Westbound TA questions by a newbie!

mgg42

Hi all. Getting ready for my first TA, and my first Cunard cruise! I'm doing the westbound TA on October 1st (Queens Grill!) So excited. I keep coming up with random questions, so I thought I would throw them on here.

First questions have to do with embarkation and departure.

What time can I expect to be able to get on board?

What time do they usually actually depart Southampton?

Having never been to Southampton, I'm curious about sailaway. Is there a lot to see? Of course I want to enjoy the actual departure. But is this like some ports, where you're going to have an hour or more of interesting scenery? Or is it like other ports where after about ten minutes, there's not much to see?

So many other questions, of course I can't think of them right now!

You can embark any time after midday. You will not have to wait.

Can't tell you much about Soton I'm afraid.

The ship will probably leave at 5.30 pm.

The QG is open for lunch, so find your room, get your fridge organised, then get along to the dining room.

Boat drill will be at 4 pm, then, weather permitting, there should be a sailaway party.

Although I've sailed with Cunard on quite a few occasions, 3 weeks ago was my first TA crossing.

You will thoroughly enjoy it!

Stewart

See red below. Just going by my own experience.

Hi all. Getting ready for my first TA, and my first Cunard cruise! I'm doing the westbound TA on October 1st (Queens Grill!) So excited. I keep coming up with random questions, so I thought I would throw them on here.

12 noon. The Grills should be open for lunch at around 1 PM.

5 PM

Having never been to Southampton, I'm curious about sailaway. Is there a lot to see? Of course I want to enjoy the actual departure. But is this like some ports, where you're going to have an hour or more of interesting scenery? Or is it like other ports where after about ten minutes, there's not much to see?

I don't think there's a whole lot to see. You will pass the Isle of Wight on the starboard side some distance out (I'm not sure how long). It may be fairly dark by that time.

Have a fantastic time. I think you will really like the Queens Grill.

Isle of Wight on the Starboard side?

Surely QM2 would travel to the west of the Isle of Wight and so it would be on the Port side.

Peter

My memory of entering and exiting Southampton is that we were always to the east of the Isle of Wight, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the info. Here's another one. I figured a nice way to start to unwind (have a very hectic schedule leading up to the trip) would be a massage. I contacted Canyon Ranch, and they took the request. But the time was 3pm. I'm starting to think that might be a mistake with a 4pm muster drill. I'd like to relax after the massage. Not scramble to get dressed and stand outside in a crowd.

Anyone else surprised they would even offer a 3pm massage?

Thanks for the info. Here's another one. I figured a nice way to start to unwind (have a very hectic schedule leading up to the trip) would be a massage. I contacted Canyon Ranch, and they took the request. But the time was 3pm. I'm starting to think that might be a mistake with a 4pm muster drill. I'd like to relax after the massage. Not scramble to get dressed and stand outside in a crowd.

Anyone else surprised they would even offer a 3pm massage?

Canyon Ranch is a separate organisation from Cunard and just want your money, Your massage will be on Deck 7 and that is the location of your Boat Drill location so you will be quite close but there will not be much relaxation time so you may want to rethink.

Hi, we were in princess grill in May and went on the grills deck for sailaway. I think it is deck 10, aft. You get a very good view from there.

The band usually plays on deck 8 if the weather is good. Sailaway usually starts about 4.30 ish.

It really is a fabulous experience, we loved our first sailaway to New York last September.

Catherine

Southampton

If you are interested in nautical nostalgia there is a fantastic museum near to the docks. It has a massive model of the original QM and is truly a work of art. If you have a spare hour or so then pop-in and have a look.

Enjoy your voyage.

Archived