Elation or Calica

PinkJellyFish06

I will be sailing out of Mobile in 18 days on the Carnival Elation that goes to Cozumel & Calica. Any new reviews of the Elation? Or any reviews of Calica? Still trying to decide what to do there.

When we went to Calica we took an excursion to Chichen Itza mayan ruins - Its an all day excursion and was a lot of fun.

From Calica, I would recommend a trip or excursion to the Mayan ruins of Tulum. The ruins themselves aren't quite as spectacular as Chichen Itza, but its location on the water is amazing. It's also much closer to Calica than Chichen Itza is. You can also just hang out in Playa del Carmen, which is a very nice beach town.

Yes . . by all means visit the ruins at Tulum. The tour we took a few years ago took us to Tulum and then to the water park. Sorry you will have to do a Google search for it as the name eludes me at the moment. It was quite nice and I am sure you will enjoy them both.

We are going on the same cruise in Dec and plan to take a taxi to Playa and just hang out. Cozumel and Playa are probably our two favorite places in Mexico. I don't think you can go wrong with either Tulum or Xcaret, they are both great. If you happen to bring back a copy of the fun times, it would be great if you could post them. Have a great cruise!:D

just be prepared for some serious heat if you go to the ruins at talum. the tour guide told us it is a killer in august. we were there in mid march and could barely stand it. i would bring some power aide or something like that.

Agreed. We were there in March also and the heat was brutal. But the ice cold beer in the air-conditioned Subway right there sure was good afterwards.

Also consider Xel-ha. An awesome place.

I will be sailing out of Mobile in 18 days on the Carnival Elation that goes to Cozumel & Calica. Any new reviews of the Elation? Or any reviews of Calica? Still trying to decide what to do there.

Three times to Calica:

1. Chitzen Itza (LONG bus ride, but worth it)

2. Playa del Carmen (beautiful beaches)

3. Xel-Ha (natural waterpark. dolphin swim, etc.)

The actual docking port isn't anything, but there are many opportunities in the area.

Thank you so much for all of the replies! I would love to go to Tulum one day, but I think that we are going to skip it this time. Right now I am considering Xcaret. I am about to look up Xel-ha, because I have been seeing alot about it. Anybody have a preference of the two? I would prefer somewhere with good snorkeling but I really like the look of the lazy river at Xcaret. & I will make sure to post a review with lots of pictures when we get back!

Thank you so much for all of the replies! I would love to go to Tulum one day, but I think that we are going to skip it this time. Right now I am considering Xcaret. I am about to look up Xel-ha, because I have been seeing alot about it. Anybody have a preference of the two? I would prefer somewhere with good snorkeling but I really like the look of the lazy river at Xcaret. & I will make sure to post a review with lots of pictures when we get back!

I did the Tulum excursion, followed by a couple hours in PDC, on my first trip to Calica. Next time, I'd like to check out Xel-ha. I researched that and Xcaret, and for me, Xel-ha was the clear favorite between the two during a cruise stop. But that's just my opinion. Either one would be fun.

Has anyone done the excursions in Calica/Playa del Carmen that are offered by Island Marketing? They have one beach break type of thing that I think is at the Grand Coco Bay resort and a Catamaran Snorkel Steak/Lobster cruise that is from Catamaya. I keep trying to find out more info on them from folks, but can't find and recent posts. I'd love to hear anyone's feedback. You can just Google Island Marketing Calica to find them. Thanks!

Archived