Planning two weeks in Provence...

-Lew-

The last post makes me dizzy :). We certainly like Avignon as much as most folks, but not sure you can justify a round trip TGV trip from Paris for 1 night. But, if you you have your mind made up then we can certainly recommend you look into the Hotel d'Europe. This hotel (its pricy and very luxurious) is located inside the walls of the old city (this is where you want to be) and is perfect for folks who do not have a car. The only negative about the Hotel d"Europe is the price!

Hank

We're in a tighter bind, as we only have 5-6 days in France before catching the NCL Epic in Barcelona next Fall.

Hank and Terry and others who have responded to my original question are much more knowledgeable than I about Provence, but I do have some thoughts I'd like to pass along.

First, there are no bigger Disney fans than my wife and myself. Check out my avatar! We're Disney Vacation Club members and spend 5-6 weeks a year at Walt Disney World. I tell you this so you'll know where I'm coming from when I suggest that with just 5-6 days you leave Disneyland Paris for another trip. Is Disneyland Paris fun? Of course... But the experience is not that much different from that of Walt Disney World or Disneyland California.

According to Google Maps, Barcelona is 407km (233 miles) driving distance from Avignon. Perhaps you should consider renting a car and driving rather than taking a train all the way back to Paris to catch a plane. Check for trains or flights from Avignon or Nimes to Barcelona.

A quick check of the RailEurope site shows three trains per day to Barcelona from Avignon with a change in Montpellier St-Roch. They quote $102pp...much less if you purchase your tickets in France.

Good luck planning your trip...

Lew

Hank & Terry...

Finalized booking in Saint-Remy-de-Provence today. Thank you so much for your advice.

Our dates have changed... We'll be there 21 May - 4 June, then on to Paris for about 10 days. Now the search for an apartment in Paris begins...

Lew

Lew, DW and I are really excited for you. Its the perfect time of the year to be in Provence. And ten days in Paris! Wow! Anyway, here is a suggestion for you trip. On Sunday morning (guess that would be your first morning) you want to jump in the car by 9 and drive to Isle Sur La Sorgue where you will find one of the best markets in all of France. The market is huge and full of Antiques as well as the usual stands full of food, wine, and everything else. We are almost (but not quite) green with envy because we will be on a 41 day Prinsendam cruise at that time :) We also enjoy driving north to the Rhone valley wine region (easy day trip) and really liked the small wine village of Gigondas as well as the betterl known village of Chateauneuf de Pape. And of course there is Pond du Gard, Avignon, Arles, Les Baux., etc etc. Hmmm. Perhaps you need a third week.

Hank

Hank and Terry and others who have responded to my original question are much more knowledgeable than I about Provence, but I do have some thoughts I'd like to pass along.

First, there are no bigger Disney fans than my wife and myself. Check out my avatar! We're Disney Vacation Club members and spend 5-6 weeks a year at Walt Disney World. I tell you this so you'll know where I'm coming from when I suggest that with just 5-6 days you leave Disneyland Paris for another trip. Is Disneyland Paris fun? Of course... But the experience is not that much different from that of Walt Disney World or Disneyland California.

According to Google Maps, Barcelona is 407km (233 miles) driving distance from Avignon. Perhaps you should consider renting a car and driving rather than taking a train all the way back to Paris to catch a plane. Check for trains or flights from Avignon or Nimes to Barcelona.

A quick check of the RailEurope site shows three trains per day to Barcelona from Avignon with a change in Montpellier St-Roch. They quote $102pp...much less if you purchase your tickets in France.

Good luck planning your trip...

Lew

I agree with Lew about skipping Disneyland Paris on such a short trip. I did that for a day - but only when we were in Paris for a week.

I also would not return by train to Paris to fly to Barcelona, as you will waste precious time backtracking. Do as Lew suggested and either rent a car or take the train from Avignon to Barcelona.

I agree with Lew about skipping Disneyland Paris on such a short trip. I did that for a day - but only when we were in Paris for a week.

I also would not return by train to Paris to fly to Barcelona, as you will waste precious time backtracking. Do as Lew suggested and either rent a car or take the train from Avignon to Barcelona.

Thanks for all the feedback! That's exactly the kind of help I need planning our first European trip! :)

I had originally wanted to take the train from Paris to Avignon and then to Barcelona, but heard there might be a confusing change of trains required along the route. Will have to check into it again. I think also someone had told me flying was so much quicker and less costly.

There was some info about car rentals when I was looking into them that kind of scared me off, as there was a hefty charge to pick up in one country and drop off in another.

The Disneyland side trip would satisfy our quest to try and visit all of the Disney parks, but I can see how it causes us to lose a day in Paris during such a short trip.

I think my initial "rookie mistake" while planning is thinking we may never get back to these places so we need to cram everything in.

As I mentioned earlier, the trip to Avignon is the only "must-do" for personal reasons.

You've certainly given me a lot to think about and I sure do appreciate it!

With expert advice from good folks like you, this trip is sure to turn out great! So glad we have a year to get it together!

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the feedback! That's exactly the kind of help I need planning our first European trip! :)

I had originally wanted to take the train from Paris to Avignon and then to Barcelona, but heard there might be a confusing change of trains required along the route. Will have to check into it again. I think also someone had told me flying was so much quicker and less costly.

There was some info about car rentals when I was looking into them that kind of scared me off, as there was a hefty charge to pick up in one country and drop off in another.

The Disneyland side trip would satisfy our quest to try and visit all of the Disney parks, but I can see how it causes us to lose a day in Paris during such a short trip.

I think my initial "rookie mistake" while planning is thinking we may never get back to these places so we need to cram everything in.

As I mentioned earlier, the trip to Avignon is the only "must-do" for personal reasons.

You've certainly given me a lot to think about and I sure do appreciate it!

With expert advice from good folks like you, this trip is sure to turn out great! So glad we have a year to get it together!

Thanks again!

The flight itself is quicker, but not when you factor in taking the train back to Paris and then getting to the airport 2 hours before your flight.

Looking at your cruise ticker, the Epic departs on a Monday. If you originally planned to fly from Paris to Barcelona on Friday, do you need 3 nights in Barcelona pre-cruise? If so, I would suggest cutting a night from Paris (by skipping Disneyland) and adding a night in Avignon. Your schedule might look like this:

Sunday - arrive in Paris (3 nights), get a 2-day Museum Pass and enjoy almost 3 full days in Paris!

Wednesday - take the train to Avignon (2 nights)

Friday - take the train or drive to Barcelona (3 nights)

Monday - cruise begins!

We agree with Nancy (above). I makes little sense to train from Avignon back to Paris to later fly to Barcelona. Not only does this add to the cost (TGV trains are not cheap) but it simply wastes a lot of time since you must plan at being at CDG several hours before your flight and must also consider that the TGV trains do have more then their share of delays. Taking the train from Avignon to Barcelona (you will probably have to change on Montpellier) is a long ride (probably about 5 hours) but is also a pretty relaxing day compared to having the deal with the hassles at CDG. As to DisneyLand Paris, we tend to think of Paris as an adult Disneyland and would find it very difficult to give-up a day in Paris for Disneyland. You have so many other options if you want to leave the city such as taking the train out to Versailles.

Hank

My wife and I are planning to do the Seabourn Legend Yachtman's Riviera next May and would love any anysight from past cruisers. This would be our first (hopefully of many) on Seabourn and look forward to the experience. While we have done a few cruises to the Caribbean and spent time in London and Paris, the south of France looks fantastic. We are starting to do research on where we want to retire and may need to visit several times - I can't wait!

Looking to add a week after the cruise perhaps between Nice, Nimes and/or Marseilles. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The flight itself is quicker, but not when you factor in taking the train back to Paris and then getting to the airport 2 hours before your flight.

Looking at your cruise ticker, the Epic departs on a Monday. If you originally planned to fly from Paris to Barcelona on Friday, do you need 3 nights in Barcelona pre-cruise? If so, I would suggest cutting a night from Paris (by skipping Disneyland) and adding a night in Avignon. Your schedule might look like this:

Sunday - arrive in Paris (3 nights), get a 2-day Museum Pass and enjoy almost 3 full days in Paris!

Wednesday - take the train to Avignon (2 nights)

Friday - take the train or drive to Barcelona (3 nights)

Monday - cruise begins!

Thanks Nancy and Hank!

I believe our cruise leaves Barcelona on Sunday, so I was counting on arriving Friday sometime and staying for 2 nights. Other than that, I like this schedule better!

The planning really IS half the fun! :D

Thanks Nancy and Hank!

I believe our cruise leaves Barcelona on Sunday, so I was counting on arriving Friday sometime and staying for 2 nights. Other than that, I like this schedule better!

The planning really IS half the fun! :D

You're right...guess I should've LOOKED at the 2011 calendar! (I thought our Oct. 20, 2011 cruise departed on a Friday, but it's a Thursday!)

My wife and I are planning to do the Seabourn Legend Yachtman's Riviera next May and would love any anysight from past cruisers. This would be our first (hopefully of many) on Seabourn and look forward to the experience. While we have done a few cruises to the Caribbean and spent time in London and Paris, the south of France looks fantastic. We are starting to do research on where we want to retire and may need to visit several times - I can't wait! Looking to add a week after the cruise perhaps between Nice, Nimes and/or Marseilles. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The smaller Seabourn ships like the Legend are wonderful. We did the Seabourn Spirit in late June 2006 for the Greek Isles and Turkish Coast. Its size works well for these areas of the Med and their service is very "personal".

On your options for the south of France, much depends on how you want to balance on the countrysides versus the cities? What's your interests there??? Marseilles can be somewhat of an industrial port, blue-collar. Nice is a great city on the water, but it can be congested as things get into the peak tourist season. We love the countryside around Avignon, St Remy, etc., with their great history, sites and sights. How much are you interested in history? Museums, food, wine, art, markets, music, shopping, architecture, etc.? Then, with more detailed information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests. Here are a few of my favorites for this area, plus some pictures of what you can enjoy:

Why do people love Provence? It is a region having a love affair with the land, earth and environment. The landscape is lush and verdant. Open-air markets have baskets of fresh herbs, fruits, flowers, fabrics, etc. The colorful spirit of the Mediterranean fills the air. Provence is nature at its purest. The sky is a piercing shade of blue. Fields are abundant and the air is clear. The climate ensures that spring, summer and fall yield magnificent and varied harvests. Throughout France, Provence is known for the best of everything natural. People in the area take great pride in these natural traditions for what they grow and how it is prepared in each village and every kitchen. Provence enjoys a southern sun that shines 320 days yearly, giving the region blue skies and mild temperatures year round. It is most picturesque in the spring with its flowering trees and shrubs. Summer offers local markets full of fresh harvests. Mid July is when the lavender field are in full bloom, filling the country air with a soothing fragrance. The Mistral winds can bring icy temperatures on bright sunny days. Getting lost can be fun in Provence. You can stumble across a charming village, history abbey or great tree-lined roadway.

KEY PROVENCE LOCATIONS:

AVIGNON is "one of the great art cities of France". Its old part of town has the Papal Palace, seat of Popes 1309-1377, street musicians perform near palace; art museum in Place du Palais open Wednesday through Monday, population of 87,000, town is on Rhone River. Once the religious, political and financial capital, Avignon is today a cultural capital and plays host annually in July to the largest festival of live theatre in the world. It has some of the best example of Gothic architecture in Europe.

AIX-EN-PROVENCE (population of 125,000) with Cezanne's studio on the road to Entremont; university town founded 122 B.C. as first Roman settlement in Gaul, near thermal springs, dining at Gu et Fils. An elegant and beautiful town, the visitor will enjoy discovering its ‘thousand fountains’ as he or she roams through its labyrinth of narrow streets. Aix-en-Provence is also renowned worldwide for its unique classical music festival.

Car travel to such nearby areas as ARLES, highest priority area city with Roman ruins, including 20,000 seat arena where bull fights are held in the summer; founded 49 B.C. by Julius Caesar, population of 52,000, Van Gogh's former home. Tarascon has its 15th century castle. LES BAUX is a very neat medieval village with great views that has no major population now, but tourist flock to soak up its history and great views. You should dine right near there at L'Oustau de Beaumaniere for ONE OF THE BEST MEALS YOU CAN HAVE IN FRANCE (lunch is more affordable).

NIMES was settled 121 B.C. and has a population of 140,000. Around the time of Julius Caesar, Nimes was a bustling city on the strategic Via Domitia linking Rome to Iberia/Spain. Nimes's arena, temple and nearby aqueduct are among the best-preserved in all of the former empire. Cars are banished from the compact old city dotted with other ruins, enhancing the feel of yesteryear. The Maison Carre is an almost impossibly pristine Roman temple.

ST. REMY has its Roman ruins, a population of 9000 and is the setting of world-famous literature. Saint-Remy is one of the most representative of Provençal towns and allows the visitor to appreciate the true charm of this oft-celebrated region of the country. It comes as no surprise that Saint Remy, like Cannes or Saint Tropez, is a destination for many well-known personalities. This Gallo-Roman village is on the plains 20 km south of Avignon. Residents more recent than the Romans include Dr. Schweitzer, Dr. Nostradamus and Van Gogh. The picturesque, old village is protected by the circular 14th-century wall which is lined by its protective circle of buildings. Its dolphin fountain is located in the shaded square in front of a 16th century old convent. This is a busy, active village, with a good selection of restaurants and hotels for the traveller. Among the shops are a few with some regional pottery, including some beautiful sunflower plates influenced by Van Gogh. The road between St. Remy and the autoroute (at Cavaillon, 17 km to the east) is a scenic drive out of the past: the road is lined by plane trees .

PONT DU GARD (Roman aqueduct/bridge) to the west of Avignon is a must see with its well-preserved history and beautiful setting. Saturday AM market at Uzes near Pont du Gard can be totally charming and wonderful.

CHÂTEAUNEUF-DU-PAPE translates as "New Castle of the Pope" and is entwined with papal history. When in 1308, Pope Clement V, former Archbishop of Bordeaux, relocated the papacy to the city of Avignon, future "Avignon Popes" did much to promote wine growing, especially the viticulture in the 5–10 km north of Avignon area close to the banks of the Rhône River. The blend is usually predominantly Grenache for this area. Wine critic Robert M. Parker, Jr. has promoted the wines of Châteauneuf and helped inflate their populartiry and price. A 2007 New York Times story noted: “A good Châteauneuf-du-Pape is first and foremost a wine-lover's wine. Other wines can give you gloss and symmetry, the sort of good looks that are obvious even if you aren't much of a wine drinker. But Châteauneuf does not lend itself to smoothness and polish.”

Reactions and questions? THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Along the scenic southern French coast west of Cannes:

CannesWCoast.jpg

In the heart of Provence, this is the famed Roman-built Pont du Gard. It's an amazing engineer accomplishment:

ProvPontGardWide.jpg

Here we are walking in Nimes towards its Roman arena. There are nearby historic temple and aqueduct structures that are among the best-preserved in all of the former empire. Cars are banished from the compact old city dotted with other ruins, enhancing the feel of yesteryear. The Maison Carre is an almost impossibly pristine Roman temple in Nimes.:

ProvenceArenaWalk.jpg

Here’s a sampling of the fun at a market day in Provence:

ProvMarketShopping.jpg

ProvCheeseMarket.jpg

The charming mountain top village of Eze is nearby and offers great view along the coast:

EzeBldgView.jpg

Terry, After checking out your pictures again, I decided we're going to just bring you along with us so we get to see all those places too! :D That's exactly what I picture when I think of Southern France!

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! Let me know on getting your credit card number so we can have OUR travels booked for southern France. I'll take lots of nice pictures at no extra charge. Have you looked at the pictures posted for Copenhagen, Norway? Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

My wife and I are planning to do the Seabourn Legend Yachtman's Riviera next May and would love any anysight from past cruisers. This would be our first (hopefully of many) on Seabourn and look forward to the experience. While we have done a few cruises to the Caribbean and spent time in London and Paris, the south of France looks fantastic. We are starting to do research on where we want to retire and may need to visit several times - I can't wait!

Looking to add a week after the cruise perhaps between Nice, Nimes and/or Marseilles. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Its hard to beat Seabourn. As to spending time in the south of France, we think that Provence is a great area for at least one week (we could spend months in that region) and you can see the posts in the thread about St Remy (a small town) and nearly Avignon (a great city to visit). There is also much to say for spending some time in the Loire Valley region where there are many interesting chateau's, vineyads, etc. We are strong advocates for driving vacations in France as many of the nicest places to visit are pretty rural and you can only do it with a car (or the dreaded tour bus).

Hank

Terry, I have seen some of your photos on other threads and they are fantastic. You must be a walking travel guru. Rick Steves has nothing on you, as you capture the true essence that exudes excitement. The markets remind us of Paris (we always stay in the Marais), and the scenery - magnificent!

As for our interests, they are varied and we love the rich history that France offers. From travel, museums, art, food, wine, music, architecture - they all have a place in our hearts. We are suburban folk, so while the coutry side is a great place for a visit, it is not where we would consider moving. Beautiful semi-small town, great weather most of the year, near a train station with a place for future American retirees to call home is our goal. So for the first trip, we are looking to just get our feet wet and after our days in Corsica, Le Lavandou, Marseille, Sanary-su-mer, Saint Raphael, Cannes and Monte Carlo, we want a week to delve deeper in just 1 or 2 cities. Then we'll go back a couple of weeks at a time, doing only land trips and immerse in the culture that can only be France.

Anyone else craving a crepe?

Terry, I have seen some of your photos on other threads and they are fantastic. You must be a walking travel guru. Rick Steves has nothing on you, as you capture the true essence that exudes excitement. The markets remind us of Paris (we always stay in the Marais), and the scenery - magnificent!

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures and travel knowledge! YES, I would like to have just a little of THE MONEY that Rick Steves has made. And, all of his travel costs are tax-deductable. What a life!!??

Yes, we super love the Marais and its nearby Sunday Market. Good earlier mention on the Loire Valley, which has such great history and architecture. Below are a couple of visuals samples. Then there is Champagne Country, Burgundy, etc., etc. Does this get your more excited for travel in France before or after a cruise?

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

In the Loire River valley, here is one chateau with a spectacular garden area and then next is my picture of the area's largest chateau, Chambord:

LoireGardens.jpg

LoireChambord.jpg

In the heart of Burgundy, SE of Paris, is the charming town of Beaune with its Saturday market day and then outside of town us one of the famed vineyards:

BeauneMarketFlow.jpg

BurgundyVineyards.jpg

In Epernay, this is the statute of Dom Perignon where this Champagne and other Moet products are produced:

DomPerignonStat.jpg

In a bistro-style dining place in Reims, we enjoyed dinner in this special setting:

ReimsDining.jpg

We have been to Provence several times and have rented a house each time. Our favorite area is the Luberon-- dozens of quaint hillside villages. One thing you should consider when looking at various locations is parking. The roads are narrow and parking can be an issue. If you have a car, I would recommend a smaller base than Aix or Avignon. These are really mini-cities. You might want to consider Bonnieux or as others have suggested St Remy.

I am planning a similar trip with 3 friends for May and have found a fabulous apartment in Paris and a lovely home with pool in St Remy. I booked both through VRBO. I have used this site many times for home rentals both at home and abroad and have always been pleased. Renting a home or apartment is a great way to enjoy a foreign city -- it is cheaper, you can eat some of your meals in if you choose and you get to experience the city like a local

You may have missed my post above. We have booked in Saint-Remy-de-Provence on the good advice I received for May 21 - June 4.

We're now going through a search in Paris for June 4 - June 14. If I may ask, which apartment did you find to your liking in Paris?

I'm finding that owners aren't getting back to me as quickly or at all for Paris apartments. I have emailed a number of them through the VRBO site with only two responses.

Lew

You may have missed my post above. We have booked in Saint-Remy-de-Provence on the good advice I received for May 21 - June 4.

We're now going through a search in Paris for June 4 - June 14. If I may ask, which apartment did you find to your liking in Paris?

I'm finding that owners aren't getting back to me as quickly or at all for Paris apartments. I have emailed a number of them through the VRBO site with only two responses.

Lew

As I mentioned earlier, we booked our Paris apartment through Vacation in Paris - based in New Jersey. The company was very easy to deal with, and they had a lot of choices. However, we also visited Paris in June, and my first choice apartment was unavailable - and that was booking a year in advance.

As I mentioned earlier, we booked our Paris apartment through Vacation in Paris - based in New Jersey.

Hi Nancy,

Yes, I did check out that site. Your post reminded me to take another look. I found two of interest in the 5th and emailed Vacation in Paris this morning about availability.

Lew

Keeping up on this thread is so informative and relaxing but it makes it difficult to keep my mind on work and not daydream. Thank you all for such great information. My wife & I love to walk and explore, so we prefer not to drive unless absolutely necessary, thus being near the sights and sounds of the city please us. Besides, with the train transportation so easily available, other areas are quick and inexpensive to travel to. I have looked at a couple of place on vrbo and this may be a possiblity. We can get home from either Marseille or Nice, just flight times are limited. Looking at what train schedules are currently available, we may need to spend 1 night in Nice after the cruise and 1 night Nice or Marseille) before flying home, but the other 5 nights will be in either Avignon or Aix-en Provence. Still can't decide! Both look fantastic and either would do well - just might have to make 2 trips - darn.

I've read that Avignon's crime rate is very high compared to most French citiies - anyone chime in? Appears that staying in the within the old walled city is best - correct?

Looking forward to more input.

Looking at what train schedules are currently available, we may need to spend 1 night in Nice after the cruise and 1 night Nice or Marseille) before flying home, but the other 5 nights will be in either Avignon or Aix-en Provence. Still can't decide! Both look fantastic and either would do well - just might have to make 2 trips - darn. I've read that Avignon's crime rate is very high compared to most French citiies - anyone chime in? Appears that staying in the within the old walled city is best - correct? Looking forward to more input.

Aix is very nice, but Avignon is smaller in size and closer to some of the other key places/attractions in the general area. The trains are nice in France, but to best see and explore all of the charm, small villages and countrysides, a car is much more time-efficent. We did have an "incident" in Nimes when a family of gypsy kids surrounded us and took my wife's billfold. In some places, these "gangs" will be very aggressive, working to distract you, etc. It wasn't fun. Fortunately we got the wallet and credit cards back at the police station, with just the cash taken. I don't think "crime" is a big problem in most areas of France, but you need to be careful and protect yourself from being too easy or trusting of a "target".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived