Oahu Local Bus to Hanauma Bay ?

shay1

Can someone answer question for us about taking the bus to Hanauma Bay to snorkel?

We have our own equipment and will be staying on Wakiki Beach for 2 days before 11 day cruise on Winde 5/21/05.

In some Guide books they mention that Hanauma Bay closes when area reaches 3,000.

Does this mean that if we are taking the bus which I believe does not start to pick up until 8:30 am that we could stand the chance of not being able to get in?

Appreciate any information on our first trip to Hawaii!

Yes you will want to get there early. Most everyone takes the bus so 8:30 or 9am should be fine. Walk a block back from your hotel to Kuhio St and take bus #22. It is $2 for adults and $1 for seniors and disabled. It costs $5 to get into the bay and you have to watch a 10 minute movie about how to protect the reef etc. We had to wait in line quite a while just to get into the movie. (another reason to get there early) Hanauma bay is closed on Tuesdays. Gee, I wish I was going! I love Hanauma Bay. Have fun, Linda

Gosh, Shay, if you had a week it would be easier to tell you. I guess I would do a circle island tour so you can see all of Oahu. Oahu is so much different when you get away from Waikiki and Honolulu. You can either rent a car and do it on your own or take a tour company and leave the driving to them. There is so much more to do in Oahu but you only have 2 days.

As for the hawaii cruise we rented cars on all the islands and had a blast doing our own thing. You save alot of money renting cars versus to the expensive ship tours. Youre going to have a wonderful vacation. Linda

I am cruising in Oct 2005 to Hawaii, but wanted to let you know that I h ave family there and have posted advice to others about what to do in Oahu... If you search my other posts (not too many since I've only been on here a few weeks) you can see what I have recommended.... let me know if you have any questions I will be happy to give my opinion or can ask local family questions as needed....

Thank you worldbestcandles,

That is so nice of you.

We are planning to stay at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. Do you have any idea if we will be able to get a shuttle from here to the pier for the cruise? If so how much?

We did not book air through NCL. They would only book us out of Tampa not Sarasota.

We are working with a local TA for the land and air Hawaii-Aloha. Do you or your family have any knowledge of them Good/Bad?

I still get nervous using the net to book our trips. Even though I do it all the time.

I'm not sure what you mean about the air - are you looking at Aloha Airlines or Hawaiian airlines? I usually fly northwest or hawaiian and have had no issues with either. As for the outrigger waikiki, that place is decent but as I have never cruised before I'm not sure about the cruise transportation. It isn't that far to the pier (if its near aloh tower) so a cab ridde wouldn't be too bad, but you may just want to call the hotel and ask what they have available. Sorry I can't help more than that....

Archived