Crusing with special needs person in wheelchair

Okc Nanny

Has anyone been to the Bahamas with someone in a wheelchair? I am talking about someone dependant on the chair that cannot walk. I am wondering if there is transportation available to take her in her chair. Thanks for any info on the subject.

Has anyone been to the Bahamas with someone in a wheelchair? I am talking about someone dependant on the chair that cannot walk. I am wondering if there is transportation available to take her in her chair. Thanks for any info on the subject.

I don't know about the Bahamas, sorry. My wife uses a wheelchair and the ship itself is great for this. Watch out for the occasional metal bump though.

Have you spoken with the Special Needs people from the cruiseline? They may be able to set up excursions that could accomodate you; or can recommend tour companys at your stops.

I travel with a scooter, and the Bahamas are tough when it comes to accessible transportation. There are a very few buses with lifts that can accommodate a wheelchair. The ferry to Atlantis is accessible, via a ramp. Unless the person can transfer from the chair to a van/car/taxi, your choices are limited in the Bahamas. If transfer is possible, you can find a number of vehicles that can take the wheelchair, as long as it's the folding kind. Now, if it's a power wheelchair, that's a totally different story and it will make things much more difficult.

Thanks everyone for your replys, this is her 4th carnival cruise just the first to the Bahamas. the ship is great and the handicap rooms are great as well just wondering about transporting her. It seems as though everywhere we have gone it is a problem with transportation on the Islands that is the biggest problem with her. Happy crusing to you all.

Archived