Opposition to the Master Chef's Dinner?

tkq

We opted to skip it, mainly because it goes on too long. We ate in the PG. We started at 6pm (the MCD started at 5:30) and were walking out at 7:15. The MCD was still going on. I just can't get my DH to sit that long...

I don't have a love it or hate it opinion. I have never experienced it. I just chose not to lose so much of my final evening on such a limited menu.:)

Category 4: We really enjoyed it the first couple of times. Now if we eat elsewhere (lido) we don't miss it and if we choose to attend we still enjoy it.
Most new-to-HAL tablemates seem to really enjoy it. Friends went on an Alaskan cruise recently and that was one of the things they mentioned as really enjoying.

[quote name='Pennypocket'] .......I just wish there was still one line that had thegumption to sell only to the few of us that enjoy the more formal things in life. Got to run, buttons has chimed for early coktails before heading out to a concert.

Cheers and by the way I am not a she but a he who wears tiesd
and jackets with joy not dread and has never owned a pair of jeans but can still out dance 95% of you and have a great time sans wifebeater "t"s/[/QUOTE]

We found that old-fashion tradition of dining formality on the MV Discovery since it attracts mainly British and former Commonwealth passengers who come for its enrichment offerings rather than superficial cruising thrills. These are travellers, not tourists on this ship. And if they are tourists, they learn quickly and sadly they made big mistake.

People on the MV Discovery dress for dinner not because they have to, but because they want to. The ship is small and old and has far more functionality than glamour, but oh, the places you will see ........

[quote name='eroller']Lighten up people! I think some people are taking this far too seriously. Bottom line ... some people like the experience and some don't. Those that don't have alternative dining options available to them.

Ernie[/QUOTE]

I so agree..thanks for a 'voice of reason'! :)

[quote name='SwissMyst']We found that old-fashion tradition of dining formality on the MV Discovery since it attracts mainly British and former Commonwealth passengers who come for its enrichment offerings rather than superficial cruising thrills. These are travellers, not tourists on this ship. And if they are tourists, they learn quickly and sadly they made big mistake.

People on the MV Discovery dress for dinner not because they have to, but because they want to. The ship is small and old and has far more functionality than glamour, but oh, the places you will see ........[/QUOTE]

Please tell us more....sounds great!

I don't paticularly care for it!

But I Agree that i this is your first cruise, try it and you be the judge to see if you like it or not.

The only thing you need to remember is that if you have open seating, opening seating is not available on Master Chef night and you have to make a reservation for early or late seating.

[quote name='cruisecrasy']Please tell us more....sounds great![/QUOTE]

[url]http://us.voyagesofdiscovery.com/[/url]
There are MV Discovery discussions on "Other Cruise Lines" on Cruise Critic message boards and there are member reviews under its name as well with more detailed reports. I posted a photo link on "Other Cruise Lines" so you can see what it is really like compared to what the brochure makes you think it look like.

Sorry I don't have any evening dinner photos showing the nice level of formality, but formal nights were dominated by black tie and even "casual" dinners brought out the extra sparkles for this more mature dining crowd.

This cruise line obviously costs more than most HAL offerings because it is a smaller ship -more like the Prinsendam but not as well finished and cabins are quite compact. There is little about the MV Discovery one would call deluxe though it does have some suites that might reach the level of a good HAL cabin, but most are just plain adequate and functional.

But it offers some superb itinerary options when you want to try something off the more beaten path from what the main line cruise lines offer. Again, maybe the best is to compare it to the Prinsendam, and see what might best meet your wishes.

One chooses the MV Discovery to simply get you there, not excessively pamper you or entertain you while you do. Kind of like those bumper stickers that claim "My other car is ....... an XYZ...... Well, our "other cruise line than HAL is the MV Discovery. And there were lots of HAL fans on this ship too when they choose more main line cruising.

[quote name='SwissMyst']We found that old-fashion tradition of dining formality on the MV Discovery since it attracts mainly British and former Commonwealth passengers who come for its enrichment offerings rather than superficial cruising thrills. These are travellers, not tourists on this ship. And if they are tourists, they learn quickly and sadly they made big mistake.

People on the MV Discovery dress for dinner not because they have to, but because they want to. The ship is small and old and has far more functionality than glamour, but oh, the places you will see ........[/quote]
The Commonwealth is not "former" It is still alive and well, Canada being a member.

[quote name='SwissMyst']I wonder if this institution was started back when individual tips were given out and it was used as a way to showcase the dining staff and let them show their appreciation for the diners.[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]No, that happened the other way around. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]The history of the end of "Tipping not required" and the introduction of the Master Chef's Dinner was in that order. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Optional service charges, instead of leaving tipping up to the individual passenger, started in 2003. I didn't see the Master Chef's Dinner until 2006. And yes, I cruised at least once a year all through that decade. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]No, that happened the other way around. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]The history of the end of "Tipping not required" and the introduction of the Master Chef's Dinner was in that order. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Optional service charges, instead of leaving tipping up to the individual passenger, started in 2003. I didn't see the Master Chef's Dinner until 2006. And yes, I cruised at least once a year all through that decade. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Good to learn this. Thanks for the history. Maybe easy come, easy go since this is not an entrenched HAL tradition. Seems to need a make-over.

I like the idea of some sort of farewell activity, song, dessert, something that wraps it all up, but does not draw it out as long as the entire MCD does. Okay HAL, you have only been playing with us for a few years. How about a fresh approach to saying good by to your wonderful staff and our times together?

I'll settle for sparklers in the baked alaska, but I can see by taking the dining options away from us we all finish our courses at the same time so the "dessert" presentation has the maximum full benefit. Hmmm, gotta work on this and its communal timing. Maybe just less fuss with each course and ditch the chef hats.

Archived