Be VERY proud of our US Military and our Country!!!

greatam

OT and nothing to do with cruising, but one of the biggest thrills of my life happened last night.

I got to ride out of Iraq with some of the last of the US combat troops (except in a LITTLE more comfort, as I was in a Humvee). One of the FULL Stryker brigades had decided to leave Iraq the way they came in-overland. They have been in Iraq almost since the beginning and wanted to make a memorable exit. Most combat troops are flying out of BIAP (which is what I was supposed to do) and only skeleton crews are moving equipment out of Iraq.

The convoy was miles long (someone said 14 miles). There were a bunch of reporters along for the ride including some big time mucky muck from NBC with camera crew in tow and another 4 in a rental car, which I thought was really weird. I saw a One Star in the Convoy, another General at the border, and I got to ride with my favorite Master Sargeant who has helped me so much the last 18 months. A little spooky as we neared the Kuwait border-there have been some recent attacks on the daily supply convoys out of Kuwait and IED’s are always a possibility. And all of a sudden, guys from the Strykers were RUNNING.

I thought we were in danger (even though we had overhead air cover). Byron started screaming at me to get my helmet on (I already had the flak jacket on). I was ready to bail out and look for cover under one of the Strykers (what good that would have done, I don’t know but that was my first instinct). The Stryker guys were running for K-Bar Crossing-the border. We could then see the American flag they had flying on the Kuwait side of the border. Don’t know what the Iraqi border guards thought of the little display but oh, well. Other than the camels (huge, huge herd just south of K-Bar and it is a CRIMINAL offense to run over a camel in Kuwait), an uneventful trip into Camp Arifjan. They even let all of us civilians enter through the Convoy entrance instead of having to go through the normal search procedures (makes TSA security look like a walk).

I have just been beaming since we got onto the base. I feel very proud of our “kids” and our country. And am very thankful I have had a part in supporting our brave men and women.

OT and nothing to do with cruising, but one of the biggest thrills of my life happened last night.

I got to ride out of Iraq with some of the last of the US combat troops (except in a LITTLE more comfort, as I was in a Humvee). One of the FULL Stryker brigades had decided to leave Iraq the way they came in-overland. They have been in Iraq almost since the beginning and wanted to make a memorable exit. Most combat troops are flying out of BIAP (which is what I was supposed to do) and only skeleton crews are moving equipment out of Iraq.

The convoy was miles long (someone said 14 miles). There were a bunch of reporters along for the ride including some big time mucky muck from NBC with camera crew in tow and another 4 in a rental car, which I thought was really weird. I saw a One Star in the Convoy, another General at the border, and I got to ride with my favorite Master Sargeant who has helped me so much the last 18 months. A little spooky as we neared the Kuwait border-there have been some recent attacks on the daily supply convoys out of Kuwait and IED’s are always a possibility. And all of a sudden, guys from the Strykers were RUNNING.

I thought we were in danger (even though we had overhead air cover). Byron started screaming at me to get my helmet on (I already had the flak jacket on). I was ready to bail out and look for cover under one of the Strykers (what good that would have done, I don’t know but that was my first instinct). The Stryker guys were running for K-Bar Crossing-the border. We could then see the American flag they had flying on the Kuwait side of the border. Don’t know what the Iraqi border guards thought of the little display but oh, well. Other than the camels (huge, huge herd just south of K-Bar and it is a CRIMINAL offense to run over a camel in Kuwait), an uneventful trip into Camp Arifjan. They even let all of us civilians enter through the Convoy entrance instead of having to go through the normal search procedures (makes TSA security look like a walk).

I have just been beaming since we got onto the base. I feel very proud of our “kids” and our country. And am very thankful I have had a part in supporting our brave men and women.

Your post reveals the emotion that you must have felt and the pride that you experience while on this ride. It is the miltary that provide us the freedom to enjoy the pleasures like we have now like going on cruises. Thanks for the tribute and maybe the cruise lines can implement a better program for miltary and service people. Maybe after serving they can be sent on a charter cruise with other miltary personnel ? Or we can start a sponsor a family plan where we make donations while on board like the run for cancer to send families on cruises to show our gratitude ?

GreatAm, thanks for the wonderful report. I watched hours of it all live on MSNBC. Rachel Maddow in Bagdad was crying over the emotion of it all. I was very weepy myself.

I am thilled you are OK and that all the troops are OK (will still pray over those who remain behind.)

Very glad that you are safe! Please stay that way! Thanks so much for feeding our troops good food, safe food.

GreatAm: OT or not, thank you for your gracious and informative post. My wife and I discussed this event a short time ago after watching a report on TV. I will share your post with her. It is good to know that the convoy made it to Kuwait w/o incident. We have the best troops in the world and it is always a relief to see them on their way home and supported by Americans like you. It is a refreshing, welcome and appropriate change from the Vietnam era. Thank you, too for your efforts to help things go smoothly for our troops.

Fantastic post, too bad it can't show up unedited in the mass media! On ABC News this morning the reporter held the mike up to a soldier in a passing vehicle. He shouted "I'm going home, and we won!".

Let's not forget the "non combat" troops, civilians, and Iraqi citizens still in-country. Hopefully they are not in increasing danger as we hand over the reins.

I have one son who was a Ranger in the Army and another son who is still in the Army and the only bumper sticker I have ever had on my car is "Proud parent of a US Army soldier".

What a wonderful story and I'm proud of all of them!

We offer our great respect, admiration and huge thank you's to all our military men and women who have protected and guarded us during these most trying times. So glad you are now on 'safer ground' and soon you will be re-united with your families and friends. Also, a huge thank you to those troops who served in every other capacity! They couldn't have done it without you.

May G-d, whatever your beliefs, always keep each and every one of you in the palm of His Hand.

Stay Safe always!

A proud American!

Been a Canadian Soldier all of my adult life. Great post. I can tell you that there is nothing Free about Freedom. My bumper sticker reads:

"If you don't stand behind our troops - feel free to stand in front of them"

My Dad was career RCAF who also served overseas in France during the war so I understand your thoughts. I've worked with a few people who have volunteered for duty in Afghanistan. Luckily they all came home safe and sound. I'm greatful to each and every one of them.

Greatam - I would like to than you for sharing this hands on experience.

It's nice to step away from what we are doing and here information from one of our valued members who is there to give an eye witness account.

Mike

Archived