Step by Step from ship to St Mark's Square

flgirl543

We'll be on the Brilliance of the Seas in October and would like a simple step by step on how to get from the port to St. Mark's Square. Should we take the People Mover to Piazzale Roma and then board the vaparetto to St. Mark's Square?

If you use the people mover to get to Piazzale Roma, another option is to walk to St. Mark's Square (25-30 minutes depending on the route and speed). It's quite interesting and you can vary the route there and back to take in different sights along the way.

Some cruise lines participate in a Vaporetto Shuttle that runs directly from the Pier to S. Marco every half-hour. Oct '09 Princess charged $15pp for unlimited shuttle rides (back and forth) for the whole day and I know the shuttle was shared by Pax from other cruise ships in Port that day. They will announce it on the ship if there is a shuttle. The shuttle does not use the Grand Canal and the Vaporetto Transit Pass cannot be used on the shuttle.

We'll be on the Brilliance of the Seas in October and would like a simple step by step on how to get from the port to St. Mark's Square. Should we take the People Mover to Piazzale Roma and then board the vaparetto to St. Mark's Square?

The simplest way is the direct non-stop Alilaguna M line from the port to St. mark's. http://WWW.alilaguna.it You want the M route 6.5 E one way 12 E return Leaves port every 30 minutes from 8:30 to 4:00 returns from St. Mark's9:10 to 4:30 I would do the No 1 or No 2 Vaporetto, people mover in the other direction simly to have a mini cruise along the Grand canal.

Some cruise lines participate in a Vaporetto Shuttle that runs directly from the Pier to S. Marco every half-hour. Oct '09 Princess charged $15pp for unlimited shuttle rides (back and forth) for the whole day and I know the shuttle was shared by Pax from other cruise ships in Port that day. They will announce it on the ship if there is a shuttle. The shuttle does not use the Grand Canal and the Vaporetto Transit Pass cannot be used on the shuttle.

Carnival participates, too.

One thing I noticed last year however, was that there were nine cruise ships in Venice when we were (4 biggies[including the Dream]) at the port and others (Smaller, like Silversea and a big RCL) along the main thoroughfare which intersects with Grand Canal. It's hard to know if you ship will be at the port.

All these options are fine, but if you are in port overnight (or even for a long day) you might want to simply make your way to the Piazale Roma and purchase a vaporetto 24, 36 or 48 hour pass. The transportation in Venice is not cheap (a single vaporetto or Alilgunia ride costs 6.5 Euros one-way_. If you plan on using the vaporettos for more then 2 rides (you can use them to go to other parts of Venice, Lido, Murano, Burano, etc) it makes sense to get a pass. Now that the people mover is working it even makes more sense.

Hank

Thank you for the information and tips. I think we'll probably take the Alilgunia going and vaporetto returning as suggested. Since we won't be using the vaporetto other then to get to San Marco and return, I don't think purchasing the pass would be of any benefit.

If you are lucky, like we were last September on the Brilliance of the Seas, you will be docked about 5 minutes walk from Piazza San Marco. The ship isn't always docked there but occasionally it is. We could look right out on the piazza and go back and forth all day and night. It was great!

Archived