor who told him that he had been working it out incorrectly and the correct amount should be £38.

I'll be charitable and say that it may have been a mistake, but equally, it may have been opportunistic profiteering (aka scam) on the basis that they believed no one would make a fuss.

Morals of the story, for me anyway:-

1) Stand by your guns if you are utterly convinced you are in the right (knowing approximate exchange rates help)

2) MSC. Please ensure the people you put on your cashier desk have both the manner and the intelligence to do the job efficiently.

I know this is not the MSC forum, but I did post a review incorporating this story, and it seemed appropriate to tell the story.

Sorry if I bored you.;)

This is an excellent point. ALWAYS know the approximate amount in your head. As unbelievable as it sounds, I have been told the 'opposite' amount before in a transaction, where the exch rate is applied in the opposite direction against the USD.

Though, garyorient, I sure wish I ran into your cashier - I'll take 0.94 dollars to the pound any day!!!

This is an excellent point. ALWAYS know the approximate amount in your head. As unbelievable as it sounds, I have been told the 'opposite' amount before in a transaction, where the exch rate is applied in the opposite direction against the USD.

Though, garyorient, I sure wish I ran into your cashier - I'll take 0.94 dollars to the pound any day!!!

I was thinking that my American friends would have jumped at it...............but then they would not have been paying in Sterling would they?:D;)

:D:D You should know where/whom to send your "leftovers" :D:D Just in case you can´t get rid of it...

steamboats

Thank you for the every so kind offer.

;)

You're coming to Europe!!! Yayyyy!!! :D

Yep, two weeks from now I will be on a plane winging my way to jolly old England to meet up with friends from CC. Loved your Radiance reports BTW.

Archived