Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You

philsfun

Hey y'all! I have read through every single post, and I appreciate most (not the hateful ones) of your comments! I have learned so many things!

I still have a few questions. I know that some of them don't involve "secrets", but you guys seem to know the answers!

1.) Can I make reservations for anytime dining? For instance, if I would like to eat at 7, can I make a reservation and expect to eat at that time? You can make reservations for Anytime Dining but the actual practice varies by ship. On the Sapphire last year we could make reservations for three days in a row while on other ships only for each night. You can call DINE to make reservations. It may be difficult to make reservations between 6:00 PM and 7:30 PM because that is too early for a second seating to start.

2.) What is considered a carry-on? How many carry on items can you have? If it fits through the security scanners you can carry it on but scanners vary by port. Princess doesn't limit the number of carry on items. It is limited by what you can carry. Vancouver port authorities (not Princess) are strict about the size and have the same size restrictions as the airlines. We were required to go back and check a bag that I thought would have fit through the scanners.

3.) Has anyone here had personal experience with carrying alcohol onto a ship in Vancouver? I have heard a lot about FL and Australia, but nothing about Vancouver. I was thinking I would pack a box of wine in my packed bag and bring 2 bottles of champagne in my carry on's for my room. I carried on three bottles of wine that we bought near the port. They were in a separate wine bag such as those sold at Trader Joe's.

4.) Am I just silly, but why wouldn't people just bring on a deck of playing cards? They are less than a dollar and fit into any purse,pocket, or suitcase.

Thank you so much for all your information! You guys rock :)

Dev

See my comments above.

May will be my first cruise - going to Alaska on the Island Princess. I have enjoyed reading all the tips and answers to questions - have taken a few notes. Now my question about the cassino. Somewhere amongst the tips/comments I read that the cassino doesn't use Princess tokens any longer. A friend gave me about 15 that she had forgotten to cash out a few years ago - for some good luck play :D- would they still be useable?

Thanks

and please keep the tips coming

Fern

• 3 weeks later...
CVS carries Purex. I use them all the time - detergent & fabric softener all in one no mess,

Sharon

I just found the tip here (Genius. TY!) . . . and the Purex sheets at Amazon.com . . . for half the price (i.e., $4.95 for 22 sheets) of brick & mortar stores . . . and free shipping if you have Prime (at Amazon).

Double pack them in ziploc freezer bags. (Put in one bag and then put that bag in another bag.) Make sure to squeeze out all the air. So even if it leaks it won't make it out of the second bag!

We do this with all of our lotions and creams now that we can't carry them on. Invariably one thing leaks (into the first bag only) and it's always a differnet thing! :confused: :p :o

I don't like to pack laundry gels or powders. Purex sheets are MUCH better for travel. It doesn't take a lot of concentrated deterget ruin....everything. But ...if I do pack a liquid, such as mosquito repellent, or gel that can mess up the contents of luggage, not only will I double bag the container...but will also wrap the container with paper towels, or a item of clothing sich as a sock to help aborb any spill and keep the mess from spreading out of the first bag. I usually don't bother with incidental toiletries....though I keep them all in a separate toiletry bag. Hmm...maybe I'll stuff a sock in that next time, too. :rolleyes:

ok...sorry... Not really a Princess secret, except...as long as we are on laundry....I usually also pack a small brush to scrub out stain on clothes or shoes and the sinks in the laundry room are a great place to clean up from a leaking liquid disaster or muddy shore excursion. Much better that splashing the problem around trying to scrub away problems in the tiny sink in the statroom bathrooms.

Mike

I found some very good boxed wines at Target thanks to Consumer Reports. These appear to be exclusive to Target. The Cab/Shiraz blend is now my everyday wine (doctor's orders!). If you use an iPhone, the Target app shows a small wine glass next to Target stores that sell wine. I don't know if Targets in Florida sell wine or not but you could check via the app or possibly Target's web site.

I carry 5L boxed wine and double bag it in the Jumbo zip lock bags just in case. Never had a problem. It just adds to the weight of your suitcase. We are leaving out of FLL next year. Sure hope I can find it at the Publix there.

I've carried wine on board at Vancouver with no problems. In fact there is a great wine shop not far from Canada Place pier--very convenient if you want to buy wine after you arrive. It's at most a 10 minute walk towards Gastown.

I saw earlier in the thread people mentioned they were able to bring beer on board. However, in the cruise contract document, it specifically states, "wine and champagne" are ok. Can anyone clarify if beer is ok to bring on board?

thanks!

-Stacy

I saw earlier in the thread people mentioned they were able to bring beer on board. However, in the cruise contract document, it specifically states, "wine and champagne" are ok. Can anyone clarify if beer is ok to bring on board?

thanks!

-Stacy

Some ports are more lenient than others. In Ft Laud, my friend brought beer on, with no problem

I carry 5L boxed wine and double bag it in the Jumbo zip lock bags just in case. Never had a problem. It just adds to the weight of your suitcase. We are leaving out of FLL next year. Sure hope I can find it at the Publix there.

Total Wines is also there....they may have it too.

Some ports are more lenient than others. In Ft Laud, my friend brought beer on, with no problem

Thanks! I think this is the take home message. I know other cruisers in my group are concerned that they can only bring 1 bottle of wine, yet multiple people here have talked of bringing several bottles. As you stated, it probably varies port to port. Or, maybe they just want happy passengers!

You can totally ask for AND GET anything you want in the dining room but you need to ask for it the night before you want it. The head waiter was more than happy to arrange escargot and crab legs for us on a special order and we could have had it every night if we wanted by simply asking for it the night before.

Can you ask the night before, if you are anytime dining?

Thanks in advance

You can totally ask for AND GET anything you want in the dining room but you need to ask for it the night before you want it. The head waiter was more than happy to arrange escargot and crab legs for us on a special order and we could have had it every night if we wanted by simply asking for it the night before.

Thanks in advance

I have often wondered the same thing...We will be taking advantage of Anytime Dinning on our upcoming cruise on the Emerald Princess...if we dine at different times each night, how can we take advantage of requesting and receiving escargot every night?

Thanks in advance

Absolutely. When you make a request usually one of the captains comes by to fill the request. They are the guys that are dressed in dinner jackets. Tell your waiter that you made your request with a captain (remember his name) last night.

Absolutely. When you make a request usually one of the captains comes by to fill the request. They are the guys that are dressed in dinner jackets. Tell your waiter that you made your request with a captain (remember his name) last night.

We've asked for chocolate pecan pie and received it the next night. They were more than happy to accommodate us.

I'm a little confused. Everywhere on this board I read that bringing wine on board is permissible and even states this in the cruise contract. I know other lines don't allow it but in all my research as a Princess newbie I've read that you can bring wine, champagne, soda/pop, or water on board, per Princess. I don't want to start a big debate about that here, just looking for soemone to confirmthis, as there are now 2 posts by seperate posters joking about "who would ever bring wine onboard?"

Just want to clear it up for us newbs - also it might be considered a tip/secret to some! :)

Yes, Princess cust serv. has stated to me that is unlimited, as well as it is a 2 bottle MAX. 2 diff answers..

On Holland America its unlimited. Can anyone clarify what is the deal on Princess?

DH and I are going on our first cruise in September to celebrate our 10th Anniversary and I've really enjoyed reading this thread and finding our all these tips and secrets! I went ahead and compiled a new list and figured I'd share it here. Some of these things date back to the beginning of the thread so if there is anything that has changed that you know of please update and let us know! This list is 10 pages long in Word!

Princess Cruise Tips & Secrets

BEFORE THE CRUISE

PACKING

* Before you leave - e-mail pdfs of your passports, credit cards, etc. to yourself (and to a family member?) That way you can retrieve them from anywhere you can go online.

*And to avoid the really tough creases, ROLL your clothes instead of FOLDING them when you pack.

*Since unpacking suitcases onboard that held wet clothes (UGH bags sat out in the rain!) we use super large Ziploc bags(with handles). We pack our clothes in them, with tissue paper between the items. We then force out as much air as possible, seal, and place in a suitcase. The tissue helps to stop wrinkles and after unpacking, the bags double as laundry bags. I also put 1/2 of my clothes in one suitcase, and 1/2 in my husbands. He does the same--in case one suitcase gets lost, we still have something to wear.

*Bring along a small electric alarm clock, there isn't one in your room. You can ask for a wake up call however and the phone is LOUD

*Bring an over the door hanging bag, like a shoe holder, to keep track of your bathroom essentials and to not take up a lot of room

*Plastic Pencil boxes are the perfect size for storing bathroom items on the bottom shelf under the sink as well.

*waterproof case, that will go around your neck and will hold your ID, cruise card, credit card etc. while swimming/snorkeling in port.

*empty beach bag a place to put all your purchases

GETTING THINGS READY

*Cruise ship has global maritime cell phone coverage. Check to see if your phone/provider is able to use it. Sign up in advance, but just pay as you use.

*Some hotels offer a park and cruise option

*Arrive in town the day before you're scheduled to leave port to ensure you don't miss it due to travel problems! And if any luggage is lost it might be found by then!

FOOD

GENERAL RESTAURANT INFO

*One of the dining rooms will be open for lunch on embarkation day although you are usually directed to the buffet. We think the dining room is a better experience and starts the cruise off perfectly.

*If you decide to eat in a specialty restaurant you may want to make the reservation for the last night. The landfall menu is ordinary with choices like meatloaf and turkey dinner with stuffing. The only thing you will miss is the baked Alaska which isn't that great.

*If you decide to eat in Sabatini’s I would make a reservation for the night that they are serving Italian food in the main dining room.

*If you befriend the maitre d, you will have a "special" appetizer at your table each night. This was true for us on the Ruby, Emerald and Caribbean Princess. *Of course that comes with a good tip at the end of the week for the special service. Well worth it!

FOOD RECOMMENDATION & AVAILABILITY

*In the morning, you can get waffles at the pizza stand. Waffles are actually available at the ice cream stand, not the pizza stand. However, on the Crown, Emerald and Ruby the pizza and ice cream stand have been combined at one location.

*You can order a complementary plate of assorted stuffed olives at the martini bar.

*Many people think that the salads, sandwiches, and pastry in the International Cafe cost extra, but they are free!

*Cookies and milk about 3pm. 3:30 Horizion Court's fresh warm cookies and brownies to die for!

*Onion soup is available every night.

*Volcano dessert, available on children's menu basically a huge banana split – yum

*Sabatini and Sterling serve fresh deserts that are not usually on the menu of the main dining rooms. At the end of the night when they close down 10:00-10:30, most of the deserts are taken up to Horizon Court. Nothing to plan your evening around, but if you’re in the area it’s something to check out.

*The white pizza day.

*The grilled chicken on the LIDO deck at a table for two.

*The appetizers and sushi are free in the Vines wine bar but they charge you for cheese. We had a nice server on our last cruise. Since we were the only ones in the lounge, he gave us a plate of cheeses for free after I inquired about them

*It may not be a secret but we love to go to Lido deck in the morning where the pizzeria is serving waffles and the Trident Grill is making omelets of your choice. There are usually tables available so that you can dine al fresco.

*Reservations for the steak house ask to sit at the counter overlooking the kitchen area, fun to watch the staff put it altogether and see the teamwork involved.

*popcorn during MUTS (MUSIC UNDER THE STARS)

*twice-baked goat cheese soufflé,

*Lobster and Scampie Dinner with a side of Alfredo.

*If you want to take food back to your room from the buffet, tin foil is a great thing to bring and use or you can use a second plate as a “lid”

SPECIAL REQUESTS

*On our last cruise on the Grand we learned that you can have escargot anytime but you need to let the dining room know 24 hours in advance. That's also true for most dishes. I know we missed crab legs as they were the same night as our chef's table. So the maitre D took the order for us for the next night.

*ask for fresh berries for dessert and they are usually very obliging.

*My favorite secret -- if you order the alfredo pasta (really good) ask them to serve it in a Parmesan bowl -- comes in a crispy melted cheese bowl -- how fun!

*On the Ocean Princess you can have almost anything you want just by asking, without extra charge. Order any special dish 24 hours in advance.

Duck liver pâté appetizer, various lamb entrees and couple other menu items (including desserts) that I really liked and asked them to reserve for me again the following night, which they are happy to do.

ICE CREAM

*Princess makes lovely ice cream and sorbets, which are on the luncheon and dinner menus. My favorites are the pink grapefruit and honeydew sorbets. *They also make lovely soufflés.

*I don't know about the bigger ships, but the small ships have ice cream at the buffet from 3:30 to 4:30 each afternoon. To the best of my knowledge, only the Ocean and the Pacific still have ice cream at the buffet in the afternoon

*If the ship has Scoops or an Ice Cream Bar on the Lido Deck, the ice cream there is now free and they have discontinued the free ice cream at the buffet. Thankfully, I was able to get free chocolate or vanilla hard ice cream at Scoops since I didn't care for the soft-serve. If you don’t like the cones, bring a small, empty dish from the buffet and tell them you have a wheat allergy. They'll put the ice cream in the dish.

CHEF'S TABLE

*Chef's Table is fantastic ($95 per person) but it includes all wine, food, a cookbook, a photo, and a rose for the ladies. You have to call the DINE line and ask to be put on the list, and there is no guarantee you will get it.

*On our Emerald Princess cruise a couple of years ago there was dinner with the executive chef which was a new program they were starting. At that time you could only register once you boarded the ship and it was extremely limited (8 people and only done twice on our 10 day cruise). There's an extra charge, but you visit the galley during dinner rush, have French champagne with hors d'oeuvres (fois gras, escargot, caviar) in the galley, then we were seated at a special table with the executive chef and maitre'd in the dining room. Candles, centerpiece of flowers, special menu with free flowing wine selected for each course... After dinner we were presented with a group photo, and a Princess cookbook signed by the executive chef. Cost then was $75 per person, but it was worth every penny. We had full attention of the wait staff and the production certainly drew the attention of all the other passengers in the dining room. Food and wine was fabulous.

*If you don't drink wine let them know and they will reduce the cost by $10-15.

MENUS

*At dinner, you can ask to see the menu for the next night, if you don't like what is on the menu you can ask for something different and they will make it for you, they are very accommodating. I also ask for fresh berries for dessert and they are usually very obliging.

*If you want to find out about when your favorite item will be on the menu, ask your waiter or headwaiter, they know and are usually very willing to tell you.

*Secret ~ at lunch time check out the menu by the dining rooms, they will tell you what is being served for dinner. If you don't like what you see, go to the Horizon Court, the food is almost identical to what is being served in the dining room, except you don't have to spend three hours waiting and eating.

On the first day, we simply ask to see the week’s menus and look over what’s happening for the week. Then make plans for the week there and then. The MD or any head waiter can show them to you.

*I take digital photos of the dining room menus when they are posted, so I can zoom in and peruse them at my leisure. This thread says that the whole week's menus are in a binder at the entrance to the DR, but I don't know if one could get hold of it long enough to photograph it!

ROOM SERVICE

*If you want a breakfast delivery before the times that are listed on the order card, just write in the time you want delivery. It will arrive on time, or most likely a few minutes early.

*I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but on our first cruise (Feb/11) we tried the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. It was fantastic - 5 or 6 courses, served by 2 attentive staff, cocktails, champagne and a photographer to boot! At that time it was $50 per person, but definitely worth the extra $$. We will definitely do this again. Hint - don't eat much during the day!

*I use room service as my wake-up call. I hang the request on my door before I go to bed, they knock on my door at the time I request and they have coffee and pastries for me.

*If there is something you want for breakfast that isn't listed on the card, write it in and they may provide it for you.

DRINKS

BRINGING YOUR OWN

*Yes, you can bring wine, soda and water on board with no problem....enjoy

And beer. We were told beer is not considered alcohol, go figure, and allowed to bring on board at every port. Once not even in a bag. This can vary by ship

*If you bring wine onboard you can pick up wine glasses at any bar or just leave your room steward a note to always leave clean glasses in your room. *And you can also borrow a cork screw. And ask for a bucket for chilling wine or champagne

*If you want to take your own soda, buy the 12 or 24 can "box". Use duct tape and reinforce the edges and corners and "make" a handle. Put a luggage tag on it and put it with your checked bags. No trouble and it's delivered to your cabin.

*Some of the first things we do after boarding, is we always request that the steward remove the soft drinks and bottled water from inside and on top of the fridge to make room for our own drinks.

*I bring packets of Crystal Light [so light to carry] and mix it with water and ice from the buffet and, I'm all set with my drink.

*You can bring an insulated mug [also very light] and use that to put your ice tea or your soda in. We also bring cans of caffeine-free diet coke.

WATER

*We take our empty water bottles up to the buffet and fill them from the water spigots there (late at night just before we go to bed) oh and we might pick up some desserts to eat too lol!!!

*Bring a water bottle to take on shore excursions

Since Princess cabins have mini-fridges, we bring a small Pur or Brita filter container because we enjoy lots of water. We also mix some of the filtered water in containers with Crystal light tubes which are the perfect size.

COFFEE CARDS

*Get your coffee card on the 1st day - this entitles you to 15 coffees but also unlimited pots of tea and I think hot chocolate. You can sit in the peaceful surroundings of the International Café, and get proper tea in a nice pot. Save your coffee for when you really need it.

*Coffee cards are only good for your cruise but as long as you have at least one punch mark left unpunched you can get free brewed coffee in the coffee bars in perpetuity. I know because I don't mind the "syrup" served in the DR, but DH prefers the fresh brewed so each morning I stop by and get him a large coffee from "Princess Bucks". A nice tip at the end of the cruise is appropriate here.

*The International Cafe on Deck 5 is not the only place that you can use the coffee card. Use it in the dining rooms for espresso based coffees, and also on a few of the bars on Lido deck for same and brewed coffee. If you ask at one bar and they don't have same, they can tell which ones do.

SODA/DRINK CARDS

*I think the soda card is $4.50 a day plus 15% gratuity and the ultimate card is $9.00 a day plus 15% gratuity.

*Bought the ultimate drink sticker (UKP) and was told that fresh squeezed OJ was free with this sticker. Had to put up an argument with the waiter on Monday AM in the dining room about it, but they finally conceded that it was free with the sticker. Didn't encounter any problems about fresh squeezed OJ the rest of the week. One small disappointment - was told smoothies were free. Found out that the green tea smoothies at the International Cafe were NOT. Otherwise, things were great!

DRINK SPECIALS

*You can get cocktails for $3.99 in all the bars after 8.00pm - limited range but includes Pina Colada and Long Island Ice Tea. PC in the Crooners bar was good as it was frozen. (which included certain bottled beers, Pina Coladas, Long Island Iced Teas and Singapore Slings as well as "well drinks"). A suggestion to pay $7.50 for a double sounded like a better deal.

*In May we were on the Caribbean Princess and they offer a Cocktail Hour in the Skywalker Lounge with great appetizers and reduced cocktail (Only one to choose from at $2.99) of course you could get anything else you wanted at the regular price. Don't know if it will be offered on the Grand 11-08 sailing...hope so, it is available to Platinum and Elite as well as Suite (Not counting Mini- suites) They close off 1/2 the area and do check cards - but if even one in your group is platinum just have them pay for the drinks. It is every night of the cruise except the captain’s party. There will be an invite in your room. We really enjoyed going there.

OTHER DRINK INFO

*Yes they have pineapple juice -- I have requested it on the card you fill in for room service breakfast. It isn't one of the choices on the card. Sometimes I get it and sometimes not.

*You get a lovely hot and tasty cup of tea in the dining room at afternoon tea - the only good tea we got on the ship!!

*Tipping cash to the bartenders goes a long way. You get better drinks..and some freebies besides !!!

*On all the cruises we've been on, we have asked for Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice in the MDR at breakfast, and there was no charge. Much better than the frozen concentrate. This no longer exists. They now charge for fresh squeezed. Sorry!

*For a really lovely place to have a pre-dinner or sunset watching cocktail, try the little area outside (aft) of Adagio. (Adagio Bar only on Crown, Emerald and Ruby)

ROOMS

THINGS TO REQUEST

*Ask your travel Agent to fax a request for the egg crates for bed tell them you want a top sheet as well, as I don't like the duvet cover without the top sheet.

*I always ask for a terrycloth robe and usually get it

*When you get to your cabin and meet your steward you can request top sheets for your bed (I don't like having only a duvet over me), extra pillows, ice bucket for chilling wine of champagne, extra shampoo etc., wine glasses, and you can borrow a corkscrew if you want to ask the steward for it.

*Some of the first things we do after boarding, is we always request that the steward remove the soft drinks and bottled water from inside and on top of the fridge to make room for our own drinks.

*Also, another request right after getting to the cabin is extra hangers. Even if they don't have wooden ones, they do have plastic and metal. Easier to hang things up (evening tops, golf shirts, etc) than making piles in the closet.

When you get to your state room, ask for robe & slippers plus a bed topper, and upgraded pillows....you won't be sorry !!!!

*You want blankets instead of the duvet - no problem. I think the service is amazing, and the crew so obliging.

*Ask for Egg crates, top sheet, robe, slippers, bed topper, and upgraded pillows.

ELECTRICAL OUTLETS

*No one has yet mentioned what we thought was a Big Secret! Our TV on the last 2 cruises wouldn't shut off so called pursers desk. They talked us through how to unplug it, leave it alone for a minute and then replug! Now that in itself was great but, when you open the little door under the TV for the plug, well, there are extra outlets not being used! This was great when the shortage of outlets to recharge everything we needed to recharge was a problem! I don't know what door is being referred to. There is an outlet behind the TV with onespace free.

*There is another electrical point under the bed. If you forget your adaptor as we did, you can get one from your room steward but this is hit and miss. We forgot ours but Steward told us he wasn't able to get one for us - other passengers managed to get one though? The electrical outlet under the bed is for a 220V European schuko plug and the lamp for one of the nightstands is plugged in there.

*I thought I'd mention that on our last cruise on the Diamond, we took our own 4-socket plug board. We're UK residents, so we just needed the one US/UK adaptor to plug in the plugboard, and then we were able to charge up our laptops, phones, iPad (I know, we're sad) through sockets on it. Also has the added advantage that some of our appliances have oversized plugs, which won't necessarily fit as the space around the main socket is quite cramped.

*Bring your own surge protector or power strip to have more outlets.

GENERAL ROOM INFO

*Under your bed there is stored more bedding.

*Unpacked suitcases usually fit fine under the bed and leave more room on the floor of the closet for shoes.

*Take 3 or 4 of those black metal binder clips, and hang them on the bottom edge of the shower curtain. The extra weight will keep it from swinging in and "hugging" you while you shower.

*Bring along some cheap magnets (you can get them in craft shops--or have a purpose in bringing home souvenirs). The walls have metal in them and you can "hang up" all those pesky papers you get every day in your cabin!

*If you are staying in an interior stateroom leave the TV on the bridge cam channel it will give the illusion of a window and if you leave it on all night it will serve as a night light.

*Bring air freshener

*Clothes line in the bathroom for hanging swimsuits up to dry.

*Bring Sticky notes for when spouse sleeps in to leave a note on the mirror or door.

*Bring Highlighters for Princess Patters and highlight times/ places/ activities, etc for the next day

*Take a pop-up mesh hamper for your dirty clothes.

GENERAL SHIP STUFF

SHIP TIPS

*For a really lovely place to have a pre-dinner or sunset watching cocktail, try the little area outside (aft) of Adagio. Also, Skywalker's offers incredible views if you prefer to be indoors.

*Also, Skywalker's offers incredible views if you prefer to be indoors. Nice and quiet in the afternoons because the bar isn't open.

*It may not be a secret but we love to go to Lido deck in the morning where the pizzeria is serving waffles and the Trident Grill is making omelets of your choice. There are usually tables available so that you can dine al fresco.

*When you get off of the elevator to go to your room and aren't sure whether to turn left or right, look at the carpet in the halls. On one side of the ship on every passenger deck the hallways have blue carpeting. The other side has blue carpeting as well but there is some red in that side. I can't remember if the red is on the port or starboard side but it sure makes knowing which way to go much easier.

*Another stop we make is a trip to the purser’s desk and have them make a hole in our card which we hang on lanyards. Can also be done in the Casino and they may give you a lanyard.

*Sit at a slot machine and insert your cruise card (which is also your cabin key) and ask for money from your account to be loaded to the slot machine. The charge that will appear on your account is the amount you asked for with no service fee added. If you go to cashier a 3% fee will be charged. When you are finished at the slot machine, be sure to upload any remaining money to your cruise card (actually, it is to a ship's computer so if you lose your card, the money is not lost -- the cruise card is the vehicle to identify yourself). Then you can bring your cruise card to the casino cashier and ask to be given cash for the money that has been uploaded.

*Check out the Sanctuary $ (search the boards for description using the word Sanctuary) but you have to get there as soon as you get on board if you want to reserve for the entire cruise.

*It’s a little inconvenient but I often go up to the Spa to shower. The showers there are great.

*The adults only pool area near the Lotus Spa was always the easiest place to find an open hot tub.

GETTING AROUND THE SHIP

*On most of the ships the Port side has red/pink in the carpet and on the Starboard side it has blue.

*On disembarkation day if you are trying to get on an elevator to get down to the disembarkation decks, push the up button, ride up and then down as the up elevators are not full.

THINGS TO DO

*Most of the evening entertainment is focused on Deck 7, Promenade, with the Princess theater, Crooner's piano bar, Wheelhouse, Explorer's and Club Fusion. But, the entertainment on Deck5 in the Piazza also offers an alternative.

*Books in the library are free to borrow, as long as you return them before you get off

*If you've finished with your own book, there is a little cupboard in the library for 'passenger exchange'? This is open even when the rest of the library shelves are locked and - particularly at the beginning and the end of the cruise - you can find an interesting selection of those paperbacks which people have read and don't want to carry home.

*Popcorn during MUTS(MOVIES UNDER THE STARS)

*They usually have spa and salon specials on port days. These will be well advertised so it’s not a secret.

*You can buy used decks of card (almost new) for $1 in the casino. Sometimes they will do a special of 6 decks for $5

*On our Coral cruise the card room was often packed with people playing all kinds of card games. We found one foursome playing Hand and Foot in partners. That was new to us so we got the rules verbally and tried it out. So much fun and so much quicker than the way we usually play. So check out what others are playing in the card room. You might just pick up a new "favorite" game to take back home.

*There are lots of things to do on the ship, lots of freebies if you hunt for them. There is the initial send off Scavenger Hunt and you find all the spots they want you to go, enter your card in the chance to win prizes. Go to the many poolside events and you have a chance to win Champagne. Art Showings and Auctions have a glass of free bubbly. Enter all the fun contests and competitions for chances to win free bubbly, travel bags, hats, playing cards, Luggage tags, t-shirts, mugs, etc..We always win something on the cruises!

*To get a free shoulder massage (and sometimes they use hot rocks and bamboo and other things like that) tour the spa right when you board the ship. They will also give out free teeth whitening samples too.

Find out when/where the Muster drill is and go get your life jacket. Take it with you a little ahead of time and "beat the crowd". Some may not require the life jacket.

*The spa/wave pool without the wave machine going

COMPUTERS AND INTERNET

*If you pre purchase internet minutes before you leave you will get free minutes based on the package you pick.

*If you go to a computer station in the Future Cruise booking area or Internet Cafe, click on the on screen icon to send a free e-postcard. There is no fee and it's an easy way to let the folks at home know where you are and how you're doing. There is a 300 character limit but you could send more than one message to the same email address if you need to get a longer message out. I used it on the Emerald in May and it worked great.

*You can also surf princess.com at no charge in the internet cafe or on your laptop using the wifi

*This is not a "Secret" and is very obvious to most of us, but when using your own PC onboard and checking your email, never read individual messages while you're online using up your minutes. Download everything by clicking 'Send and Receive' and then read it off line. Compose ALL your outgoing messages in Word, WordPad, etc before you go back online, and then cut and paste them into an email. Also, make sure all your email buddies know NOT to send you emails with elaborate attachments (i.e. all those "forwards") while you're on the ship as downloading them really scarfs up the minutes.

LAUNDRY

*If you do laundry onboard, I suggest you bring a roll of quarters and powder laundry detergent (can't fly with liquid in carry on and it may leak in checked bag) because sometimes the coin machine and vending machine are empty or don't work.

*I used Purex 3 in 1 laundry sheets. You throw it in the washing machine and it will release soap. Take the sheet out of the wash a place it in the dryer with the wet cloths and it's a fabric softener anti static sheet. If you can't find the Purex in Wal-Mart or the supermarket you can go to a Laundromat and purchase detergent there or you can just pack powder detergent in Ziploc bags.

*One more thing I forgot to mention - since you can't bring a clothing iron on board, and going to the laundry room to use theirs can be sort of a pain, a small bottle of Dove wrinkle releaser (which you just spray on, and then smooth out the fabric) works very well on minor wrinkles (but not really stiff creases). If you use it when you first arrive and then hang up your clothes afterwards, they're usually fine.

*And to avoid the really tough creases, ROLL your clothes instead of FOLDING them when you pack.

*Ditto on the Purex 1 in 3 - saves a ton of hassle also we carry a roll of quarters change machines are often broken.

*I bring 2 pillowcases from home for laundry. I keep one for dirty clothes and one for laudered clothes. I makes it easier to carry the clothes back to your room without dropping socks and underwear!

*Instead of mesh bags or pillow cases, I have a spare rip-stop nylon bag that folds totally flat. I put it empty into my suitcase. On the cruise, it's great for hauling laundry back and forth. On the way home, I fill it with dirty clothes and check it. More room for the new purchases in the suitcase! Or, if I didn't buy much, it goes back in the suitcase.

*I don't trust zip loc bags filled with goo in my luggage, a better option might be one of the snap sided plastic sandwich boxes.

GENERAL TIPS

*Always ask if there is a charge.

*Always ask for what you want, the staff try to accommodate to the best of their abilities

*Whenever we fly to or from a destination to board the ship, we always include a weight hook to make sure we're not over whatever the allowance is when we check in.

*Always ask for what you want, the staff try to accommodate to the best of their abilities

*Most importantly, don't disembark without a couple of future cruise credits.

*One thing I've learned, regardless of the cruise line, is be skeptical of any "deals" you see on the ship or right off the port - most of the stores are owned my cruise lines and standard tourist crap you can get anywhere... think of the disgust most folks have for tourist trips in their own town... go past the dock, get away from the uber touristy traps and find the more local markets. You might have to walk a little farther, but you'll probably find something more authentic and/or cheaper. Also, you can book nearly the same excursions for half price if you book them on the dock instead of through the ship.

*Even if you don't buy internet minutes you should bring your laptop for downloading pictures from your sd card onto it

*Last night of the cruise, head up to the Horizon Court (or the International Café) for some pre-travel treats. Cookies are always available. We put a couple cookies in our zip loc bag(s) for our travel home the next day.

Don't email anything you don't want others to read.

Your home e-mail is just not that secure.

Be cautious about enclosing your personal ID's, SSN's or CC info.

Thank you for going through all the previous entries. I had just gone through about 6 pages and decided to jump to the last page. What a pleasant surprise to find a summary! I am thinking about booking a Princess cruise for the first time. We have been on HAL, NCL, RCL and CCL and always check the tips from previous cruisers. They have been helpful.

Thank you again. That was quite a bit of work.

Yes, Princess cust serv. has stated to me that is unlimited, as well as it is a 2 bottle MAX. 2 diff answers..

On Holland America its unlimited. Can anyone clarify what is the deal on Princess?

Apparently, which port you sail from determines how lenient they are....FLL is VERY lenient. When we went on a med cruise, at each port (Venice, Naples, Rome, Barcelona, Monte Carlo and the Azores)we brought on a bottle of champagne and at least one bottle of red....no problem.

Archived