Disney 4 day cruise or rccl 7 day cruise?

Please help! We are trying to decide between a Disney 4 day Cruise on the Magic or a RCCL 7 day cruise on the Liberty of the Seas - they are the same price. Traveling with us will be 3 kids: 9 mos old, 8 years old, 10 years old. I want to do a Disney cruise once in my life but should I wait until the 9 mos old will be old enough so I can leave her in the Children's Program so that I can enjoy it better?

We also plan on 3-5 days at Disney World. Will we be Disney'd out?

When are you planning on going?

Disney has a nursery for the 9 month old. Liberty will be getting a nursery when it goes in for a dry dock early 2011.

I personally would go for the longer cruise. But traveling with children is always a challenge, so shorter may be better.

I like the seven day cruises better, just my opinion, I figure if I'm saving my money to go, make it a 7 day. I'd wait and go on Liberty until they had a nursery. To me 4 days isn't enough, BUT I don't have a baby either, my kids are 8, 10, 12 and 14. We all took a 7 day last Dec. and a disney world trip last summer, I waited until my baby 7 yrs. old was ALL out of strollers, could walk w/o complaining and it made a world of difference (Because disney isn't cheap) and now we have great memories, have fun with whatever you decide.

Just did a 5 day and I thought that was too short. I cant imagine doing 4 day. If you have the time I would do the 7 day and Disney too. When you think about it, it is really only 2 days on the ship. Day 1 boarding, Day 2 and 3 on the ship, Day 4 disembark. Not worth it to me.

The Disney experience just can not be beat for families. Nothing else compares. I watched as the Disney Princesses knelt down and put each little girl on their knee. The little girls were in total awe,totally different from the park experience. Eating together in themed rooms each night, karaoke with the entire family, dance floors filled with moms and sons, dads and daughters. Where else would you see this? Disney for just adults? That is another story and there are things that Disney does that drove me insane (like lining up to be announced onto the ship) but give the devil his due-I have never seen that many happy families that happy for that long!

And I forgot to mention the private island. Docking is great, no tenders and beautiful beautiful setup.2 bathrooms in each cabin. Nice!

Honestly, I think it depends on the gender of your kids. We've been on two DCL cruises, a 4 night and a 7 night.

The 4 night felt like we had just gotten on the boat when it was time to leave.

Disney has great family parties-sailaway is amazing, pirate night, etc. Lots of family activities onboard. You just can't beat it for non-stop family-oriented fun.

The atmosphere, characters and princesses were a humungous hit with my DD. My son enjoyed the ship immensely, but I think he would have been as happy on RCCL.

I'm glad we did Disney, but we are now changing to RCCL. I think it would be hard to bring an older kid 10+ on a ship like the liberty with all of its amenities, and then try to take them on the smaller magic that has fewer pools, no rock climbing wall, flowrider, H2O zone, ice skating rink. If you really want to do Disney, do it first.

Also, the cabins on DCL are much larger and set up much better for 4. They also have tubs in the bathrooms for the kids. Very useful when you have little ones that are not yet used to showers.

It's a hard decision!

Our first cruise was on Disney Magic and it was awesome...hooked me on cruising forever :)

Although I'd choose RCI over Disney due to the amount of days, they will be very different cruises. Since you are already doing Disney world for a few days prior, the RCI cruise will be a lot of fun. After this vacation, save for a few more years and do a 7 night Disney cruise, you won't regret it.

Many people who haven't been on a Disney cruise have no idea just how upscale and nice it is. I think they assume since it's Disney, it's just chock-ful of Disney characters and a theme park atmosphere. The ship, to us, has only been surpassed in elegance and beauty by QM2.

The first cruise I took my grandchildren on was Disney. They were scared of the characters (I realize we may be in the minority with this). It cost more than the others. After that I took them on a RC cruise and then a Carnival cruise. They had a better time on both and it was cheaper. I say go for the 7 day.

Please help! We are trying to decide between a Disney 4 day Cruise on the Magic or a RCCL 7 day cruise on the Liberty of the Seas - they are the same price. Traveling with us will be 3 kids: 9 mos old, 8 years old, 10 years old. I want to do a Disney cruise once in my life but should I wait until the 9 mos old will be old enough so I can leave her in the Children's Program so that I can enjoy it better?

You've got a very hard decision. You state you want to do a Disney cruise at least once. In my opinion your two older kids are already on the borderline as far as age goes where they really will enjoy the Disney experience. However, your younger one is not old enough yet! My thought would be to sail Disney since they have a nursery and if you really like it, plan on another Disney cruise when your younger one is older.

You've got a very hard decision. You state you want to do a Disney cruise at least once. In my opinion your two older kids are already on the borderline as far as age goes where they really will enjoy the Disney experience. However, your younger one is not old enough yet! My thought would be to sail Disney since they have a nursery and if you really like it, plan on another Disney cruise when your younger one is older.

I agree...we did the land/sea Disney experience with Disney first, followed by the 4 day cruise. It was so nice and relaxing after the hustle and bustle of the theme park. Yes, it will feel short to you because you won't want to get off the ship, but it will be well worth it, even with a little one who won't remember. Your other children will remember and they are the perfect age to enjoy all that Disney has to offer. The shows are broadway quality, and the dining experiences are second to none! You have lots of time to do RCI later when your others will be old enough to get the full experience from that cruise, and your little one will also enjoy it vs waiting and risking your older children then being bored on Disney.

The Disney experience just can not be beat for families. Nothing else compares. I watched as the Disney Princesses knelt down and put each little girl on their knee. The little girls were in total awe,totally different from the park experience. Eating together in themed rooms each night, karaoke with the entire family, dance floors filled with moms and sons, dads and daughters. Where else would you see this? Disney for just adults? That is another story and there are things that Disney does that drove me insane (like lining up to be announced onto the ship) but give the devil his due-I have never seen that many happy families that happy for that long!

And I forgot to mention the private island. Docking is great, no tenders and beautiful beautiful setup.2 bathrooms in each cabin. Nice!

We didn't have that happen to us on the Wonder in 2001. I have seen the videos and I'm so happy they didn't. I would have been embarrassed!

However, Disney is great. The best cruise we have been on.

Our first cruise was on Disney Magic and it was awesome...hooked me on cruising forever :)

Although I'd choose RCI over Disney due to the amount of days, they will be very different cruises. Since you are already doing Disney world for a few days prior, the RCI cruise will be a lot of fun. After this vacation, save for a few more years and do a 7 night Disney cruise, you won't regret it.

Many people who haven't been on a Disney cruise have no idea just how upscale and nice it is. I think they assume since it's Disney, it's just chock-ful of Disney characters and a theme park atmosphere. The ship, to us, has only been surpassed in elegance and beauty by QM2.

ITA. Disney has gorgeous ships. I am dying to go on their new ship, the Disney Dream! The ships are not screaming Disney and are just great. I was 12 when I went and I had the best time. I'd do the Disney cruise and then save for a few years and take your 9 month old again when they are old enough to remember. Your older kids might not appreciate it as much in a few years.

No such thing. 2 different experiences.

We did the Land/sea combo on Disney twice, and loved it. The service on Disney is like NO OTHER!

I recommend everyone try Disney once.

But, if I were pricing 4 vs 7 day for the same price, I'd probably cave and go with the 7.

If you wait to long to go on a Disney cruise your 10 year old will be to old. But then you could be like us- we did several Disney cruises when the older kids were the perfect age, and now they have outgrown Disney (15,16 ). Now my 10 year old wants to go on a Disney,(2011 Alaska), We may have to do one more trip on the Magic/wonder.

Sorry this is so looooong.....This advice is coming from a HUGE Disney fan. We have been on the Disney cruise twice and Royal Caribbean once. On our first Disney cruise our first 3 kids were small...we didn't have our youngest yet. At that point they didn't even allow characters on the ships yet. The only thing we really liked on it were the restaurants (one goes from black and white and fills in with colors gradually...is beautiful) and the shows. Overall we felt it was boring compared to our first cruise we did on our honeymoon with Celebrity. We felt the food was OK and we really didn't like the fact that since it was only 4 nights it felt like once we got used to the ship we had to get off. The only reason why we went on the second time was because it was my mother in law's dream to always go on a Disney cruise before she died (she is also a big Disney lover). She wanted to go on with my father in law, but he passed away suddenly. Since she didn't want to go on by herself she asked us if we would accompany her. We had already booked our Royal Caribbean Freedom cruise but then cancelled it so we could go on with her. We had beautiful rooms...balconies, something we never had before. Our second Disney cruise experience was not better than the first. They did add the characters which made my youngest daughter almost 6 very happy, but if I was being honest with you, she was the only one who "LOVED" the cruise. My mother in law had only been on Carnival and she told us that Carnival ships were a lot more fun. Our other children at the time were almost 13, 10 and 11-two girls and a boy. None of them thought it was that great. The older ones were not able to use the pool slide because they were too tall or old ( I forget) and there was not much else for them to do. Again, the shows were excellent and they did like some other things like the private island and karaoke but the problem was that those thinks were very much limited. You have to be a pretty dull person not to be able to enjoy a cruise...but for the price we definitely expected a lot more. We promised our kids we would take them on Royal Caribbean the following year/vacation which was the summer of 2009. We kept our promise. They LOVED it. They ALL told us it was the best vacation ever....even better than Disney. They were now almost 14,12,11, and 7. They still talk about our cruise. This year we asked them if they wanted to go on another cruise or Disney. We hadn't been to Disney in 2 years at this point. They are used to going every year. Mixed opinions arose and we decided on Disney for our youngest. We SWEATED the whole time and I mean SWEATED. After a great week in Disney...the kids were happy with their Disney vacation but they informed us that next year 2011 they want to go on the Freedom again and that they wanted to skip Disney for a "few" years. To answer your question, personally, I would choose 7 days over 4, but to be honest if you really want to go on a Disney cruise once in your life you should do it soon before your older kids get much older. With that being said I would have been fine missing the Disney cruises altogether and going on Royal Caribbean much sooner. Good luck with your decision, either way you will have a "MAGICAL" time.:)

funfamilyof6, in the future could you break your posts into more readable paragraphs? I think you had some important comments, but they get lost and it's hard for the eye to follow such a long paragraph.

Every time you change the subject try to change the paragraph. I'm certainly no English major and I'm sure I make a lot of mistakes, but this is my own little rule.

funfamilyof6, in the future could you break your posts into more readable paragraphs? I think you had some important comments, but they get lost and it's hard for the eye to follow such a long paragraph.

Every time you change the subject try to change the paragraph. I'm certainly no English major and I'm sure I make a lot of mistakes, but this is my own little rule.

I agree with this. You had good things to say but less then halfway thru your long post, I gave up reading it.

I first went to WDW at 15 and fell in love with! So, I don't think there is a too old kid.

We have done 4 Disney cruises....1st as a couple, then with our DD (now 8.) We usually do 3 or 4 days at WDW, then a 4 day cruise.(the 7 day never fit uour schedule and price made it a no-go anyway.) I gave my daughter a choice this time.....WDW, followed by 4 day DCL or 7 day RCCL (for same price.) She picked the 7 day RCCL WITHOUT hesitation.

She is not big on characters or princesses......but, is REALLY looking forward to the flowrider.

I would say do 4 days at WDW....get all the character pics done, wear yourselfs out....so when you get to the cruise, you will ALL be ready for the relaxation! After our last cruise, we vowed to NEVER do a 3 or 4 day cruise again....just NOT long enough to really appreciate it.

If DCL prices ever come down from the stratosphere again, we will definitely hope on board again. There is something magical about sailing with the mouse...but, WDW has that magic too (just a little harder to find sometimes.)

I like to factor in all costs so you might consider things like: do you like soda on a cruise? We don't HAVE to have soda but we enjoy it and want to have what we enjoy on a cruise so we buy soda cards. I factor that into the difference. Also, DCL allowed me to bring on a six pack, couple of bottles of wine and a small bottle of rum in carryons along with bottled water. If any of that stuff you will want, price out RCCL charges for it since you can't bring that on RCCL.

My kids are getting older and we are looking forward to trying RCCL larger ships but I don't think the kids are too old for DCL at age 8-10 but might be at 12-14 so it's a good time to do DCL. And the guests will deal with the 9 month old with less rolling eyes than RCCL. Many praise RCCL value over DCL but will also give DCL credit for having better service and kids programs. You might relax more with a higher level of service and kids taken care of. DCL will give you a pager so your 8-10 year old can beep you whenever they want to leave the club and join you. You have to rent a phone if available (and I'm not sure it still is) if you'd like one for that age group on Liberty. Good luck.

Archived