How strenuous is River Tubing??

Murphey

We used to be quite adventurous and did quite a bit of white water rafting when we were younger. However, we are getting a bit "long in the tooth" and wonder if it is an appropiate excursion for us. We are comfortable in the water and wouldn't mind a few class II rapids, but that is about it for us. We would really enjoy a nice "float" down the river though. Thanks for your input.

We did this in June. You will have no problems whatsoever. I wouldn't put this in the "rapids" category. A few people in our group got flipped while on the tubes, but I do not think they had a full concept of the theory of gravity:D

Go and have fun. We enjoyed Dominica more than we expected.

Kenny

Did it several yrs. ago. What a blast. Wish I could rember co. name. Booked directly. Custom tubes with bottoms. Not like Western tubing, its very gentle. I would be more worried about water level; drought there recently.People were complaining.

We booked with Antours for our February 2011 tubing excursion and we're hoping it's not too rough because like the OP, we're starting to get a bit long in the tooth. Apparently the biggest hazard is from getting "tube burn" from having your arms rub against the tube while paddling.

Check out my picture - that's me tubing with Antours. I was a little apprehensive, but I was fine. It really wasn't strenuous - I spent most of my energy concentrating on keeping my balance. I do advise water shoes or sandals of some sort - you may end up using your feet to push off rocks.

We went with AnTours in the first week of June. It is a blast! However, do not wear jewlry. I lost a gold ring in the water when I flipped. I am a confident swimmer and did not want to wear a vest or helmet. I am sure glad that they require us to do this. I will definately do this tour again when we are in Dominica next time.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Questions... we have two in our group who might not fall in the 250 pound weight max for these tours... what would be the problems here? I am assuming they will not go over the shallow spots very well... anything else?

Also, we have two with replaced knees... any issues to be aware of? One is not a great swimmer.

We are trying to decide if this is a good tour for our group.

We booked our river tubing last year through the cruise line and it was totaly wonderful:D It is very safe and the company had very proffecional and attentive guides. We chose the one that combines the river tubing with a visit to the Jaco falls which made it into an island tour. I would probably not book this tour indipendently since I trust the cruise lines judgment with choosing a compitent oparator interms of safety and quality of equipments.

We are doing this in September with my 72 year old father. How fast is the river? Do we have to paddle at all?

Thank you for your replies

We did it in september and they said that this was rainy season. But the river was great when we did it. We did not have to paddle alot since we had very good guides that helped us along.

We used to be quite adventurous and did quite a bit of white water rafting when we were younger. However, we are getting a bit "long in the tooth" and wonder if it is an appropiate excursion for us. We are comfortable in the water and wouldn't mind a few class II rapids, but that is about it for us. We would really enjoy a nice "float" down the river though. .

I wanted to know this to, since I had my hip replaced last year and my husband has a bad back.

So I wrote them a letter and they quickly replied -

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your request.

Based on the conditions which you describe I do not recommend the River Tubing at all. Our rivers are very rocky and the ride can be bumpy for the majority of the course. It will be best to stay away from this activity as it will be strenuous for your hip and back.

Best regards,

Anison

Extremely nice that they were complete honest.

Not saying...sure sure easy street. Just to get my money.

Archived