Could Brownville, Texas become a home port for cruise ships?

Brownsville is about six to ten years behind Corpus Christi in this process. In fact, Carnival has actively looked at the Corpus region for development.

State Rep Todd Hunter is leading the charge to bring a cruise terminal to Corpus.

With much of the infrastructure already in place and a huge number of hotels, restaurants, etc in the area I doubt that a cruise terminal in CC would suffer the fate of poor Bayport...

:)

Showing my marked geography skills, how far way from the Mexican border is CC?

Right at 200 miles from Corpus to Mexico.

Corpus being a cruise port would be cool. (I lived there many years and have family still there to visit too!)

I *love* Corpus, and not just because it is the World Headquarters of Whataburger.

Oh ya HAD to go there! Living in Kansas City, we have no Whataburgers here. Closest one is 272 miles, in Tulsa. And yes, we've done a road trip just to get one! Been a long time though so me thinks it's time again.

What happened to your funnel deck pic in your sig?

I could see Corpus. There's a couple of good Mexican, and Thai restaurants downtown and of course Snoopy's at the foot of the South Padre bridge. Plus the Christopher Columbus museum and the Lexington and there used to be a dog track. It's not that bad of a drive from San Antonio, a bit far from Houston, but I believe SW has frequent flights there from Hobby and SA.

I, for ht life of me, cannot see Brownsville as a crusie port. Way to far isolated form 90% of the cruisers (even the crazies in Texas). Thats a port you'd need 2 days to get into and 2 days to get out of.

I could see Corpus. There's a couple of good Mexican, and Thai restaurants downtown and of course Snoopy's at the foot of the South Padre bridge. Plus the Christopher Columbus museum and the Lexington and there used to be a dog track. It's not that bad of a drive from San Antonio, a bit far from Houston, but I believe SW has frequent flights there from Hobby and SA.

I, for ht life of me, cannot see Brownsville as a crusie port. Way to far isolated form 90% of the cruisers (even the crazies in Texas). Thats a port you'd need 2 days to get into and 2 days to get out of.

Brownsville is a five hour drive from San Antonio, an hour farther than Galveston.

Corpus Christi is two hours to the water from SA...

:)

I grew up in Corpus as well and it would have been nice if cruise ships were there when I was there. The flights in and out of Corpus are so expensive, we always used to fly in and out of San Antonio when we had to. It's also so far south that it can be a long drive for those living in Texas and of course those that don't live in Texas because Texas is so big!

~Regina

I have lived in Tx all my life and you couldn't pay me to go to Brownsville to board a ship! Very unsafe city! I don't care if it is for a cruise I would cruise out of somewhere else first.

I also agree the airport in Corpus is expencive. Probably because it is so tiny.

I have lived in Tx all my life and you couldn't pay me to go to Brownsville to board a ship! Very unsafe city! I don't care if it is for a cruise I would cruise out of somewhere else first.

I also agree the airport in Corpus is expencive. Probably because it is so tiny.

You couldn't pay me either to go to Brownsville....also, that would be a long haul for people driving, very long drive. You are almost to Mexico...with that being said, can you imagine what the airfare into Brownsville would be?!?! Do they even have an airport??? I know they probably do, but it has to be small.

~Regina

Archived