Dawn vs. Gem for first timers

glm7777

Hi all.

We are planning a cruise to Bermuda in June 2011. I'm about an hour away from Boston and about 3 1/2 hours from New York. Although Boston is much closer, we would be very willing to travel to NY if the Gem is the better ship. We've never been on a cruise before and are all adults and young adults 21+.

Since we've never cruised before I I'm a little concerned about getting seasick. I've heard that the water is rougher out of Boston but then again we are at sea an extra day if we leave from NY. I'm finding this entire process very confusing!!

I'd love to hear what you all think!

Thanks a bunch!

Based on the ship itself, I would choose the Gem:

Gem has and Dawn does not:

Bliss Ultra Lounge

The Great Outdoors

a nicer Blue Lagoon

Dawn has and Gem does not

multi story atrium

separate small bars (Gem has the "bar central" concept with several small bars right next to each other, all sharing a common entertainment venue.

A larger "store" for clothing, etc.

I've been on Dawn twice and she really is a lovely ship. Only ship I've been on twice and had a good time both times. I'm going on Gem for the first time in December, now that they moved Dawn out of NYC and gave us Gem. Yes, there are differences and improvements to Gem, especially of interest to young people such as the aforementioned bowling alley. However, having never been on a cruise before, I daresay you would be thrilled and find plenty to do on Dawn. Planned activities would basically be the same, and any shows would be new to you since you never sailed. Others may say different since they have been on Gem and I have not, but if travel to Boston would be easier for you....not so much so before the cruise but when it's over, if you're tired, it might be nice to only have an hour ride home. Have fun whatever you do!

@gim7777

We have cruised on both ships, and we do prefer the Gem.

As mentioned before, where the Gem has The Great Outdoors the Dawn has a Kiddy pool. It may be a deck lower, that is inconsequential. The Great Outdoors is on the Pool Deck aft of the Garden Buffet at the Stern (the very end of the ship) aka Fantail. It's a lovely spot to sit at the end of the day after some sightseeing and just deflate. Not having it is a deal breaker for us.

1854460887_GrtOutdoors-s.jpg.c1e4cc7e038a18d95cdd4c07a9d8a79e.jpg

I was on the New Year's Eve Cruise on the Gem this year and I just got off the Dawn this week. Both ships are beautiful ships. They are also similar in nature. Of course, the Gem is newer and has some options such as the bowling alley and rock climbing wall. However, I loved the crew on the Dawn as they were much friendlier then the Gem crew. The buffet on the Dawn was set-up more user friendly then the Gem buffet. The Dawn also seemed to have a little more deck space. Both ships are the same size, however, the Dawn has about 100 staterooms less than the Gem. Our balcony room and balcony were bigger on the Dawn then on the Gem. The Manhattan Cruise Terminal really has their act together so getting on and off the ship is stress free both cruises. The water was a little rough leaving New York in December, however, was smooth sailing this time around. All-in-all it depends what is important to you, a fancier ship, or a friendlier ship. I personally would go for the friendlier ship! However, whatever you choose, you will no doubt have a great time! :cool:

I was on the New Year's Eve Cruise on the Gem this year and I just got off the Dawn this week. Both ships are beautiful ships. I Agree They are also similar in nature. Of course, the Gem is newer and has some options such as the bowling alley and rock climbing wall. However, I loved the crew on the Dawn as they were much friendlier then the Gem crew. I Agree The buffet on the Dawn was set-up more user friendly then the Gem buffet. We liked the Gem's better. The Dawn also seemed to have a little more deck space. I Agree Both ships are the same size, however, the Dawn has about 100 staterooms less than the Gem. Our balcony room and balcony were bigger on the Dawn then on the Gem. The Manhattan Cruise Terminal really has their act together so getting on and off the ship is stress free both cruises. The water was a little rough leaving New York in December, however, was smooth sailing this time around. All-in-all it depends what is important to you, a fancier ship, or a friendlier ship. I personally would go for the friendlier ship! However, whatever you choose, you will no doubt have a great time! :cool:

See comparison in green above. We also enjoyed the entertainment (especially Jose and Patti) better on the Dawn. (The Gem's entertainment is also good and Quest was a blast) If the Dawn and the Gem were both in NYC next year, I would pick the Dawn over the Gem. BUT since they are not, I like the days the Gem will spend in Bermuda better than the days the Dawn will be there. I would also prefer to leave on the weekend instead of a day I need to take off work. So although I like the Dawn even better than the Gem, I would cruise out of NYC on the Gem if I were you.

We have been on both the Dawn and the Gem and I would chose the Dawn. The seperate area with a pool for the kids is great for them and also relieves alot of congestion on the main pool deck.

I also prefer the layout of the buffet on the Dawn and it also has a movie theatre.

Since you are only an hour from the Dawn, I would choose it hands down and the only thing I would miss is the Great Outdoors, the open area on the back of the ship where there is a bar and tables for some quiet time.

We are considering Bermuda for next spring also and living in Pennsylvania we will more than like choose the Gem out of NYC but again, would choose the Dawn in a heart beat but traveling to Boston is not a great option for us.

Have a wonderful time and the Dawn and Bermuda is a great combination.

Both are lovely ships, it's true you really can't go wrong with this decision. The Gem is a newer ship, seems to have a livelier vibe to it (but that may be subjective!.) However, if you have never sailed out of NYC, the sailaway is just breathtaking, as you sail down the Hudson, past the Statue of Liberty and then under the Verrazano Bridge. To me, that is worth the longer trip to NY.

We are also debating the same questions as the OP for ourselves.

For those of you who get a spa pass, which has a better unisex thermal suite area? My husband and I loved the spa area on the Dawn. Is the Gem's just as nice, with the jacuzzi, hot tub and lap pool?

I think that the Gem and Dawn are more similar than not. They both have things I like/dislike. Love the Great Outdoors on the Gem, but much prefer the bar set up on the Dawn (love the sports bar!).

If I were making the choice I would book the Dawn in a heartbeat and save myself driving to/from NYC! (Not to mention parking in Boston is half the price of parking in NYC...more $$ to spend on vacation!)

We have been on the Dawn twice. We also live less than 30 minutes to the Port of Boston and have been on the Majesty, Dream, and Spirit out of Boston.

We are cruising to Bermuda again next year and chose the Gem over the Dawn. We just got off the Pearl which is a sister ship to the Gem. On the Pearl we liked the Great outdoors, Garden Cafe set up. pool deck, and flow of the centrum better than on the Dawn. I thought that Dazzles was is a crazy area on the Dawn and this is eliminated on the Pearl/Gem. We liked the Rock climbing wall and the bowling more than we thought we would.

Both are great choices and I do not think that you can go wrong with these options.

We are also debating the same questions as the OP for ourselves.

For those of you who get a spa pass, which has a better unisex thermal suite area? My husband and I loved the spa area on the Dawn. Is the Gem's just as nice, with the jacuzzi, hot tub and lap pool?

The Gem has a different kind of pool not the lap pool like on the Dawn. I know they have one hot tub not sure if they have the 2 that the Dawn does. The spa on the dawn was amazing, I am going on the Jewel in January and I am so sad not to have the lap pool etc from the Dawn :(

I would choose the Gem because it is better for the group you have. If you had small kids with you, I would suggest the Dawn. I think the nightlife was better on the Gem for your age group with the Bliss lounge. The Dawn was a little more low key. But just like everyone else said, you really can't go wrong with either, just look at your pros and cons and see what works best for you.

Archived