Best time of yr. for Greek Isles

MagnoliaBlossom

Am planning our cruise to the Greek Isles. Know we do not want to go in the middle of summer, but which do you prefer - April/May or Sept/Oct. Thanks in advance. MB

Hi, MB! To be honest, the correct answer is . . . "YES". Both can work very, very well. Much depends on where you are from and what are your personal needs/interests. Some need that escape after a long winter. Others also do a great summer "event" and don't need something in the fall. Are you a football fan or not, etc. Do you get the challenge/idea on the various trade-offs and factors to consider.

With more detailed information and specifics from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests. What have been your past Europe travel experiences, likes and dislikes, etc.? What are seeking most to enjoy, see and do in the Greek Isles?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

we did the Greek Isles cruise on May 22 this year. I chose that particular time for several reasons; lower airfare, comfortable temperature (70-80), not too crowded since kids are still in school, spring flowers, and it's the start of the tourist season so vendors are energized instead of worn out. The crowds were greater than we expected but not overwhelming; I would choose that timeframe again in a heartbeat!

The only problem with shoulder seasons is that the weather is unpredictable. There were people on our ship who sailed the previous week as well and they said it rained most days. Same thing can happen in October.

Like I said, I would choose the end of May again in a heartbeat! That was my experience. Hope it helps.

The only problem with shoulder seasons is that the weather is unpredictable. Like I said, I would choose the end of May again in a heartbeat! That was my experience. Hope it helps.

THANKS for the good details and report from mapleleaves! With weather, nothing is certain or sure. The summer is more "predictable" in being warmer and more crowded. In late June, 2006, however, we did not have that big of crowds and heat in doing the Greeks Isles. Much depends on how many ships are in port when you visit there. At Mykonos on a Sunday, there were only two smaller ship there in port and it was wonderful. If there were three 2500-3000 passenger ships in port that day, it would have been a much different and lesser experience. Lots of variable to consider. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

Thanks for your help. Sorry I should have been more specific with my question. I live in Louisiana, so heat is a constant in our lives (along with mosquitos). We usually try to do our "big" cruise in the fall to reward oursevle for making it through anther long hot summer - any anyway, all the gardens are dead by then, but it's to warm to put in the fall garden yet :rolleyes:. Earlier this month we did our biggie cruise to the Baltics, only to be welcomed with the worst heat wave in 1,000 years! As someone said, the weather is totally unpredicable, and we know that.

We have found should season in Europe is a bit easier on the airfare (although I think that is evaporating) and less crowded. I'm always anxious to avoid the crowds if possible but it is a resort destination.

Didn't know if there were any quirky things in Greece, as in some parts of the med where i.e. the whole place pretty much shuts down in August.

Now, TLC, I just know you gotta have great photos lurking aroundn out there. OTC - (but it is my thread ;)) LTC, when we were in Baltics this month I thought of your photos so often, especially some of those difficult lighting situations like the Vasa.

Thanks, guys.

MB

Thanks for your help. Sorry I should have been more specific with my question. I live in Louisiana, so heat is a constant in our lives (along with mosquitos). Didn't know if there were any quirky things in Greece, as in some parts of the med where i.e. the whole place pretty much shuts down in August. Now, TLC, I just know you gotta have great photos lurking aroundn out there. OTC - (but it is my thread) Thanks, guys. MB

Hi, MB! THANKS for the added and very helpful info on your background. YES! Doing a fall cruise as a reward for surviving the summer heat can be good and smart. You should also try a Norway Coast/fjords cruise sometime in the summer to escape your southern heat. Below are some Greek Isles pictures that I have not posted previously. You were kind of, maybe, hinting that way. Right? Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

On Mykonos, here is a sampling of harbor, boats, blue and red church domes, etc., views. Lots of charm and character on this great Greek Island.:

MykonosHarborBoats2.jpg

MykonosDualDomesRedBlue.jpg

MykonosBoatDining.jpg

MykonosHarborBoats.jpg

On Patmos, here is a shore area with two nearby small islands.:

PatmosCoastIslands.jpg

On Milos, there is lots of church and religious history, including at this church.:

MilosChurchArches.jpg

See, I knew I could getcha' to post some photos ;) Thanks! Wow, that water is reeeaally blue! And I thought Hawaii had some blue water. Now, I'm really jazzed!

Glad I could "JAZZ" you up. YES, the waters are very, very blue there and extremely beautiful.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Terry my husband and I will be visiting Mykonos, Milos, and Patmos (among other places) on our upcoming Seabourn cruise in October so I really appreciate seeing some of your incredible pictures from these lovely islands! We have traveled fairly extensively but all of these destinations will be new to us. Our previous trips to Europe have all been in the spring or summer so we are looking forward to experiencing smaller crowds and cooler temperatures in the fall.

Sue

Archived