Only Cash

Travrock1

I am only 17 so i cant have a credit card or debit card or anything like that but i have a job and plan on bringing cash. going on RCI can i use like $300 for thier cashless system how much should i bring for a 5day/4night cruise or 4/5 forget how it works is like $600-$700 ok? too much? too little? I will be there with somone else who will pay alot of my expenses so I am not too worried

It depends on what you plan to do onboard. Since you are underage you won't be spending money on gambling or alcohol. But, you might like to buy non-alcoholic beverages, soda, specialty coffees etc. You might want money for the arcade or gift shop. I can't think of any others. Of course you will want some cash for excusions and shore activities. If you tell us what you plan to do we could estimate how much you might need more closely.

Not sure what everyone else thinks but my mom & i usually budget $100/day in cash.. We use CC for most things when we travel but generally we plan on $100 for meals/tours/stuff. THAT SAID, you already paid for your meals. Depending on what you want to do in port I would think $500 for a 4-5 day cruise is ok.

First, is someone covering the tips for you? If so, them thats about $100 (depending on length of cruise and whether or not you are inclined to give a little extra above the suggested amount....like for room service or to the wait staff in the buffet.)

Second, do you think you will want to buy some photos or souveniers on board. Ships photos are about $10 each depending on the size. (some more, some less).

Soda/fancy coffees/foo-foo non alcoholic beverages also run up the tab. And, spa services if you are into this stuff.

Ship excursions can be a little expensive...snorkling and the like. Tours of the ports are usually cheaper and you can often find a tour operator on the pier. We did a couple of these and although they may not have been as thorough as tours through the ship, they did save us money.

Taxis can also be expensive. But again, if an adult is going who will cover many of the expenses, then you should be ok with $500-600 total. Again, you will get a check for any amount not spent on your seapass card and I think it is always better to come home with some extra money...that way you have a head start on your next vacation.

Hope that helps. My mom and I spent only $300-350 on our seapass and half of that was tips on a 7 day cruise. We had some drinks, bought some ice cream, johnny rockets, some pictures and 1 round of bingo each. So if you backl out about 150 for tips we did pretty well!!

Travrock1, I don't want to sound weird, but are you going with an adult who's over age 25? If you aren't, you won't be allowed to board the ship. If you aren't cruising with your parents, you will need a notorized letter from both your parents giving you permission to cruise without them, plus permission for the adult who's with you to make medical judgements for you. If you don't have that letter, they won't allow you to board the ship.

As for your question, if you have your own sign and sail account, they will require you to deposit at least $250 into an account when you check in at the dock. Once that money runs low, you will be called to put more money into the account.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have excursions planned? If not, you may not need that much money. I know you are going with your mom, so perhaps you are treating her to some goodies?

Just remember, there are not safes in the cabin on this ship, be careful with the cash you take. You can probably leave it in the safe at the pursers desk.

Have a fun cruise with your mom, you sound like a very nice young man.

Archived