New To Princess!!!

RicardoC

Hi all how are you doing?

We always wanted to "try" princess but until now never had an opportunity. After several cruises in the Caribbean and a couple in Brazil and Europe we decided we wanted to visit a whole new continent next summer so started to search for cruises that would make a great vacation and saw the Sun Princess South Pacific cruises....I saw the ship is older than most Princess ships but looks to be in good shape....but at the same time read really bad reviews about it so would like to know what should I expect from Princess and the Sun Princess....

Thank You :):cool:

We like the Sun Princess, and prefer it to the newer Grand and modified Grand class ships, which are much larger.

The mini-suites are quite nice, and as large as full suites on many other ships.

Balconies, cut from the hull, are smaller than the newer ships.

I am not a fan of the newer mega ships, about 2000 pax is just perfect for me. With that being said, I am not a fan of the Sun class ships of Princess. I am sure it ok, and even sailed on the Sun several years ago....it is just there is so much better out there. The Island or Coral are very good examples and even though it holds about 2600 pax, the Golden and her sisters are very nice ships as well.

Just nothing special about the Sun class ships that make them stand out IMHO.

By the way, love your signature quote!!

Hell, welcome to the Princess Board!

I have sailed the Sun twice and wouldn't hesitate to sail her if the itinerary was good. I have found her to be a wonderful smaller ship where you get to know more people of board. You do lose some of the offerings of the bigger ships though. The balcony carved out of the hull is a definite draw back. You will have the Horizon Court but you won't have Cafe Caribe, the International Cafe, and few other small things, but I would definitely sail her.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Thanks for all the responses!

We like the Sun Princess, and prefer it to the newer Grand and modified Grand class ships, which are much larger.

The mini-suites are quite nice, and as large as full suites on many other ships.

Balconies, cut from the hull, are smaller than the newer ships.

Yes a suite(maybe our first:rolleyes:) would be good because of the space since its a 14 night with several days at sea which we like to spend some time relaxing in our stateroom....

I am not a fan of the newer mega ships, about 2000 pax is just perfect for me. With that being said, I am not a fan of the Sun class ships of Princess. I am sure it ok, and even sailed on the Sun several years ago....it is just there is so much better out there. The Island or Coral are very good examples and even though it holds about 2600 pax, the Golden and her sisters are very nice ships as well.

Just nothing special about the Sun class ships that make them stand out IMHO.

By the way, love your signature quote!!

I wanna try the larger ones someday(the Island/Coral Class looks nice....our favorite type of ships with less people but still a good size and options to do like the Brilliance OTS and X Solstice) but this one is for the itinerary that looks nice from Singapore to Australia :eek: but we want to try the larger ones someday and yes its a nice quote I found somewhere I don't remember :p;)

Hell, welcome to the Princess Board!

I have sailed the Sun twice and wouldn't hesitate to sail her if the itinerary was good. I have found her to be a wonderful smaller ship where you get to know more people of board. You do lose some of the offerings of the bigger ships though. The balcony carved out of the hull is a definite draw back. You will have the Horizon Court but you won't have Cafe Caribe, the International Cafe, and few other small things, but I would definitely sail her.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Well as long as the ship is clean and does not look too old(the Sovereign OTS was an example of an older ship refurbished that looked good) its ok. Since we'd never been to any other Princess ship I think we should not have these comparisons....I'd like to know more about the dining options(are there specialty restaurants like Sabatini's?) as well as quality(I heard its usually good but read some awful reviews) and see some pics of the ship....its hard to find a review with pics of this ship &/or itinerary in here so if anyone knows please tell me :D

Thanks for all the responses!

Yes a suite(maybe our first:rolleyes:) would be good because of the space since its a 14 night with several days at sea which we like to spend some time relaxing in our stateroom....

I wanna try the larger ones someday(the Island/Coral Class looks nice....our favorite type of ships with less people but still a good size and options to do like the Brilliance OTS and X Solstice) but this one is for the itinerary that looks nice from Singapore to Australia :eek: but we want to try the larger ones someday and yes its a nice quote I found somewhere I don't remember :p;)

Well as long as the ship is clean and does not look too old(the Sovereign OTS was an example of an older ship refurbished that looked good) its ok. Since we'd never been to any other Princess ship I think we should not have these comparisons....I'd like to know more about the dining options(are there specialty restaurants like Sabatini's?) as well as quality(I heard its usually good but read some awful reviews) and see some pics of the ship....its hard to find a review with pics of this ship &/or itinerary in here so if anyone knows please tell me :D

Please remember the Sun Princess is the oldest ship in the Princess fleet. She was (obviously) the first of the Sun-class ships and, at the time of her launching, the largest cruise ship in the world. I have been on her two sister ships, the Dawn Princess and Sea Princess and they are fine ships and we had great experiences on both.

But because she's a bit old, she does not have a Sabatini's Restaurant onboard, just a Sterling Steakhouse and that is just a cordoned off section of the Horizon Court buffet at night. (But still yummy!).

And btw, you may be happier finding a similar itinerary on Diamond Princess, she's much larger and has more amenities than Sun Princess...

Please remember the Sun Princess is the oldest ship in the Princess fleet. She was (obviously) the first of the Sun-class ships and, at the time of her launching, the largest cruise ship in the world. I have been on her two sister ships, the Dawn Princess and Sea Princess and they are fine ships and we had great experiences on both.

But because she's a bit old, she does not have a Sabatini's Restaurant onboard, just a Sterling Steakhouse and that is just a cordoned off section of the Horizon Court buffet at night. (But still yummy!).

And btw, you may be happier finding a similar itinerary on Diamond Princess, she's much larger and has more amenities than Sun Princess...

Well as long as its clean and does not feel old(like I said the Soveireign refurbished looked good and it was WAY older than the Sun :rolleyes: Plus if the food in the few options is good it should work for 14 days....well the Sun goes to Asia/South Pacific which is a very different itinerary....others ships do it but not during summer and that's the only time I can do it....

Thanks for the advice :cool:

It has been my experience with Princess's older ships that they are still kept in very clean and good condition. We were on the old Royal Princess 4 times and the old Golden just before she left the fleet. We never had any complaints with cleanliness or service. I think that is what you were wanting to know. I have been on newer ships on other lines and saw a lot more wrong with them than I have on Princess.

Have't sailed on the Sun, but I really haven't heard anything bad about her. As a previous poster stated, I would look at a cruise on the Diamond Princess. She is a beautiful ship and doesn't have the extra deck like the crown class ships.....

Bob

Archived