Hurricanes

portlandgreg

I am taking my first cruise in a few weeks from NY to Canada. I've been watching the weather and noticed that hurricanes have been popping up. What happens if there is a hurricane? Do they cancel the cruise? Take an alternate course? Should I expect to be tossed around the vessel like a ragdoll? Anyone with past experiences with hurricanes? Thanks for the input.

If a hurricane were to impact your port-of-calls, they will re-route to somewhere else. They will NOT sail into the storm!

Even if the seas are a bit rougher than normal, you shouldn't be "tossed about"!

The Captain does a great job of avoiding bad weather, when possible.

Just be prepared and know in advance that you may not make all of the ports you were scheduled for!

I am taking my first cruise in a few weeks from NY to Canada. I've been watching the weather and noticed that hurricanes have been popping up. What happens if there is a hurricane? Do they cancel the cruise? Take an alternate course? Should I expect to be tossed around the vessel like a ragdoll? Anyone with past experiences with hurricanes? Thanks for the input.

The early season hurricanes tend to go up the East Coast. The late season hurricanes tend to go into the Gulf.

Last August we were on the Oean Princess sailing back to NYC. Our last port-of-call was Sidney, NS. Due to very high winds sailing was delayed about 12 hours. As NYC was the end of the cruise we were forced to sail thru Tropical Storm Danny at full speed. We rocked alot that afternoon.

Last August we were on the Oean Princess sailing back to NYC. Our last port-of-call was Sidney, NS. Due to very high winds sailing was delayed about 12 hours. As NYC was the end of the cruise we were forced to sail thru Tropical Storm Danny at full speed. We rocked alot that afternoon.

This is my first cruise at 70,flying from the UK on Saturday,to join the Emerald Princess going to the carribean,I feel sea sick just reading your thread :eek:

This is my first cruise at 70,flying from the UK on Saturday,to join the Emerald Princess going to the carribean,I feel sea sick just reading your thread :eek:

Get you some sea bands. Here in the states they are everywhere, Walmart, etc. It is a pressure point on your wrist and they work well. You can get the patch, transderm scope. It is a band aid that goes behind your ear with a time release medicine. They are used for cancer patients and work great. They say to change every 3 days, they work for 7 days for me. Take it off when you shower, wash hair, etc. After it is dry it will restick, do not use lotions, etc. there. You will probably have to get them from your doctor. I would not cruise without them. We have been on several when storms have come through, stayed on an extra 2 and 3 days. They turn the ship away and everything is great. We have been in regular storms before with rough seas and a lot of wind. That doesn't happen often, or hasn't for us. We have cruised for 17 years. You will have a wonderful time, just come prepared. The ship doctors are very expensive, so bring everything with you. If you need it you have it. I put the patch on at least 4 hours prior to sailing. Better to be safe than sorry.

Happy Cruising!:D

Make sure you wash your hand very carefully after handling them and/or applying them! If you rub your eyes with some of the medicine on your hands, it will dilate your pupils and your vision will be effected. (That happened to me!) :eek:

If a hurricane were to impact your port-of-calls, they will re-route to somewhere else. They will NOT sail into the storm!

Even if the seas are a bit rougher than normal, you shouldn't be "tossed about"!

The Captain does a great job of avoiding bad weather, when possible.

Just be prepared and know in advance that you may not make all of the ports you were scheduled for!

I sailed out of Galveston last November before Ida became a threat, we arrived in Cozumel to boarded up buildings. Left port that day just hours ahead of the hurricane. All the shows were canceled on the ship. No dancing was allowed. The top deck chairs were strapped down and the entire deck was closed off. The pools were empty from the rough water. Attendants, waiters, and guests alike were vomiting everywhere. It was not pleasant. We raced Ida home to Texas. It was rough.

Tropical Storm Floyd hit New Jersey in 1999. It was a hurricane before it arrived in New Jersey.

The un-named '38 storm was estimated as a strong class 3 / class 4

1964's Dora was a weak class three - but it washed over a Jones Beach parking lot / beach pavilion. It was decided only to repair the breach in the island, and not rebuild.

Later storms [e.g. Gloria and Floyd] were weak category 1, or had already started to dissipate. Gloria also dredged out the Shinicock Inlet - originally formed by the '38 storm.

There's lots of info available online [weather underground, accuweather, national weather service....]

Being on the ship is OK. Ships avoid hurricanes. However, if a hurricane hits your departure/arrival port, that could be a problem -- especially if you drove.

I heard many cruise passengers lost cars during hurricane Ike in Galveston two years ago.

Archived