Train trip up or down the coast from Barcelona

TracyL

We will be doing a Mediterranean cruise out of Barcelona in 2011. We will arrive a few days early and I thought it would be fun to take a short train trip either up or down the coast. Does anyone have any recommendations for a fun place to go, I would prefer to keep the actually train ride to under 2 hours. We will want to do the round-trip the same day.

Sure, we have a place we really like that is less then an hour by train (South). Its the sea resort town of Sitges, which is a fun place if you just want a laid-back beach day. Everything in town is within easy walking distance, the beach is sandy and clean (as is the water) and there are lots of facilities, cafes, shops, etc. My only caution is that this resort town is very popular with European gays so if you are easily offended this is something to keep in mind. Trains run to and fro from Barcelona at least every hour (sometimes more often).

Hank

There are lots of towns you could visit within 2 hrs. by train but not all of them are along the coast. I don't think the train is a scenic coastal route. For day trips there's Girona, Figueres,Montserrat,Tarragona,and more.

BTW there is plenty to see and do IN Barcelona if you have never been there before. 3 days is not enough time to completely experience the city.

I agree with Hank. Sitges was a wonderful place to unwind for the day. It is a quick 40 min ride from Barcelona. The beach was beautiful, the water warm and clean and great restaurants right along the water. The train station to get there is on the Passeig di Gracia.

Tarragona ---was the Roman capital of the area and has lots of ruins

Girona--walled upscale city with a large cathedral and restored Jewish call(ghetto)

Figueres---Salvador Dali museum,

Montserrat---mountain with monastery/hiking /views

Would certainly agree with the positive comment on visiting Montserrat. The only reason we only mentioned specified Sitges is that the OP asked for trains along the coast. Going inland is an entirely different story :)

Hank

Much depends on what you are seeking and need. Montserrat is more about history, culture, religion, etc. Here is where you can get added info on this option, how to get there, etc.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Montserrat_(Spain)

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/montserratspain/

They note that this monastery is Catalonia's most important religious retreat. Many make overnight hikes at least once in their lives to watch the sunrise from the heights of Montserrat. At 4055 feet above the valley floor, Montserrat is the highest point of the Catalan lowlands and stands central to the most populated part of Catalonia.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I've been exploring the a little and realized that Valencia is only a little over 3 hours by train. I would love to tour the Lladro factory. Has anyone done that? My husband has even agreed to doing it.

Are you thinking of this six-hour, plus trip down and back all in one day?

Per

http://www.valenciavalencia.com/sights-guide/museums-listings/lladro.htm

http://www.lladro.com

you will have another hour or so in your logistics getting up to their plant on the edge of town and back, etc.

It sounds interesting, but is that visit worth that much time, cost and effort? I haven't been there, but I was just raising the question.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

The trip doesn't bother me, I do a lot of traveling and 6 hours in one day on a train is nothing. If we decide to do it, I'll probably just add an extra day to our trip. I had a cousin that toured the factory probably around 30 years ago, I've always thought it sounded like a lot of fun. I don't know if we will do it for sure, however, I'm going to seriously think about it.

I've been exploring the a little and realized that Valencia is only a little over 3 hours by train. I would love to tour the Lladro factory. Has anyone done that? My husband has even agreed to doing it.

Yes, you can get the train to Valencia but it is not a scenic ride along the coast. Most of the time it is inland.

Valencia is just 100 miles from where we live but I have not been to the Lladro factory yet.

I think I've about talked myself out of the factory trip. It would be over $200 round trip for the two of us. I usually buy one really nice thing on our vacations and I'm thinking of a Lladro this time. If we skip the factory tour, that gives us $200 more towards the actual Lladro. Of course we have a year to go, so I could change my mind another 100 times or so.:D

Around ten years ago we visited Port Adventura on a day trip from Barcelona and I could have sworn the train went along the coast not that I am suggesting Port Adventura as the day out unless it is to take children but I thought that past Sitges we went along the coast. Which I would assume would be the same journey for Tarragona or Cambrils.

Around ten years ago we visited Port Adventura on a day trip from Barcelona and I could have sworn the train went along the coast not that I am suggesting Port Adventura as the day out unless it is to take children but I thought that past Sitges we went along the coast. Which I would assume would be the same journey for Tarragona or Cambrils.

The train from Barcelona runs NEAR the coast - not scenic coastal until Tarragona (less than half way). It then goes inland until Valencia. Not a scenic ride at all

We live in Alicante and when we go to Barcelona by train we go through Valencia.

Archived