Formal wear? 7 nite- Mexico- Oosterdam

WillK

Booked for Oct 22 and am wondering what is appropriate wear for the 2 formal nites? Should I bring or rent a tux or will a sport coat and tie suffice? Thanks- Will

Last month on the O'dam 40-50% of the men in the DR had a tux on for formal night, most of the rest chose a dark suit.

I agree! If you don't own a tux, I wouldn't go out and buy or rent, just wear a dark suit, white shirt, nice tie and dark shoes. A sports jacket will be more appropriate for informal nights.

My husband and father will have on their tux for formal nights in just a couple of weeks on the Oosterdam. :)

My DH and I like to travel light, and we have had good experiences with the tux rental service provided by the ship. You measure and order in advance and tux and 2 shirts are waiting for you in the stateroom when you board.

Beth

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I think the tux rental idea sounds great. This will be our second cruise and we're really excited. Our first was several months ago on Carnival. It was very reasonably priced so I didn't have any expectations. That said, it was like being at a week-long frat party. After we got back I did some research and we decided that HAL would be more in line with what we were looking for. The general theme in cruise guide books is that HAL caters to a more mature crowd. I see this as an asset! I'm 42 and my partner is 37. The idea of spending a week with a more mature crowd sounds awesome to me!:)

Cheers-Will

Booked for Oct 22 and am wondering what is appropriate wear for the 2 formal nites? Should I bring or rent a tux or will a sport coat and tie suffice? Thanks- Will

We are also booked on that cruise. First time for us, our friends are doing their second. We are celebrating our 30th anniversary, our friends their 25th. We got two SS suites. Lookig forward to it in 251 days, 2 hours, 28 minutes, 33 seconds, not as we are counting though! :)

Last week on the "Big O" I noted that about 50% of the men were wearing Tuxedos. Most of the rest where in dark suits. A few were in slacks, sports jacket, and tie.

If one doesn't own a Tux, I wouldn't bother renting one. If one plans on cruising a lot, a Tux is a worth-while investment. Otherwise, just take a nice black or dark suit and tie. You'll not feel out of place.

If one doesn't own a Tux, I wouldn't bother renting one. If one plans on cruising a lot, a Tux is a worth-while investment.

I agree with revneal. I am glad that I bought my tux 5 or 6 sailings ago. They are not that big an expense. You might check formal rental outlets, they sell them for less than men's wear or department stores.

There was a good thread about buying a tuxedo last year. You might like to read it at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=106139

Archived