New Kindle Wi-Fi....I can put all my cruise info on it!

I received the new 3rd generation of the Kindle and choose the Wi-Fi version.

In planning our cruises I surf the webs, find sites about ports, shopping, private excursions and place any information I want into a word document or save the PDF to my computer along with our itinerary, any lists of things to do or buy before the trip, airline, and hotel info.

I can now have all my documents at my fingertips because I can put them on the Kindle! I am so happy I will not have to sort through page after page of paper.

Lin

I can do that on my Kindle 2. You set up an email address for yourself and just email whatever documents you want to your Kindle in a PDF. I received a contract by email why I was away on a weekend. I was able to forward the email from my blackberry to my Kindle and then read it there rather than trying to read it on my Blackberry! Nice!

One thing I didn't know about the new Kindle is that if you send your documents to "...@free.kindle.com" it will be automatically delivered to the Kindle if WiFi is on. With the earlier Kindles the free address only delivered it to your Amazon account and you had to load it into the Kindle with the USB cable.

One thing I didn't know about the new Kindle is that if you send your documents to "...@free.kindle.com" it will be automatically delivered to the Kindle if WiFi is on. With the earlier Kindles the free address only delivered it to your Amazon account and you had to load it into the Kindle with the USB cable.

i don't know how new you are talking but I can email things through my Amazon account and they will download onto my Kindle. I have never plugged by Kindle in. I got my early this spring. Mine does not have wi-fi on it.

I received the new 3rd generation of the Kindle and choose the Wi-Fi version.

In planning our cruises I surf the webs, find sites about ports, shopping, private excursions and place any information I want into a word document or save the PDF to my computer along with our itinerary, any lists of things to do or buy before the trip, airline, and hotel info.

I can now have all my documents at my fingertips because I can put them on the Kindle! I am so happy I will not have to sort through page after page of paper.

Lin

Hi Lin,

I'm looking to order the Kindle , but dithering between the $139.00 and the $189.00. Which one did you get?

thanks for your input.

Jo

I have the Nook and love it. It's amazing all the things it can do! Now I want an iPad! Somebody help me! It's a technology addiction!!! :p
I love my iPad. So does my daughter. She "borrowed" it for almost a month so she could use it for her Masters reading. I've got it back now for my trip and I'll be able to do everything the Kindle does, and a lot more, including reading my Kindle Amazon books. I can also open and read any Microsoft Word or Excel document; it doesn't have to be in pdf formal.

No, my emails are automatically sent to my Kindle 2 when it is turned on. I don't have to log onto Amazon or use a USB cable????:confused: And my Kindle email address is ******@kindle.com- not freekindle.com

Come on, folks, does no one read any more? :rolleyes:

You can transfer personal documents by emailing them to "name"@kindle.com, but it's not free. You can transfer for free my mailing them to "name"@free.kindle.com but until the Kindle 3 you needed to transfer them to the Kindle with a USB cable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200375630fees

Fees for Personal Document Service

Fees for transfer of personal documents to the Kindle via Whispernet are based on the size of the file submitted (before compression if you use a .zip file), your country, and where you're accessing Whispernet. Fees will only be charged for documents that are successfully received wirelessly to your Kindle. (Personal Document Service is not available via Whispernet in Canada. Please see Sending Personal Documents to Kindle for information about e-mailing personal documents to your computer for USB transfer to your Kindle.)

Kindle (U.S. Wireless) user: We'll send personal documents to your Kindle via Whispernet while inside the U.S. wireless coverage area for a fee of $.15 per megabyte.

Kindle (Free 3G) user living in the United States: If you transfer personal documents to your Kindle via Whispernet while inside the United States, the fee is $ .15 per megabyte. When traveling outside the United States, a fee of $.99 per megabyte will apply.

Kindle (Free 3G) user living outside the United States: We'll send personal files to your Kindle via Whispernet for a fee of $ .99 (USD) per megabyte anywhere in the world you access Whispernet service.

Fees are rounded up to the next whole MB and apply to each personal document delivered via Whispernet to each Kindle. You can transfer personal documents to your Kindle via USB for free at anytime.

Free Transfer of Personal Documents

If you would like to transfer your personal documents to your Kindle for free, you can send attachments to "name"@free.kindle.com to be converted and e-mailed to your computer at the e-mail address associated with your Amazon.com account log-in. You can then transfer the document to your Kindle using your USB connection.

For example, if your Kindle email address is Jay@Kindle.com, send your attachments to Jay@free.kindle.com.

The new WiFi feature is that documents sent to you@free.kindle.com are transmitted over WiFi with no Whispernet charges.

They also say they may let charges of up to $5 accumulate and then charge the whole amount.

I love my iPad. So does my daughter. She "borrowed" it for almost a month so she could use it for her Masters reading. I've got it back now for my trip and I'll be able to do everything the Kindle does, and a lot more, including reading my Kindle Amazon books. I can also open and read any Microsoft Word or Excel document; it doesn't have to be in pdf formal.

How nice! Once I got the Nook, I realized I should've just bought an iPad (or similar) for the additional functions. Live and learn...I guess that's how these tech companies make money! :cool:

How nice! Once I got the Nook, I realized I should've just bought an iPad (or similar) for the additional functions. Live and learn...I guess that's how these tech companies make money! :cool:

I don't think it's a choice of one or the other. I would love to have both, I have a Kindle on order and am considering the Ipad for Christmas. E-books are better for reading for long periods of time, the glare of the Ipad and backlighting make the Ipad less easy to use for long periods of reading, especially outside.

I work with a couple of kids who have both, so I have tried them all out. I selected the Kindle over the Nook, I just liked it better.

For travel I don't really need to use the internet, but the Ipad would be graet to load my movies, music and download pics. I would use it to supplement my home computer while at home.

I can open & read any MSWord document on my Kindle - it doesn't have to be in PDF format, either. (Excel would have to be converted, though)

However, there's a few things the Kindle does, and does *very, very well*, that your iPad can't. I can sit on the deck or on my balcony in full sunlight and read for hours. Can't do that on the iPad - if you could use it in sunlight (you can't - glare issues) it still has a propensity to overheat.

I can read forever without getting eye strain or a headache. I can't do that on the iPad.

I can read for a month or so without ever plugging it in. Can't do that with an iPad.

I can throw it in my purse and take it with me everywhere, because it's small and weighs next to nothing. I can't do that with an iPad, either.

If you're looking for a passable multi-function device, the iPad is ok (until the Android tablets start coming out, then the iPad is going to have stiff competition). If you're looking for something where reading is the primary function, an e-ink device is the only choice. And IMO, the Kindle is the best e-ink device available.

I don't think it's a choice of one or the other. I would love to have both, I have a Kindle on order and am considering the Ipad for Christmas. E-books are better for reading for long periods of time, the glare of the Ipad and backlighting make the Ipad less easy to use for long periods of reading, especially outside.

I work with a couple of kids who have both, so I have tried them all out. I selected the Kindle over the Nook, I just liked it better.

For travel I don't really need to use the internet, but the Ipad would be graet to load my movies, music and download pics. I would use it to supplement my home computer while at home.

Interesting! Your comments and Jobeth's are very interesting. Maybe I'll wait on the iPad (or preferably the Android). Thanks for the information.

Come on, folks, does no one read any more? :rolleyes:

You can transfer personal documents by emailing them to "name"@kindle.com, but it's not free. You can transfer for free my mailing them to "name"@free.kindle.com but until the Kindle 3 you needed to transfer them to the Kindle with a USB cable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200375630fees

The new WiFi feature is that documents sent to you@free.kindle.com are transmitted over WiFi with no Whispernet charges.

They also say they may let charges of up to $5 accumulate and then charge the whole amount.

I have received over 50 emails most with attachments on my Kindle 2. I have never been charged?:confused:

Interesting! Your comments and Jobeth's are very interesting. Maybe I'll wait on the iPad (or preferably the Android). Thanks for the information.

I recommend keeping an eye on the Notion Ink Adam (http://www.notionink.in).

It's going to have the best of both worlds, as you'll be able to get their top-end version with a Pixel Qi screen. The Pixel Qi screen allows you to switch from a backlit LCD-type screen to a non-backlit transflexive e-ink screen. (http://www.pixelqi.com). I've been watching this since CES last year, and it looks like we're on track for a Q4 2010 or Q1 2011 launch. It'll still suffer from the weight issue - weight is approximately the same as the iPad. However, the top-of-the-line 32G version with everything will be cheaper than the bottom-end 16G WiFi only iPad.

Hi Lin,

I'm looking to order the Kindle , but dithering between the $139.00 and the $189.00. Which one did you get?

thanks for your input.

Jo

Hi Jo,

I got the $139.00 Wi-Fi only version. Anywhere you go, you can find a free Wi-Fi connection. I have wi-fi at my house so I can upload at home, work, airports, hotels etc. It is so easy!

Archived