Cruise Virgins with questions!

d4m

Will be cruising in May on 14 day Transatlantic, Equinox. I have many questions, but the first few have to do with dining and room questions.

When we booked, we were asked what time we wanted to eat and we chose the early seating as we don't eat lunch. Never were we asked if we wanted to sit by ourselves or with another couple or at larger tables. When is this question asked and how should we remedy this? Don't want to get stuck by ourselves.

When we booked (not through celebrity) we were told that our veranda room had a partial obstruction, in that there would be lifeboats or other things below us. No problem. However, our room confirmation now says the room is obstructed, and is classified as such, rahter than partially obstructed. Anyone ever have this problem and what can be done?

I surely don't want to screw up the OBC as my sister would probably toss me overboard.

Perhaps a stupid question, but one for anyone who has traveled on a transatlantic cruise that gets into port at 4:30 a.m. What is the typical time they would let you off the ship? I will be itching to get into Rome that day and don't want to wait all day!!!

Last question for tonight - what time is breakfast usually available, both room service and the buffet? One early riser and one (me) not so much:D

Thanks!!

Will answer what I can - my answers are in Red.

Will be cruising in May on 14 day Transatlantic, Equinox. I have many questions, but the first few have to do with dining and room questions.

When we booked, we were asked what time we wanted to eat and we chose the early seating as we don't eat lunch. Never were we asked if we wanted to sit by ourselves or with another couple or at larger tables. When is this question asked and how should we remedy this? Don't want to get stuck by ourselves.

Even if you don't eat lunch there will be plenty of opportunities for snacking. There is a late afternoon buffet with sandwiches, ice cream, salad, pasta, etc. If you prefer to sit at a larger table (like a table of 8 so you can meet new people - that's what we like) then ask your travel agent to make note of this on your reservation.

When we booked (not through celebrity) we were told that our veranda room had a partial obstruction, in that there would be lifeboats or other things below us. No problem. However, our room confirmation now says the room is obstructed, and is classified as such, rahter than partially obstructed. Anyone ever have this problem and what can be done?

I surely don't want to screw up the OBC as my sister would probably toss me overboard.

Generally there are no fully obstructed windows. But do a search on this site and through Google of your ship and cabin number and you should be able to find specific comments and perhaps pictures.

Perhaps a stupid question, but one for anyone who has traveled on a transatlantic cruise that gets into port at 4:30 a.m. What is the typical time they would let you off the ship? I will be itching to get into Rome that day and don't want to wait all day!!!

When the ship arrives in port it has to be cleared by Customs and Immigration in that country. The earliest you can usually depart is about 7 am, although it could be later (like maybe even 9 am) if there are delays. That gives you time to get dressed and enjoy breakfast on the ship, rather than spending $$$ on shore!

Last question for tonight - what time is breakfast usually available, both room service and the buffet? One early riser and one (me) not so much:D

Room service is usually available 24 hours a day. The buffet opens with a continental breakfast (fruit, coffee, juices, sweet rolls, etc.) at 6 and they add on items until the full breakfast opens at 7. Breakfast is normally available until 10 am ... but you'll ALWAYS be able to find something to eat!!

Thanks!!

Enjoy your first cruise! YOu may want to post subsequent questions on the Celebrity board for more specific answers.

Which ship and cabin number are you? That will help folks describe what "obstruction" there might be.

Whomever you booked with, call them and specify that you'd like a large table...that way, you can be assured of tablemates! Sometimes, a 6-top will end up being just 2 couples , as one couple won't show, or makes other plans....the larger, the better!

Hello,

You have asked intelligent questions, so no more woe is me for asking stupid questions.

The other posters have responded with excellent information for you. However, if your TA or line booking service is unresponsive do not worry unduly. Once on board the ship go see the Maitre D in the dining room and asked for his assistance. Usually he will ask you to keep the dining room assignment you have for that first night's dinner and see him in the morning OR he might make a change for you then and there if he can accomodate you. Usually after the first night there are a lot of changes. Some passengers who have second seating want first seating and vice versa. Others opt for Any Time Dining. Others may not show up at their assigned table for dinner at all, preferring to eat in the buffet.

Arriving at ports is usually done on time so if it is scheduled to arrive at 4:30 AM it will be there. Remember though that this is not an exact science, andis subjectto alkindsof factors such as weather storms, passpot problems and soon. In Italy though a 4:30 AM arrivalmeans you will be off the ship by 6:30AM or earlier. Remember that Civitavecchia is a port complex and it is my opinion that you should book a tour as to make the best use of your time.

Breakfast...there willbe coffee, sweet rolls, juice etc as early as 5:30 AM on some Celebrity ships. However, one of the joys of a cruise is to have a breakfast in the main dining room.

Do not hesitate with questions.

Many thanks for all of your suggestions. I have tried to find pictures and posts about out specific room and have found some rooms fairly close, but not ours. We are on Continental Deck - somewhere in the 6180's. Whatever will be, will be. I do think I will take a sturdy notebook and scoop out the best veranda rooms for next time!

I need to chill, as getting this excited months and months in advance just isn't good for the blood pressure :D

Thanks again

There is already an active roll call for your sailing here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1183792

Go over and introduce yourself. Your fellow cruisers are likely discussing excursions and post cruise activities in Rome. I see that is where your TA ends, and you should consider two or three days in Rome after your cruise. We did three days last year and it still was not enough. EM

If you didn't request a table for 2, at least to me it's doubtful that's what you would wind up with. These tend to be requested far more than what is available. But as others have said, check into your seating assignment when you board and ask the maitre d' to adjust it if it isn't to your liking.

You will have a breakfast order form in your cabin, the most convenient thing is to fill it out the night before and specify what time you want your breakfast delivered in the morning, if you want room service. Then you hang it on your doorknob outside your cabin, I think it is supposed to be out before 2 or 3am. Oh, and be sure to write your cabin number on it! I didn't one night, must have got lazy & thought they were pre-printed with room numbers but they aren't.

And have to say you are cruise virgins after my own heart, going on a 2 week transatlantic for your first cruise venture! :D

You've already had some good responses, but I'll try to add a little:

When we booked, we were asked what time we wanted to eat and we chose the early seating as we don't eat lunch. Never were we asked if we wanted to sit by ourselves or with another couple or at larger tables. When is this question asked and how should we remedy this? Don't want to get stuck by ourselves. Tables for 2 are not plentiful, and many people request them. Since you didn't discuss it, I'm pretty sure you'll find yourself at a table for 6, 8, or 10. I'd suggest that you call back and ask your specific cruise line. Personally, I like a 2-top for dinner; you'll be seated with groups for breakfast and lunch (if you eat in the dining room), so we like "just us" for dinner.

Since you have months before your cruise, they can absolutely make small changes like that for you.

I surely don't want to screw up the OBC as my sister would probably toss me overboard. Google your ship name/your cabin number -- if you're lucky, you'll see a pix of your specific cabin. If that fails, google your ship's deck plans and study the diagrams carefully. Look up and down one deck. You can learn a great deal this way. I'd put some effort into this; my cabin matters to me, and I'd be unhappy to be in a substandard room for 14 days!

If you're not pleased with what you learn, call back and ask about changing to a different room within your same category. Before you change, ask specifically if this will affect your OBC. Typically OBC isn't affected IF you're changing from one cabin to another, but it usually IS lost if you change dates or change ships. Regardless, don't count on "usually". Since it matters a great deal to your sister, ASK.

Some obscured rooms are highly coveted. For example, Disney has a couple ships that are sold as "insides" but actually have windows that're mostly blocked by lifeboats. People who are only willing to pay for an inside love these rooms because they get a little bit of natural light for free.

Perhaps a stupid question, but one for anyone who has traveled on a transatlantic cruise that gets into port at 4:30 a.m. What is the typical time they would let you off the ship? I will be itching to get into Rome that day and don't want to wait all day!!! Go to your ship's website and you should be able to view your itinerary. It'll tell you exactly what time your ship will arrive/depart from each port, and it'll tell you whether you'll dock (pull up to a pier) or whether you'll tender ("park" some distance from shore and be ferried back and forth in little boats).

Last question for tonight - what time is breakfast usually available, both room service and the buffet? One early riser and one (me) not so much:D I've only sailed Disney and Royal Carribean, but breakfast choices seem to abound. On both lines, I think breakfast begins around 6:00 am in the buffet, a little later in the dining room. And room service is 24 hours/day.

Onboard you'll receive a newspaper every night, which will give you all the times for the next day's buffet and dining room (as well as activities).

My husband, the early riser, loves to get up early and walk around the crowd-free deck, eat "first breakfast" of ham & cheese croissants in the Promenade Cafe, and then have "second breakfast" with the family once we're all up.

Thank you one and all for the great responses!

I intended to call the TA yesterday, but was delayed at work. Will call them Monday and ask about the obstructed room. We had agreed on a partially obstructed room, with lifeboats below, not at our balcony level. I have been unable to find out exact room listed anywhere on the Celebrity Boards or through Google.

Glad to hear that, most likely, they will not give us a dinner seating for 2 people. Will also state our preference for 6 or 8 Monday.

Our Itinerary states we will dock at 4:30 a.m. in Rome. I can't find anything more about that - yet.

So nice to hear the Room Service Tips and about the times the buffet opens. One of us is a real night person and the other not so much. Consequently, one of us is a very early morning person, while the other (me) is not particularly interested in 5 a.m. walks anywhere:D

Thank you again for all the help.

Archived