cruisers w/out children

tiff123

I think the kids that are rude and disrespectful, running up and down halls and stairs, cutting in line, using foul language are like that in their everyday life and were brough up by parents that are the same.

I don't think they get on a ship and everything they have learned about manners go's out the window along with their parents sense of responsibility. They are like that when they board.

My DD 10yo loves to cruise and she knows that when she is older and is able to come and go more independantly, if she pulls any of that, it will be the last time she goes. No more cruising for her until she is old enough to go on her own.

If they are brought up right they will stick with what they have learned.

Toni

I think the kids that are rude and disrespectful, running up and down halls and stairs, cutting in line, using foul language are like that in their everyday life and were brough up by parents that are the same.

I don't think they get on a ship and everything they have learned about manners go's out the window along with their parents sense of responsibility. They are like that when they board.

My DD 10yo loves to cruise and she knows that when she is older and is able to come and go more independantly, if she pulls any of that, it will be the last time she goes. No more cruising for her until she is old enough to go on her own.

If they are brought up right they will stick with what they have learned.

Toni

We'd be happy to cruise with you and your obviously lovely DD. I'll bet you and she get many compliments and I'll bet she is glad you've taught her when it's okay to "be a kid" (if you will--and of course, that goes for kids of all ages) and when it's not appropriate to run and play and be rowdy. That makes all the difference: Knowing what's appropriate and behaving accordingly.

Happy cruising!:)

beachchick

We'd be happy to cruise with you and your obviously lovely DD. I'll bet you and she get many compliments and I'll bet she is glad you've taught her when it's okay to "be a kid" (if you will--and of course, that goes for kids of all ages) and when it's not appropriate to run and play and be rowdy. That makes all the difference: Knowing what's appropriate and behaving accordingly.

Happy cruising!:)

beachchick

I love your posts beachchick, and we'd love to cruise with you too. :) She is very well behaved but is still a kid as you said. One thing we have to work on every time we cruise is when we first get in the cabin she is so excited it's like her dad and I all of a sudden became deaf because she gets so loud. I explain that our neighbors may be trying to rest or they have small children napping. It takes her while to calm down.

Toni

Check out this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1275858

I think it is great. I would love for all the "kid haters" to have their own cruise - get 'em all off of the ships where the families are!

The funny thing is, a couple of days ago there was a thread where they were all bashing children and parents and I had to say something about it and they flamed me inside out! And because I had the guts to step up and say something definitely meant that my kids were one of the little monsters they were talking about...lol.

Its the same old story. All children are misbehaved and all parents let their children run wild....:rolleyes: What has the world come to? Its amazing there isn't total anarchy in the streets with parents and their children these days! :rolleyes:

Remember to pack your ratty bathrobe, facial mudpack and pink curlers for your hair. I've always told my son that if he embarasses me I won't get mad, I won't get even, I WILL GET AHEAD. Imagine having your mother all done up in the robe and mudpack hunting you down while you're with your newfound friends. Don't forget the bunny slippers, they really complete any outfit.

Being serious now, it's great there are parents that are willing to set the rules and then enforce them. We've been blessed on each of our cruises, with the kids on board being great! I love seeing the cruise through their eyes, where everything is so new and the world is fantastic.

My DS is 29, so I'm beyond the teenage years, but not so far beyond that I've forgotten. And yes, my son STILL believes I'd show up in 'the outfit' if he got out of line. He's planning to use the same tactic with his daughter, not that he'll need it as my granddaughter is perfect ;)

Bonnie

Have a similar threat with our son, if he misbehaves at school he has been threatened that we would go to school with him and sit next to him through all his lessons. He laughs the threats off, thinking we are joking, but has never been in any trouble;)

There are plenty of adults only ships so I really don't understand the complaints

Check out this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1275858

I think it is great. I would love for all the "kid haters" to have their own cruise - get 'em all off of the ships where the families are!

The funny thing is, a couple of days ago there was a thread where they were all bashing children and parents and I had to say something about it and they flamed me inside out! And because I had the guts to step up and say something definitely meant that my kids were one of the little monsters they were talking about...lol.

Its the same old story. All children are misbehaved and all parents let their children run wild....:rolleyes: What has the world come to? Its amazing there isn't total anarchy in the streets with parents and their children these days! :rolleyes:

Don't forget that our kids can't be A-students or have manners taught to them at a young age either. Nobody believes you because apparently there are too many of us on cruise critic that claim to have them:rolleyes:.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome thread!

In the cruises past, whenever we've encountered unruly kids we tend to just brush it off.

HOWEVER - the post about the food fight, I would have lost it on that father. Either he gets the kids to cut it out immediately and apologize, or I'd be calling security tout de suite. Regardless if you're on a vacation or not, that's no excuse for a food fight. Do you encourage it in your own home? No? In a restaurant? No? Then why on a vacation? That just disgusted me. I can put up with the elevator games, running around, heelies (which struck me as the most unsafe things ever), but food fights? Forget it.

I posted earlier about the Grandson who started cruising at 4 yrs old. This summer he is taking a friend. They will be 17, in a cabin across the hall from us. His friend has never been on a cruise. I have no idea how the conversation started, but I heard my Grandson telling him they can't break any of the cruise ship rules or his parent's rules. We are very excited about seeing a cruise again through the eyes of someone who has never experienced it. They are good kids so I don't think you will notice them on the cruise. That's the shame of it...the good kids don't get noticed. The ones everyone remembers are the ones causing the problems.

I cruised last November with my 2 boys (almost 12 and 7) and my mom on Sensation. It was a short cruise, we had a few days off for Teachers' Convention and wanted to get away.

We were at the pool and hot tub (which if you've been on this ship you know are small) and there were a few families obviously travelling together. They were set up towards the end of the pool near the hot tub, and they had their buckets of beer. Most of the moms were sunbathing, and most had their backs to the pool/hot tub where their kids were spending their time. And there were a few little ones, closer to 4-5 yo, who were not being watched.

At one point, my boys were in the hot tub. Not doing anything other than sitting in it. When one of these little kids starts splashing my older son in the face with water, then takes a cup and starts filling it and throwing water at him. I could tell he was getting upset, but he's always been one to whom little kids gravitate, so he didn't know what to do. Parents are either not there or totally ignoring it since, obviously, they are ON VACATION!

I walked up, looked her straight in the eye and told her to cut it out, that he didn't like it and to stop now. Kid stared at me and stopped. Not a single parent even noticed.

Now, my kids are good kids, travel often, go out to eat all the time. There are moments when I have to tell them to back it down, or lower their voices, or something of that nature, but overall, they know how to behave in public. But frankly, even I don't like cruising (or vacationing) when there are kids who are so obviously unsupervised by their parents. I don't know when people starting getting the idea that if they are on vacation WITH THEIR KIDS, they are actually ON VACATION and they don't have to watch THEIR KIDS. It's selfish and rude, but then again, when I see how the kids behave, I'm not surprised.

We've only had a few incidents like this over the years, but they are the ones that stand out. I work full time and have a p/t second job and I don't get to spend all that much time with my kids. When I vacation, I want them with me. So they are required to act appropriately, and not like animals just let out of a cage.

I posted earlier about the Grandson who started cruising at 4 yrs old. This summer he is taking a friend. They will be 17, in a cabin across the hall from us. His friend has never been on a cruise. I have no idea how the conversation started, but I heard my Grandson telling him they can't break any of the cruise ship rules or his parent's rules. We are very excited about seeing a cruise again through the eyes of someone who has never experienced it. They are good kids so I don't think you will notice them on the cruise. That's the shame of it...the good kids don't get noticed. The ones everyone remembers are the ones causing the problems.

Not only do the good kids not get noticed, but they are apparently a myth according to some people on these boards.:rolleyes:

Not only do the good kids not get noticed, but they are apparently a myth according to some people on these boards.:rolleyes:

You're exactly right. If you take everyone's experiences that I've read about on this board (save for one or two people) the world is doomed because there are hellions on the loose everywhere!!! Truth is they are most likely isolated incidences (yes we all experience them occasionally) and no one notices the well-behaved kids so they obviously don't exist and neither do their well-meaning parents! In reality if you stack up the bad behavior of some children against the bad behavior of some adults I think you'll find children are better behaved....

I think there should be a survey taken of the most obnoxious, rude behavior you have experienced on a cruise, hands down it would be an adult. The one or 2 obnoxious kids would be completely at the end of the line behind the obnoxious drunks, the chair hogs, the seat savers in the theaters, etc. I've been on a cruise that was mostly filled with elderly passengers of which I guess I quality at 59, and I've been on cruises with tons of kids. I'll take the cruise with the kids ANY day.

OK, this thread is tempting me to share a very recent experience. I was involved, very briefly, in a discussion in a roll call for an up-coming cruise that has me leary of my fellow travelers. I mentioned this in another thread in the Family Cruises forum right after it happened, so my apologies for re-telling the same tale.

The roll call for my cruise turned VERY ugly when some fellow passengers found out there will be approximately 250 kids on our sailing. I had already posted my "hello" saying I'd be with my 6-year-old. So, I posted something about being disappointed with the tone of the comments. I don't feel like I was rude and I chose my words carefully. The conversation became slanderous very quickly, so I have not returned to the thread. I suspect my name is being dragged through the mud. As a matter of fact, I visited a thread on the Carnival forum (not cruise critic) today only to find fellow passengers complaining about me there!

I've cruised a number of times before my son joined our family and barely noticed kids on the ships. I respect that people are angered by naughty kids and disrespectful parents, but to conclude that all kids are troublesome is quite a leap in logic.

My husband tells me this thread is still HOT over the kid issue and that disturbs me a bit. And, the fact that it has carried over to ANOTHER forum is purely insane. Cruisers were sharing their cabin numbers in the roll call and although I never considered it, I'm glad I never mentioned ours. Honestly, I wouldn't feel comfortable cruising with some of the people posting were they to know my cabin number! No, they won't waste their time coming to find me, however, a few of the people sound a bit unstable and I'd prefer to keep my son from them!

I have noticed that there are some "haters" on this board too. Honestly, I just skip through those post and hope everyone else does. I have a few favorite forums I go to. This one is the worst when it comes to key issues like kids, smoke, etc. I also think some people are very direct in their presentation and seem rude possibly with the intent of not being so.

I also agree that not all parents are alike while on a cruise. I see the same pool behavior at my neighborhood pool. :)

OK, this thread is tempting me to share a very recent experience. I was involved, very briefly, in a discussion in a roll call for an up-coming cruise that has me leary of my fellow travelers. I mentioned this in another thread in the Family Cruises forum right after it happened, so my apologies for re-telling the same tale.

The roll call for my cruise turned VERY ugly when some fellow passengers found out there will be approximately 250 kids on our sailing. I had already posted my "hello" saying I'd be with my 6-year-old. So, I posted something about being disappointed with the tone of the comments. I don't feel like I was rude and I chose my words carefully. The conversation became slanderous very quickly, so I have not returned to the thread. I suspect my name is being dragged through the mud. As a matter of fact, I visited a thread on the Carnival forum (not cruise critic) today only to find fellow passengers complaining about me there!

I've cruised a number of times before my son joined our family and barely noticed kids on the ships. I respect that people are angered by naughty kids and disrespectful parents, but to conclude that all kids are troublesome is quite a leap in logic.

My husband tells me this thread is still HOT over the kid issue and that disturbs me a bit. And, the fact that it has carried over to ANOTHER forum is purely insane. Cruisers were sharing their cabin numbers in the roll call and although I never considered it, I'm glad I never mentioned ours. Honestly, I wouldn't feel comfortable cruising with some of the people posting were they to know my cabin number! No, they won't waste their time coming to find me, however, a few of the people sound a bit unstable and I'd prefer to keep my son from them!

Wow, that was some read, really does seem like you've found a few very nasty people

All of my previous cruises were taken without children. I have no issue with children. I take issue with parents who do not step up and supervise their children. This is not limited to cruises, nor is bad behavior.

That being said, it is a small fraction of people, period, on a cruise that are misbehaving. The majority of children we encountered went unnoticed because they did have manners. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well some of the kids were acting with parents nowhere nearby (these weren't super young kids).

It's natural to get paranoid and defensive when people post these threads. If you are one of the majority of parents out there, you are doing your job and you have raised your child to be respectful and to act appropriately in public so you don't need to worry about it. I don't think the mean comments are directed at you, and if they are, ignore 'em. :)

You will find that the nasty comments and "kid haters" are the minority on cruises. We have sailed multiple multiple times with our kids (see my signature) and we are respectful of others. I have NEVER and I mean NEVER encountered one nasty person or comment in regards to my children onboard. Im sure there are people that would love to sail without children onboard but the reality is, its not going to happen at least on Carnival. Dont worry about it, cut your losses and enjoy your cruise with your family. Hopefully, you will have a better roll call next time.

You're exactly right. If you take everyone's experiences that I've read about on this board (save for one or two people) the world is doomed because there are hellions on the loose everywhere!!! Truth is they are most likely isolated incidences (yes we all experience them occasionally) and no one notices the well-behaved kids so they obviously don't exist and neither do their well-meaning parents! In reality if you stack up the bad behavior of some children against the bad behavior of some adults I think you'll find children are better behaved....

I don't know that anyone really seems to notice good behavior by anyone at any age. For example you don't see "we were on a cruise last week and there were some middle-aged people sitting around the pool and they were just SO WELL BEHAVED! None of them had over-imbibed, none were wearing speedos, and there was NO chair hogging!"

Wow.... what is WRONG with people??? This is the kind of crap I am talking about. Its one thing to debate over kids belonging on a cruise (bad enough as it is) but to complain about it in a roll call forum is a bunch of BS!!! Are they such miserable people that they have to try and make others miserable too? :rolleyes: I'm sorry you've had this experience! Come join our cruise! Everyone has been really nice! :cool:

I don't know that anyone really seems to notice good behavior by anyone at any age. For example you don't see "we were on a cruise last week and there were some middle-aged people sitting around the pool and they were just SO WELL BEHAVED! None of them had over-imbibed, none were wearing speedos, and there was NO chair hogging!"

Too true.

When I'm out in public and I see particularly well-behaved kids, I usually tell the parents so. They probably think I'm creepy. :D

No - you're not. I get compliments on my kids behavior when they are behaving nicely! Probably because it is a natural tendency for children to want to be active, run around and be loud. That is fairly normal for them and parents have to provide them avenues to allow them that freedom and also teach them how to behave within normal society as well! That is why when people see children behaving quietly and calmly we get compliments!

I just think there are people that become so disgusted by children for no reason whatsoever or have extremely low tolerance and that is THEIR problem - not the parent's or the child's. I know some of these people.... kids don't even have to be doing anything wrong to get them to be rude and mean.

Of course that doesn't mean there aren't ANY neglectful parents or misbehaving children. But if you listen to some of these threads on these boards, it seems as if these cruises are overrun with the worst of the worst. Now I've only been on two cruises but the only bad behavior I've seen was from adults. All the parenting I've witnessed was acceptable!

Maybe I'm just sensitive to this because I love children and it really irks me that they can call children names like "disease-incubators" "hellions" "monsters" etc. Especially since we were ALL children at one point in time!!! How does one even make sense out of that? This IS cultural intolerance... Fortunately I haven't encounted any of those on a cruise ship - at least I think not... We have been paired with people at tables twice on a cruise and they didn't speak to us much throughout the meal. I wonder if it was because we had the kids. They were perfectly behaved... (we had others at neighboring tables compliment us on their behavior) Our tablemates could have just not been social.... but who knows? Maybe they were kid-haters???

Good behavior is noticed more than acknowledged but it's always so nice to have someone comment on my Grandson's behavior. We make a point to compliment the children we've met, as well as their parents. I think the compliments he got have reinforced his good manners as he grew up. I hope more people will notice the good and make a point to let the children and their parents know they noticed.

It seems crazy that someone who dislikes children onboard would choose to sail on Carnival. You are signing on to a family oriented line! If you want to avoid kids, you will find fewer on HAL or move to the more expensive ships. Kinda like going to Disney World and complaining about the kids.

Archived