Honolulu bus system?

Kylie

Has anyone used the bus system in Honolulu to get around. I heard it is very easy. Does anyone know of a map and prices? We are debating about renting a car or just using the bus.

They have a very good bus system, here is a link to their page, scroll down to Visitors and y'll see that you can buy a pass and you can see what attractions to go to and which route.

http://www.thebus.org/default.asp

We use it all of the time - have gone from Waikiki to Chinatown, Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, restaurants, etc. I find their customer service number to be excellent - I just dial the Routes & Schedules number at (808) 848-5555. I give them my location, where I want to go, and they tell me exactly where to catch the bus and when it will be at the stop. The number is answered by people from 5:30 am - 10:00 pm HST.

We only rent a car when there are places we want to go to that are not easily reached by The Bus. Then, we pick up the car in the morning and return it at night so we can avoid the high parking prices - finding a free parking space in Waikiki is possible, but a major challenge.

I heard that there is a bus and a trolley that picks up outside the HHV. Are these the same thing or different? We would be interested in going to the main Waikiki shopping district. Specifically, DH wants to go to Bailey's for his Hawaiian shirts and walking more than a half mile would not be an option.

Bus service in Honolulu, Oahu, and Waikiki is GREAT! We have been to Hawaii 10 times (#11 coming up in January) and have NEVER rented a car. Easy to go from HHV to Ala Moana shopping center, as all of the buses leading out of Waikiki go to Ala Moana, especially since it is a major transfer point for other bus lines.

http://www.TheBus.org

Fare is $2.25, unless you are a senior with a Medicare card, and then it is $1.00. You also get a transfer if you want to take another bus within 1-2 hours.

Buses are clean, on-time, and very efficient. Great way to get around on Oahu!

Archived