Any issues with connecting/disconnecting I-Pad to Carnival wi-fi?

graceinga

I just bought an Ipad and we sail next month on the Dream. We usually bring our laptop but this time I want to bring my new toy, my Ipad. I'm probably just paranoid but I'm afraid it won't be as easy to disconnect and I'll charged for minutes I didn't actually use. Can anyone provide some insight? By the way, I have the 3G version not the one with wi-fi built into it.

I just bought an Ipad and we sail next month on the Dream. We usually bring our laptop but this time I want to bring my new toy, my Ipad. I'm probably just paranoid but I'm afraid it won't be as easy to disconnect and I'll charged for minutes I didn't actually use. Can anyone provide some insight? By the way, I have the 3G version not the one with wi-fi built into it.

All of the 3G iPads have wi-fi built in.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad

If you connect through 3G you will get charged at the international data rate which will probably be more expensive than using Carnival Wi-Fi.

Lets assume you are going the wi-fi route. Make sure your 3G is off. You can put it in airplane mode. Then turn on wi-fi and sign up for Carnival internet using the web browser. Turn off wi-fi when you aren't using it and you can avoid any unintended wi-fi usage.

One thing I discovered is that you always access the Carnival Web Page for free over wi-fi. I use that capability to check the prices on future cruises I was booked on. I snagged a $40 per person price drop that way while I was on a cruise.

Why do you need internet on a cruise, anyway :confused: It's vacation!!! Enjoy Dream!:)

Sometimes, it's a mode of transportation.

For example. Some people do business in southeast Alaska. They need to visit with customers in Ketchikan and Juneau. Flights, hotels, rental cars, meals,,,$1500. Cruise,,,,$899

Not everybody in the world hates their jobs, their co-workers, or the company they work for. Not everyone has an 8 - 5 deadend job where they have to always clock in and clock out. Some people have jobs where when they take a vacation, by the time they get back, they're already behind.

For all of those people, a half hour to an hour a day on the internet is priceless.

Thanks Scuba Mark - exactly what I needed to know. And you are right, I used the wrong terminology.

I'm a Director of HR and must check in daily. I'd go insane if I couldn't. It gives me peace of mind and usually only takes a few minutes a day. As klfrodo said, that is critical to really relaxing for me.

DH here....just returned from the Miracle and had a blast. I brought my iPad for the trip and had no problems with using the ships wifi network. I chose to pay as I go and it saved me bucks as I did not sit and surf but rather synch mail/schedule which went rather quickly.

Once you have an account setup....using safari......you can access web via safari and other apps. It might ask you to select a connection when opening mail or other apps for the first time....just press the carnival wifi option.

Now for the important tip....logging off. I found there were two ways and to be safe did both. First....through safari....the admin instructions were to enter 1.1.1.1 in the browser and it would initiate the logg off screen.....follow prompts. Second....I always turned off my wifi on the ipad.

I would basically synch my mail.....40-75 msg per day....work offline reviewing and responding.....then synch once again. On avg I used about 5-6 bucks per day of Internet time @ .75/min.

I did not do this everyday....after all I was on vacation... and after 20 years know while the cat is away the mice will play...and that is okay providing clients are happy and invoices are processed.

Enjoy your trip!

• 1 month later...

I just sailed on the Miracle last week and had no problems with my iPad. As the previous poster mentioned, just remember to turn off the WiFi when you are done. Disabling the WiFi connections (Settings->WiFi->Off) is good enough.

I bought the 100 minute block for $55. (plus $4 connection fee). If you sign up the first day, then they throw in an extra (I think) 20 minutes. So it brings the cost down to about .50/min.

I intended to just use it to check emails once or twice a day, but found that it was a great tool for getting up to date weather information for our direction of voyage ;)

• 2 years later...

I use an iPad and have had no issues on the ship. We also have to check in with work multiple times a day- it is what it is and it's a small price to pay to cruise.

It will tell you to disconnect type logout DOT com in your browser- obviously thats a url, cruise critic would strip it out if i used the url. it will log you out and give you a breakdown of how many minutes used and remaining. Have a Great cruise!!!!!!

Where's the best place on the ship/s to hook up, signal-strength-wise?

I should imagine Wifi in the cabin is not great/impossible

but what about public areas?

Surely they have transmitters stationed all over -but Where?

Sometimes, it's a mode of transportation.

For example. Some people do business in southeast Alaska. They need to visit with customers in Ketchikan and Juneau. Flights, hotels, rental cars, meals,,,$1500. Cruise,,,,$899

Not everybody in the world hates their jobs, their co-workers, or the company they work for. Not everyone has an 8 - 5 deadend job where they have to always clock in and clock out. Some people have jobs where when they take a vacation, by the time they get back, they're already behind.

For all of those people, a half hour to an hour a day on the internet is priceless.

LOL and some of us just want to post on Facebook to annoy our friends and co-workers at home :)

I also check with my cat sitter via email - a LOT cheaper than a phone call!

Where's the best place on the ship/s to hook up, signal-strength-wise?

I should imagine Wifi in the cabin is not great/impossible

but what about public areas?

Surely they have transmitters stationed all over -but Where?

Supposed to be accessible in the cabins, but that doesn't work well. On the Legend and the Miracle, I got the best reception just outside Satchmo's/Frankie & Johnnies lounge. It's not far from the Internet area and they had comfy chairs and couches, and big round windows to catch the view.

Seems to be a similar area on the Splendor - I'll probably try there.

I used my new toy...ooops my very important work tool, my new PAD, on the Freedom 2 weeks ago.

I did not change any settings just had the ipad look for the ships internet then followed the on screen directions and followed their recommendation of logging off after each use by typing in logoff.com in the address line.

When you go back in, it shows a history of your time too.

I followed it to the point where when I left the ship I left them with 2 minutes of time on my account.

For me, it was well worth it to check emails and more importantly, check on my dogs. Dog Care place has cameras to see your dog on the internet. Wife wanted to check at least twice a day....Very invaluable tool to keep wife happy. Wife happy, I am happy.

I have used both laptop and iPad on the ship and the iPad tends to connect and download much faster than the laptop. We just returned from a trans Atlantic on the Legend and I would sometimes have to connct to the internet while standing by the door to our suite, but 90% of the time I could connect on the balcony, even when we were between Bermuda and Ponta Delgada. I usually used a minute to download emails.

Here are some internet tips:

I write and send and receive manuscripts back throughout every cruise we go on Carnival ships 10 times a year, many times 12-15 day cruises.

Sometimes the connection gets clogged with people, and you will get more for your money if you can get a faster connection at a less busy time.

Go to their free sites: Carnival, JH Blog, etc. the gauge how crowded the internet is at them time you want to access it. If it is pitifully slow, that means there are a lot of people on it. Don't sign on and try later.

Early morning is a good time, and often during dinner and show times also is good. The connection is not bad when it is not "rush hour" on the ships internet. Port days is often a good time as well, also the middle of the night.

Avoid their computers, they are throttled back for speed, and you will connect much slower with them than your own equipment.

Make sure you always logout using the method above, and if you don't abuse it, or have a time when you did not disconnect, you can go down to the internet cafe and they will credit you back the minutes (don't abuse this privilege as Carnival is pretty good about it now, and won't be if tons of people are dishonest about this)

Archived