Zipline 'observer' in Labadee?

peisahm

Hi all,

We are cruising to Labadee in October and one daughter REALLY wants to do the zipline. She wants me and my husband to do it with her. Our other daughter wants nothing to do with it.

Would it be safe to leave her on the beach at the base of the zipline to wait for us or could she come up with us then ride down with the guide? She will be almost 15.

:confused:

If she feels more comfortable, she can come with you to check in and wait until you head to the practice zip. There is a great viewing area there. She could get great photos of you as you come down the practice run. She can then wait with you until they load the Land Rovers. Then all she had to do is walk the short distance to the water. If you are one of the first groups down, she would only be alone for about a half hour. There are plenty of other people on the beach watching as well.

She could stand at the reception area where the zipliners actually land. I don't mean right on the landing. That would be dangerous and it is very busy. But she can wait right beside there. I don't think anything could happen to her there because there are so many people around and she would be facing you all as you arrive after your "zip."

However, I don't know how shy your daughter is. She might be uncomfortable being alone in a place she has never been before, especially a foreign country.

Another solution I might suggest is to allow her to stay on board your ship. After you folks do your zipline activity, go back to the ship and get her.

So you can leave your children on ship when you go on shore? Are they allowed to leave the ship without you?

She wants to just 'hang' on the beach while we do the zipline, so it's not her that's uncomfortable it's us.

Planning excursions is tough when you have 4 people who don't all want to do the same thing :confused:

So you can leave your children on ship when you go on shore? Are they allowed to leave the ship without you?

She wants to just 'hang' on the beach while we do the zipline, so it's not her that's uncomfortable it's us.

Planning excursions is tough when you have 4 people who don't all want to do the same thing :confused:

I am the mother of a 14 (almost 15 yo). We were on Labadee about 1 month ago. We had cruised many time before, my DD is out going, and this was our 4th time to Labadee. This trip, my DD spent time on the beach with some new friends she met on the ship - that had arranged a meeting place and time. She walked to the point herself and met me for lunch and in the late afternoon. I also let her go back to the ship 20 minutes or so ahead of me so she could shower and make a teen activity before dinner. I warned her that they may not let her board but they did.

The visit before (when she was almost 14) she did the aqua park with the teens/tweens of a family we met on the ship (I has cruise critic'ed with the mom for several months). I was comfortable with all of these situations - you may not be - you know you daughter the best.

I also understand that not everyone wants to do the same thing. My daughter is more adventeorus and athletic than I am. She is also a much better swimmer. I was happy to relax with a float all day - that does not equal fun for her.

Having seen the zip a Labadee - only people who paid ride up in the rovers.

I think you have several options - You could leave your teen on the ship while the rest of you zipline. Since she is under 18 she will need to be with an adult to debark the ship. My daughter would not have been happy not being on the beach.

SNS101098 had a good plan if she wants to watch. She could also take your picture coming down the big zip. I think she is safe waiting on the beach - set-up a chair for her before you meet the excursion so she has a "home base" and you know where to meet up. If she wants to chill on the beach and not watch your practice - I would say find a spot ahead of time and set boundaries (I am assuming she can be trusted to follow your rules).

I am the mother of a 14 (almost 15 yo). We were on Labadee about 1 month ago. We had cruised many time before, my DD is out going, and this was our 4th time to Labadee. This trip, my DD spent time on the beach with some new friends she met on the ship - that had arranged a meeting place and time. She walked to the point herself and met me for lunch and in the late afternoon. I also let her go back to the ship 20 minutes or so ahead of me so she could shower and make a teen activity before dinner. I warned her that they may not let her board but they did.

The visit before (when she was almost 14) she did the aqua park with the teens/tweens of a family we met on the ship (I has cruise critic'ed with the mom for several months). I was comfortable with all of these situations - you may not be - you know you daughter the best.

I also understand that not everyone wants to do the same thing. My daughter is more adventeorus and athletic than I am. She is also a much better swimmer. I was happy to relax with a float all day - that does not equal fun for her.

Having seen the zip a Labadee - only people who paid ride up in the rovers.

I think you have several options - You could leave your teen on the ship while the rest of you zipline. Since she is under 18 she will need to be with an adult to debark the ship. My daughter would not have been happy not being on the beach.

SNS101098 had a good plan if she wants to watch. She could also take your picture coming down the big zip. I think she is safe waiting on the beach - set-up a chair for her before you meet the excursion so she has a "home base" and you know where to meet up. If she wants to chill on the beach and not watch your practice - I would say find a spot ahead of time and set boundaries (I am assuming she can be trusted to follow your rules).

Thank you!

Another suggestion...your husband could zipline first take a lay of the land in the first group and you and other child could go in the 3rd group. I say 3rd group because I don't know the timing between each group. That way a parent would always be with the teen who doesn't care to zipline.

Hi all,

We are cruising to Labadee in October and one daughter REALLY wants to do the zipline. She wants me and my husband to do it with her. Our other daughter wants nothing to do with it. Would it be safe to leave her on the beach at the base of the zipline to wait for us or could she come up with us then ride down with the guide? She will be almost 15. :confused:

IMHO, the private beach at Labadee is not that big. She is old enough that you don't have to worry about her wandering away and getting lost. The beach is fairly compact. Chances are, by the time you get to Labadee she will have made some friends and will be very comfortable on the beach with her new found friends. If she hasn't made friends, she can watch all of you. As suggested above, you can designate her to be the official photographer so your zipline event can be recorded for posterity.

Archived