ANC-Seward Grandview train transfer ?s

jimlssi

We are not on the Regent hotel package, but are traveling independently on the Grandview train ANC to Seward. Because we are not on their hotel package, Regent will not transfer our luggage direct from the hotel (I checked), so we will be making our way with luggage by taxi from hotel to the train station opposite the airport.

1.Are seats first come or on an assigned basis at check in?

2.How early should we be at station (train departs 1pm) to get forward facing seats? I assume a mad rush will be on to get these. Is the train backed into the terminal, so you can actually determine forward facing direction?

3.Any food service facility in the terminal? I know they sell snacks /drinks on the train; no cash, pay by credit card only.

4.TSA security screening prior to boarding?

Thanks,

Jim

We are not on the Regent hotel package, but are traveling independently on the Grandview train ANC to Seward. Because we are not on their hotel package, Regent will orr making our way with luggage by taxi from hotel to the train station opposite the airport.

2.How early should we be at station (train departs 1pm) to get forward facing seats? I assume a mad rush will be on to get these. Is the train backed into the terminal, so you can actually determine forward facing direction?

3.Any food service facility in the terminal? I know they sell snacks /drinks on the train; no cash, pay by credit card only.

Thanks,

Jim

Sorry about your issues with getting your luggage directly from the hotel to the ship. I do have a contact at Regent who has helped me greatly and might be able to help you here as well since you have purchased the train transfer and I see no reason why you should have to shlep your luggage to the airport and the ship people should need to be rushed late in the boarding process once the train arrives in Seward. Please contact me off line at rallydave@pobox.com and I'll give you his e-mail and direct phone number.

Great questions. My DW and I have been wondering some of the same things but, thought we would just see what happens in Anchorage. Looking forward to some responses to be better prepared for the trip.

rallydave, I think a gentle, low key conversation with the Regent rep at the hotel might get the job done. After all, it's to the crew's advantage to receive as much luggage as possible, as early as possible via the truck from the two hotels. I am assuming that any luggage brought to the train goes in the train's freight car, which means more last minute work for the crew. Look for jimlssi in your in box.

Jim

Assigned at check in. If you have another couple / group with whom you wish to be seated, check in together.

2.How early should we be at station (train departs 1pm) to get forward facing seats? They wanted us there by 1p but our train didn't leave until more like 145p... All you can do is ask for the forward facing seats. They just generally assign groups by table working toward the back of the train.

I assume a mad rush will be on to get these. No mad rush seen by me but ???

Is the train backed into the terminal, so you can actually determine forward facing direction? I and one child were facing away from the terminal when seated and rode backwards after the track switch. Spouse and other child rode backwards for 5-10 minutes until the track switch and then forward the rest of the way.

3.Any food service facility in the terminal? Not in the train waiting area proper though you could run back into the public area of the airport if you want. One of our party ran up to mail a letter in the airport.

I know they sell snacks /drinks on the train; no cash, pay by credit card only.

The soup / chowder in the bread bowl was excellent. In addition to the table service, there is a bar area in the rear of the train (past the car where you register for embarkation / check in) with pastries, fruit, cookies.

TSA screening is after you de-train and before you embark the ship in an airplane hangar building.

I am assuming that any luggage brought to the train goes in the train's freight car

I don't think so. My understanding is that luggage brought to the train terminal by "private" transfer is loaded onto a coach / truck and taken by ground roads directly to the ship. This is how your luggage will have arrived and be in your stateroom prior to you getting there. (The road trip is shorter than the train trip).

TSA screening is after you de-train and before you embark the ship in an airplane hangar building.

I don't think so. My understanding is that luggage brought to the train terminal by "private" transfer is loaded onto a coach / truck and taken by ground roads directly to the ship. This is how your luggage will have arrived and be in your stateroom prior to you getting there. (The road trip is shorter than the train trip).

jimlssi,

Haven't received your e-mail as yet and not in my spam filter. The above response may partially solve your luggage issue but, still glad to provide Joe's e-mail and direct phone to see if he can solve your issue prior to your departure.

ededmd,

A couple of clarifications please.

Are the seat assigned at the checkin at the train terminal at the airport or at the pre-cruise hotel to those of us on a Regent package?

If the train left at 1:45 and the trip is approx. 4 hours 15 minutes, that would indicate that you didn't arrive at the ship until 6 PM and with security, etc., for sure the ship didn't depart on time at 6 PM. So, what time did you arrive in Seward and how long to get onto the Navigator?

Confused over your description of how you and your DW each rode facing the opposite way. Understand the train could change directions as would expect it to pull into the station, then back out and finally reverse directions for the trip to Seward. Unless one of you changed seats to facing the opposite way, all of you should have either faced the same way for the entire trip with the train not reversng or if the train reversed, you all would have faced the opposite direction after the reversal. Don't understand how two of you could have reversed while the other two didn't without changing seats??

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

Based on helpful info by edemd, I will not press the issue by using your friend at the "mother ship" (home office!), but thanks anyway. I to am a little confused by edemd's explanation of the seating direction, but I think what he is saying is that the darn thing turns around! Best just to inquire when we get our boarding tickets (you hopefully at the hotel and me at the train station). I will inquire of the Regent rep at the hotel about the best time to arrive at the train terminal, and will try to get there ahead of your group.

Jim

Dave,

Based on helpful info by edemd, I will not press the issue by using your friend at the "mother ship" (home office!), but thanks anyway. I to am a little confused by edemd's explanation of the seating direction, but I think what he is saying is that the darn thing turns around! Best just to inquire when we get our boarding tickets (you hopefully at the hotel and me at the train station). I will inquire of the Regent rep at the hotel about the best time to arrive at the train terminal, and will try to get there ahead of your group.

Jim

No problem Jim, was just trying to help. Am sure you will get there before us, as a matter of fact 2 weeks befor us as I believe you are on the southbount Sept. 1 cruise and my DW and I are on the Sept. 15 westbound cruise. Have a great time and save some of the Alaskan King Crab for us!!

If you get a chance when you get home, would appreciate a private e-mail about the procedure for the train and that experience so we are ready for everything.

Thanks,

It does seem a bit harsh that they won't handle your luggage for you.

The Grandview train is a cruise line charter after all and not the scheduled train (Coastal Classic which leaves much earlier) so you'd expect a little consideration.

Did you have to book the train through Regent?

window

A | | C

|table|

B | | D

AISLE

[[[[terminal]]]]...{front of train cars],{ ],{ ],{back of train] ----->

train backs out of terminal until it gets to the switching track then goes forward back towards the terminal and beyond.

child 1 = seat A, me = seat B, child 2 = seat C, spouse = seat D

probably no more clear, but I wanted to try.

Re: Are the seat assigned at the checkin at the train terminal at the airport or at the pre-cruise hotel to those of us on a Regent package?

This I don't know. We got there presumably after the Regent package folk but before many of the self transported folk. I don't know when they assigned the Regent package folk.

Re: If the train left at 1:45 and the trip is approx. 4 hours 15 minutes, that would indicate that you didn't arrive at the ship until 6 PM and with security, etc., for sure the ship didn't depart on time at 6 PM. So, what time did you arrive in Seward and how long to get onto the Navigator?

We left about 20-30 minutes after the train got in with the debarking passengers from Seward. I think we got in around 530-540p. Security was a breeze / efficient enough taking maybe 10 minutes. I do recall we left port a bit after 6p.

I learned I thoroughly enjoyed the train and have no regrets for taking it. However, if one wants to maximize time spent on board (including prior to sailaway), one is MUCH better off securing private transportation or taking the Regent coach over ground roads. It is a nice trip to do. Would probably do it a different way next time if we did Alaska again just to board the ship earlier and wander a bit...

ededmd,

Thanks for the reply and the explanation. It is clear that the train backs out of the station and then reverses for the trip to Seward so in order to sit in a forward direction, one must first go in a backward direction before the train turns around.

For reference, with this situation, no one could possibly sit forward or backward for the entire trip without changing seats when the train reverses.

Understand the train now and know which way to get seated as the train leaves the terminal. Guess we will check in with the hotel Regent representative upon arrival at the hotel to see when we can get our seat assignments.

Thanks for all the help. Now is pretty clear to us.

However, if one wants to maximize time spent on board (including prior to sailaway), one is MUCH better off securing private transportation or taking the Regent coach over ground roads. It is a nice trip to do. Would probably do it a different way next time if we did Alaska again just to board the ship earlier and wander a bit...

The normal scheduled train service leaves at 6:45 and gets in to Seaward around 11:am so that may work better if you want time in Seaward or more time on-board ship.

The normal scheduled train service leaves at 6:45 and gets in to Seaward around 11:am so that may work better if you want time in Seaward or more time on-board ship.

Just to be clear, this scheduled train as well as the scheduled bus is fine for the Sept. 1 arrival/departure. For the Sept. 15 arrival/departure at Seward, the tourist season has ended and the scheduled train and bus do not run so you will need the Regent transfers a taxi, limo, etc.

Also wondering about the comment about a Regent bus?? While we are reserved on the train, have not seen any information regarding a Regent provided bus and am wondering how that works and what the cost is??

Thanks in advance,

Also wondering about the comment about a Regent bus?? While we are reserved on the train, have not seen any information regarding a Regent provided bus and am wondering how that works and what the cost is??

I believe it was $149pp supplement for the train and $99pp supplement for the "motorcoach" for persons not on Regent transfers.

I worked out all this info with my TA.

Archived