September 19th Vancouver, BC

Just a heads up to anyone disembarking or embarking this day...

Vancouver will have 6 cruise ships in the city - 4 at Canada Place and 2 at Ballantyne. This will mean a LOT of people. Come prepared for long line ups and allow plenty of time to get to/from the airport as cabs will be in huge demand.

Thanks for the Heads Up! We are heading out on 8/28 and back on 9/12 so we are a full week ahead of the mob...still planning on using my NEXUS card.

I'll keep a look out for you boarding the Diamond!

ceilidh1 - I'll be on one of those ships, but, "in transit" for the next leg. Do they have special/separate lines at Canada Place for those of us who will just be getting off and then back on again? I'd heard that we will have to get off the ship in order for it to be cleared, and then can either get back on, or go off and tour. I was thinkiing of taking the "hop-on/hop-off" bus for a quick tour around the city, but, not sure if I want to do that if it will mean waiting in a long line to be back on board. [Ryndam/Holland America].

And thanks so much for the tip. I've alerted folks on our roll-call who will either be embarking or disembarking that day. Good to know!

Just bumping this up to catch ceilidh1's attention, or anyone else who can help. I know we'd have to go through security again if we left the terminal. Would we have to go through US customs again? I've read that there should be a separate line for us to use to get back on board, i.e., if I want to get back on board before they're letting the new passengers on, will that be possible?

If Holland operates the same way as Princess, you will need to come off the ship and clear US immigration. If you are not leaving the terminal, you will simply cut through in front of screening (you won't be screened unless you exit) and straight through to US immigration. There will be a designated booth for in transit passengers, so be sure to let staff working this area know and you won't need to wait in the general line up. With Princess, you can reboard immediately as an in transit passenger. If you do choose to leave the terminal, you will need to clear screening - this is where the biggest line ups will be, so I would definitely return as late as possible. Also, try heading for the "crew" screening - often you can go through here with your in transit card...again, not sure if HAL does things differently, but it's worth asking and it will get you out of the general passenger line up. There will be lots of staff around in the terminal, but many are staff from other lines that are helping out on this crazy day - be sure to look for the HAL reps wearing red jackets as they will give you the most accurate info. Hope this helps!

ceilidh1 - I'll be on one of those ships, but, "in transit" for the next leg. Do they have special/separate lines at Canada Place for those of us who will just be getting off and then back on again? I'd heard that we will have to get off the ship in order for it to be cleared, and then can either get back on, or go off and tour. I was thinkiing of taking the "hop-on/hop-off" bus for a quick tour around the city, but, not sure if I want to do that if it will mean waiting in a long line to be back on board. [Ryndam/Holland America].

And thanks so much for the tip. I've alerted folks on our roll-call who will either be embarking or disembarking that day. Good to know!

I just posted a new thread under "2-3 hours in Vancouver" that might be less stressful than the tour bus. I suggest taking the SeaBus from Waterfront Station, next to Canada Place, and heading over to North Vancouver's Lonsdale Quay area. We did it yesterday and had a great time.

Viv

Given that I'll be a full day in Vancouver before my original embarkation, I think I'll stick close to the ship on our second visit. It'll be kind of nice to have the ship pretty much to ourselves, i.e., those of us who are in transit.

I can't walk too far, so am a bit limited in what I choose. If the lines are long on the 12th, when I board the ship, I'll ask for wheelchair assistance.

I've just recently moved to the west coast and expect I'll be doing much more cruising on this coast and will have ample chances to see more of Vancouver without all the hassles.

Sure appreciate all the tips! These boards are great!

If Holland operates the same way as Princess, you will need to come off the ship and clear US immigration. If you are not leaving the terminal, you will simply cut through in front of screening (you won't be screened unless you exit) and straight through to US immigration. There will be a designated booth for in transit passengers, so be sure to let staff working this area know and you won't need to wait in the general line up. With Princess, you can reboard immediately as an in transit passenger. If you do choose to leave the terminal, you will need to clear screening - this is where the biggest line ups will be, so I would definitely return as late as possible. Also, try heading for the "crew" screening - often you can go through here with your in transit card...again, not sure if HAL does things differently, but it's worth asking and it will get you out of the general passenger line up. There will be lots of staff around in the terminal, but many are staff from other lines that are helping out on this crazy day - be sure to look for the HAL reps wearing red jackets as they will give you the most accurate info. Hope this helps!

I'm curious. Why would passengers disembarking in Vancouver need to clear US Immigration?

Is this an expedited clearance for US bound passengers at the port rather than at the airport? If this is the case, I assume they are in "quarantine" until they are behind US Customs and Immigration and security screening at the airport.

I'm curious. Why would passengers disembarking in Vancouver need to clear US Immigration?

Is this an expedited clearance for US bound passengers at the port rather than at the airport? If this is the case, I assume they are in "quarantine" until they are behind US Customs and Immigration and security screening at the airport.

The OP will not be disembarking - he is in transit, so will need to pre-clear for his first US port of call.

Archived