wine in checked or carry on?

SmogMonster

Got a question...If you decide to bring one bottle of wine per person, are you supposed to put it in your carry on or can you put it in your checked baggage?

Any one ever tried to get two bottles on, one in checked and one in carry on? Also, anyone ever tried to put their liquer in a wine bottle? I am thinking of getting some rum on board that way.

My cruise doesn't come till 10/14, but from everything I have read on the CC website and everything I have researched about it on here, you can take 12 cans/bottles of soda or water and 1 bottle on wine per person and you HAVE to take it in your carry-on (vessel needs to be 12x12x12 or close to it). If you try and take liquor on, either carry-on or checked, they will take it and tell you that you will get it back at the end of your cruise.

My cruise doesn't come till 10/14, but from everything I have read on the CC website and everything I have researched about it on here, you can take 12 cans/bottles of soda or water and 1 bottle on wine per person and you HAVE to take it in your carry-on (vessel needs to be 12x12x12 or close to it). If you try and take liquor on, either carry-on or checked, they will take it and tell you that you will get it back at the end of your cruise.

Its only coolers that cant be larger than 12 x 12 x 12 ..your carry on can be regular carry on size.

I think it depends on the port, to some degree. Florida ports were last year getting very strict about this, according to CC. We used the one carry on, one packed, several times with no problem. We also simply taped up the Wines dot com box and had it delivered to the room. We don't bring anything else but we usually do have a bit more than our allowed single bottle per of wine.

ok, thanks for the info. Anyone had any luck replacing the wine in the bottle with some other liquer? Or do they check to make sure it is sealed?

From memory (and I was not watching because the two wine bottles for my wife and I were actually sealed) they did not check to see if the cork had been removed. Then again the bags have to go through an x ray machine, probably can see the cork there?? I do remember my wife also had a bottle of water and the seal was broken and they did do a little "test" on that.... just purified water. I am guessing that if the bottles look as though they have been opened then they will check, but then that is just me assuming.

Two questions:

For those of you that have sailed out of Port Canaveral recently, and sorry I know this has been on here before, but has anyone carried a large bottle of wine or a box type thing of wine and had any problems carrying it on? Next, did I understand the wine.com box mentioned before in this thread was checked in box with porters?

Thanks!

I'm bringing a bottle of wine on Glory this week, but I'd like to wrap it in bubble wrap so it doesn't bang into other stuff in my carry-on. Anyone have a problem doing that - do they make you unwrap it?

On our recent sailing, one person carried all four bottles of wine in their carry on- the carry on was never opened or examined in any way and they were never questioned as to why they had four bottles- there were four of us sailing but there was no way for the security person to know that.

So I doubt they are going to ask you to unwrap a bottle.

In our experience, when we've carried on wine, they have gone into our bag and inspected it. I wouldn't try to smuggle any contraband in carry on luggage. That said, we usually pack a suitcase almost entirely filled with liquids in checked luggage and, so far, we are undefeated, 10-0. Rumors are that they've gotten stricter on this lately, but it's not gonna stop me from trying. Worst case is they babysit my beer for me for a week and give it back to me at the end of the cruise. Anything they take will be returned to you after the cruise as long as it's unopened. I am local to the cruise embarkation port, so it's nothing to have to bring a case of beer back home with me. Ports of call are a different story. As I posted in another thread, you can easily carry 6 or 12 beers on and they don't take it from you. You can also get liquor on if you're creative. As others have said, pour it into water bottles. I have bought a couple 250 ml bottles in port and put one in each pocket and walked right on. Even if you have big bottles, they will scan your bag and tell you to stop at the booze table, which is like 20 feet away, to have it held for you to be delivered to your room on the last night. You then walk right past that table if you're feeling bold, or stop and surrender 1 bottle while keeping another in your beach bag. It's not rocket science..

Got a question...If you decide to bring one bottle of wine per person, are you supposed to put it in your carry on or can you put it in your checked baggage?

Any one ever tried to get two bottles on, one in checked and one in carry on? Also, anyone ever tried to put their liquer in a wine bottle? I am thinking of getting some rum on board that way.

Hey neighbor, how are you doing. We took our alloted two bottles in the carry on in May and the wine was confiscated on the ship and returned to us the last night of the cruise. When I told security these were our two allowable bottles, they told me that the allowable bottles are to be in the carry on only. This was at the port of Miami and on the Glory. We had others in our group that somehow smuggled wine onboard but we got ours confiscated. If I were you, I would put my wine in the carry on. The second question is about putting liquor in wine bottles. I have never brought a previously opened bottle with us, but I would imagine that an already uncorked bottle would not pass through security.:) Good luck.

I too am a frequent liquor / wine 'sneaker-on-er'. My cruise in October will be #15 for me and I usually travel out of New Orleans. I will put 2 to 4 small bottles of vodka in my suitcase along with tons of cute little airline bottles of something. I will also put in a box of wine. So far, (knock on wood) never had anything missing or broken! Oh, and then I always carry my and my husbands bottles of wine in my carry-on.

I have also bought a bottle in cozumel and the gentleman behind the counter suggested I purchase a bottle of Sprite and drink it and he will help me refill it with his handy-dandy funnel. I ended up passing and opted to carry it on board. I lucked out and came on board behind a ton of people with liquor to check and it was practically impossible to make my way over there, so we just played dumb (well 'play' may be a strong word) and kept trucking right on to our room.

I also go on board with a bag of limes and my favorite mixing soda.

I hope Galveston will not be a strict port, because I plan on doing the same thing in 47 days.

You can bring one bottle of wine per 21 yrs old or older, and it goes in your carry on...we were on the dream recently and had no problems at all, we did hear someone who was told "put it in your carryon or the might lose it" I think its been quite clear that it goes in carryon, but some still get it in checked, I follow most rules and I wouldnt want my clothes to get wet before we have left port :)

Just off the Splendor 8/29. DF had 1 carry on bottle of wine, no prob. I packed 1 special bottle in checked luggage for her b/d surprise. It was confiscated!:mad: I explained (twice) about the situation to no avail. Someone suggested i talk to cd John Heald, but it's the rule.

The person @ the purser desk said the new policy started in Jan. & i told them i had wine on ck. luggage both in Jan & April with no problem. I guess it was the luck of the draw.

Thanks everyone.

They would probably notice if a cork was partially out but you can buy wines (Cheap of course) that have screw on tops. With these types of bottles, they probably wouldnt notice that the bottle had been opened, wine taken out and replaced with something else.

I'll try it on our December cruise and let you know how it works out.

ok, thanks for the info. Anyone had any luck replacing the wine in the bottle with some other liquer? Or do they check to make sure it is sealed?

I've done it before. Just get a wine bottle with real cork in the top (I used a dark bottle). Boil it for 5-10 minutes before trying to put it back in the bottle...it softens the cork and makes it more pliable/easier to put back in the bottle.

They also make shrink wrap for wine bottles for people who make their own wine. If you really want to make it look like it's unopened.

Carnival Secuity took all of our wine that we had in our checked luggage out of our checked luggage before they delivered the bags to our room. (One of us had to go down to security to unlock their bag so that they could take it out.) They left a note saying that they would give it back to us on the last night of the cruise.....which they did. The note also said that if your bottle was unsealed you would not get it back. I did however carry 2x's 750ml bottles of wine in my carry on with no problem.

If they do take your wine, please do not leave it for your room stewart or any crew. To me, you will be feeding the problem and the crew with party with your wine and all the other wine that no one wanted to take home the whole next week! Give it to your van driver or the check-in agent at the airport. That's what we did. I never saw such a happy agent in my life.

Archived