Pre-cruise hotel in Rome from RCCL

Kugel

Royal Caribbean has given the option of Jolly Villas Cargegena in Rome for $178.59 pp including transfers to the port or Hotel Cicerone for $201.30 pp including transfers.

Has anyone ever stayed here? Or have a car service in Rome so I can do it all myself (probably more expensive that way). Only need 1 night.

Thanks.

That actually sounds like a decent price since it also includes the transfer.

Neither hotel is "central", but the Cicerone is closer in, as the higher price indicates.

If you plan to try and see a lot of Rome that day, you may want to go for the Cicerone. If you will be resting and getting over jet lag and only going into the city for dinner, I'd lean toward the Jolly.

We have been to Rome twice before so probably only would be interested in going out for lunch and dinner.

Have you stayed in either one? The reviews on Travel advisor left me thinking the A/C was an issue. One that is very important for us.

Thanks.

Royal Caribbean has given the option of Jolly Villas Cargegena in Rome for $178.59 pp including transfers to the port or Hotel Cicerone for $201.30 pp including transfers.

Has anyone ever stayed here? Or have a car service in Rome so I can do it all myself (probably more expensive that way). Only need 1 night.

Thanks.

I'm assuming this is for your Holy Lands cruise, right? Taking the date of April 28th:

The Jolly Hotel Villa Carpegna can be reserved on their website for 149, which is US$185 - as opposed to US$357.18 via RCI

The Hotel Cicerone can be reserved for 250, or US$318 - as opposed to US402.60 via RCI.

The savings are respectively US$172 and US$84.

I'm sure a car service could be had for that kind of ballpark, although I personally would be shopping around for other hotels, and taking the train to Civitavecchia.

Thank you for the info. Great. I don't think a train is an option for us as my husband would find it difficult with luggage to manuever. I will look into a private car although for 2 the prices seem quite high. I think for $84 for the two of us we will not be able to beat that price. I know there are better hotels and if seperate would not do thier hotels. Just thought for the one night it would be easier to have them take us from airport to hotel and then hotel to the port. The cost of a taxi would also have to be included if not going with the ship.

I would like to find someone who has actually stayed at the hotel.

Thank you so very much for the info though. It is very helpful

Thank you for the info. Great. I don't think a train is an option for us as my husband would find it difficult with luggage to manuever. I will look into a private car although for 2 the prices seem quite high. I think for $84 for the two of us we will not be able to beat that price. I know there are better hotels and if seperate would not do thier hotels. Just thought for the one night it would be easier to have them take us from airport to hotel and then hotel to the port. The cost of a taxi would also have to be included if not going with the ship.

I would like to find someone who has actually stayed at the hotel.

Thank you so very much for the info though. It is very helpful

There is no need to pay the high price with RCCL unless you would rather not worry about being independent. There are better hotels for less. Use this service for shuttle www.rome-airport-shuttle.com.

The difference on the room is just $84, the shuttle service you linked to charges 120E for transfers to the port so the OP has a better deal with RCCL.

Question to OP - does this also include your transfer from the airport to the hotel? Budget 40E for that as well.

There is no need to pay the high price with RCCL unless you would rather not worry about being independent. There are better hotels for less. Use this service for shuttle www.rome-airport-shuttle.com.

A taxi from the airport to the center of Rome ran us 40-45 euros..... for two people and a ton of luggage ;)

When taking a shuttle - remember that sometimes you must sit there and wait for it to fill up....... not exactly the way I want to start out my vacation in Rome !!!

It's also a trade off staying closer in....... more $$ but closer to the sites and less $$ spent on getting closer in....whether taxi or metro or ???

The difference on the room is just $84, the shuttle service you linked to charges 120E for transfers to the port so the OP has a better deal with RCCL.

Question to OP - does this also include your transfer from the airport to the hotel? Budget 40E for that as well.

Yes I believe they pick us up at the airport.

We have spent 5 days in Rome previously many years ago and saw everything. 2 years ago we took a driving tour of Rome. The sites for 1 day do not interest me. A nice lunch and dinner would especially in Italy.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Cicerone in May of 2006. It was a very nice hotel in a nice location. The breakfast was very nice. I honestly cannot remember anything about the air conditioning. We will be back again next May and will be staying at the Jolly Villa Carpegna. I read nice reviews on it and the price was quite reasonable through RCL. In fact, when I priced it through one of the popular websites it was more expensive. We also liked the fact it includes the transfers. The train is not an option for us either due to handling the luggage. I would definitely stay at the Cicerone again but liked the price much better for the Jolly.:)

We stayed at the Cicerone in May of 2006. It was a very nice hotel in a nice location. The breakfast was very nice. I honestly cannot remember anything about the air conditioning. We will be back again next May and will be staying at the Jolly Villa Carpegna. I read nice reviews on it and the price was quite reasonable through RCL. In fact, when I priced it through one of the popular websites it was more expensive. We also liked the fact it includes the transfers. The train is not an option for us either due to handling the luggage. I would definitely stay at the Cicerone again but liked the price much better for the Jolly.:)

Was there a good choice of restaurants in the area of the Cicerone? We just don't have enough time to warrant a city center hotel at 400 + and then add transportation.

Thanks so very much. See you are going on the Navigator. We are in November. Love that ship!

Since you mention eating <g> here is a great current review of several options:

http://elizabethminchilli.blogspot.com/2010/06/top-ten-favorite-restaurants-in-rome.html

Katie Parla is a wonderful guide and food expert based in Rome.

What a great website. Thank you for the link.

• 5 weeks later...

When we stayed at the Cicerone there were a couple restaurants within walking distance, about a block or two. I will have to check my scrapbook to see if I have the name of the one we loved. It was something like the Cupuola. We did that post cruise through Carnival and they recommend this restaurant. It was wonderful and such friendly people. Their calzones were fantastic! We ate there a couple different times. The hotel was really very nice.:)

Archived