Roaming children... Arrh!

Boatingmom

Antigua? What happened to Guatamala? Or is Antigua the name of some city in Guatamala?

Hey! I thought you were 'well traveled'?! Yes, a city in the middle of the country, not to be confused with the island. You can actually even take excursions there if you make a cruise stop in the carribbean side. Really pretty, lots of old spanish architecture.

I'm in the minority, with you. Natalie Halloway's parents thought she was mature enough to go on her class trip...and look what happened.

You don't need to make him a man at his age...time will make him a man.

Just to add...my husband freaks out if he doesn't know where I am. He thinks someone is going to "snatch me and drag me off"....and I'm 61.

Sounds just like my husband, and I was taking care of myself long before him (didn'y marry for the first time until 32)

but in your previous post...admit it...you did make it sound as though you were left to fend for yourself.....nice try though!

I mean I wasn't living on the street, I stayed with some guatemalan people that the rest of the mission had stayed with before they left, but no other white person in the city. I don't know why I have to defend my childhood to you, my only point is everyone differs on how they grow up and how mature they are, so it's tough to try to pass judgement on everyone just because of how you choose to raise your own children.

This thread got me to thinking about certain passengers on the ship. Recently, there was a Carnival employee who was arrested for a previous molestation charge. He worked in the spa on the Splendor. But check this out and see see if anyone still wants their kids roaming around the ship alone or even with another child. Not me, not for one second.

Okay it won't let me link it. So, google sex offenders on cruise ships. The one I linked to was on Cruise Bruise. It has pictures of the offenders, etc.

Hey! I thought you were 'well traveled'?! Yes, a city in the middle of the country, not to be confused with the island. You can actually even take excursions there if you make a cruise stop in the carribbean side. Really pretty, lots of old spanish architecture.

I prefer Europe

What age do you thik its acceptable to allow the children be by themselves onboard for short periods of time? I'm not talking about signing out of the kids club and hanging out with derelicts. I'm talking about something like runningto the cabin to get a towel,l or going to the Lido to get their own ice cream. Rumor has it that I'm over protective. :eek:

I've been called paranoid & overprotective too. My response to your question is "at what age do you let your children wander the streets at your hometown and what time is curfew?" That would be your answer. Keep in mind that the ship is full of strangers including perhaps some people that are up to no good. Most of them are good people just like your home town. Always use caution and explain to the kids of the dangers - stranger danger. I've also told my kids that if a crew member tells them to come with them (go nowhere with them until they are able to get you). Smaller kids may be inclined to consider a crew member as authoritive figure when the crew may be up to no good. It has happened. Just use good judgement.

My son is 16 and is bigger than me but I still worry about him. Thats my job.

Wow. 31. Popular too? Wow....good for you.

yep.....and thank you

You don't really mean to sound as though 31 is old to marry do you? Because if you are saying that...I am sorry to say that you might be wrong in your thinking. I feel anything younger than 25 is too young btw...but it is legal so my opinion doesn't matter.....but trust me...31 in not all that unusual.....

also, you mentioned that your family runs these programs abroad for teens and kids....is that how you came to be part of it at 14? Great experience and I too started traveling at that age.

What age do you thik its acceptable to allow the children be by themselves onboard for short periods of time? I'm not talking about signing out of the kids club and hanging out with derelicts. I'm talking about something like runningto the cabin to get a towel,l or going to the Lido to get their own ice cream. Rumor has it that I'm over protective. :eek:

Although I have to say it totally depends on the child, will he/she know how to get to the room and back, etc I would say definitely no younger than 10, probably closer to 12.

I am probably the overprotective type also but our kids are 12/13 and will be on their 4th cruise, but we don't just let them "go". They are good kids, mature and trusting but it's everyone else I don't trust. So we allow them to sign out but only if we know where they are going and check in with us. There is no just taking off for no good reason and we'll see you later.

I will never understand how parents do not understand...it is NOT about your childs maturity or responsibility...it IS about how Irresponsible and Inmature, sick and perverse OTHER passengers CAN be.

I cringe when I see young girls and boys hanging out riding the elevators and roaming the halls without any concern who is around them.

Parents...PLEASE make sure your children are NOT ALONE by themselves until they are physically able to handle themselves.

yep.....and thank you

You don't really mean to sound as though 31 is old to marry do you? Because if you are saying that...I am sorry to say that you might be wrong in your thinking. I feel anything younger than 25 is too young btw...but it is legal so my opinion doesn't matter.....but trust me...31 in not all that unusual.....

also, you mentioned that your family runs these programs abroad for teens and kids....is that how you came to be part of it at 14? Great experience and I too started traveling at that age.

I'd say 31 is pretty average these days. Yep, building houses down there, usually twice a year, going again in November.

I'd say 31 is pretty average these days. Yep, building houses down there, usually twice a year, going again in November.

that sounds like a good business for your family. Are they houses for the locals or for US expats?

I hear that loads of folks retire to Central America and Mexico nowadays.

I will never understand how parents do not understand...it is NOT about your childs maturity or responsibility...it IS about how Irresponsible and Inmature, sick and perverse OTHER passengers CAN be.

Pedophiles prefer to hang out in parks and malls; nice target rich environments. Do you keep your tweens under lock and key at home, too?

Pedophiles prefer to hang out in parks and malls; nice target rich environments. Do you keep your tweens under lock and key at home, too?

how do you know that? Pedophiles hang out where kids are...And kids are on cruises....and some are from rich families

Based on a previous post on this thread...it is the uncles one has to be concerned about....so those big family groups are suspect as well!!!

Your post is just wrong......but you know that

Especially considering that your kid is more likely to be molested by a family member than by a stranger?

Personally, as a non-child-owning person who survived childhood (including having free reign of all the Disney parks at 13 provided my 16 year old brother and I stayed together), I think it depends on your kid, if they're solo or with a buddy and whether or not they are pretty much responsible kids or kids who haven't yet figured out how to balance freedom and responsibility. Trying to judge how anyone should handle their own situation on the word on messageboard denizens is pretty much taking the advice of strangers with no context.

The 10, 11, and 12 year old children in our party were never unsupervised last week. I was disgusted with the parents who let their 5 year olds go in the hot tub and they were no where to be found when they were spitting back and forth or splashing that salt water in my eyes. If I had to go somewhere and the kids couldn't (like past guest party) I got a relative to mind them.

I don't think allowing tweens run of the ship is appropriate either- I happen to get a lot of 11 and 12 year old pregnant girls at my job................ they got pregnant by NOT being supervised- just sayin.

Have no tweens. BUT...when my children were tweens, they certainly didn't roam the streets alone in the dark!! Maybe that is why they were able to grow into adults. It is called COMMON SENSE. Children are too precious to not take precautions with.

that sounds like a good business for your family. Are they houses for the locals or for US expats?

I hear that loads of folks retire to Central America and Mexico nowadays.

No, these are NPO's so building houses for indigenous people who don't have houses, not ex-pats. I don't think the government would let us keep our non-profit status if we were building homes of Muffy and Chip from Saratoga Springs:)

Been a vigilant parent is one thing, being a parachute parents means you lack confidence in your child's ability or you are putting them in situation they are not ready to handle. It's a phase most teachers hop will pass :eek:Many of us were raised by good parents in the 60's and 70's who gave up breathing room to ride our bikes from dawn to dusk. This summer i hosted a 12 yrs Chinese student for a moth who spoke very little English. She was more confident in a country she did not know, a family she did not know and a language she did not know than my son who is older.

My dear fellow parents, studies have shown the biggest threat to your kids are from those you love and trust NOT strangers. You jepordize ALL kids when you don't know or recognize the source of the threat.

OP - around 11 but preferable with a buddy.

Not sure where they prefer to hang out but they victimize more in families, child care churches. Are you slightly aware of this issue or read any recent reports. I know this is the internet forum and not much that is said should be taken seriously. You should do a better job when the issue of kids are involved. Pooh, where do you get your info about pedophiles? When are parents/adults going to stop assisting them by identifying the major source. Let's not be a pedophile enabler by stopping them in the family so they unable get to strangers

I'd say 11 or 12 to go off by themselves for any amount of time more than 15 minutes, but see no problem with an 8, 9, 10 year old running to the lido deck to get ice cream or pizza by themselves if the parent is by the pool, bar, etc. and coming right back.

They're not going to get snatched on the lido. It is amazing to me that some parents even let their children out of the house with their way of thinking that everyone is out to grab their kid. Just teach your children about the dangers that can be out there and how to react to them, but don't have them believing that danger lies everywhere, because it really doesn't. You're just doing them a disservice in the end.

I am a professor and a textbook author, and I speak on college campuses and to parents all across the country (I'm a developmentalist with a concentration in sexuality, have written 5 books). I respectfully disagree with your statement about pedophiles.

Because of the nature of this forum, I can't go into details here. All I can do is urge parents to be very cautious and very careful. Today, there is no such thing as being "too safe."

I am a professor and a textbook author, and I speak on college campuses and to parents all across the country (I'm a developmentalist with a concentration in sexuality, have written 5 books). I respectfully disagree with your statement about pedophiles.

Because of the nature of this forum, I can't go into details here. All I can do is urge parents to be very cautious and very careful. Today, there is no such thing as being "too safe."

VERY well said!!! Thank you!

Be safe NOW, so you won't have to be sorry later....after it is too late.

Today, there is no such thing as being "too safe."
If by that you mean you can never hold a child too tightly, I respectfully disagree. You will raise them to physical adulthood with absolutely no capacity to make their own choices and decisions.

I'm pretty sure we would be hearing more about it if kids on cruise ships were being molested on a regular basis. :rolleyes:

Archived