Burano question

fllchick

There are pretty houses of different colors but nothing to "do".

It is a small quiet island. One could visit the oldest church in the lagoon across the small inlet on Torcello. It has great mosaics and then come back to Burano for lunch but for spending only 2 days IN Venice I think there is more to see/do IN Venice itself.

Burano is a beautiful island to visit. Our first visit was for about 45-60 minutes. We are going back in about 4 weeks for a longer stay. They have a church bell tower that leans as much (if not more) than the tower of Pisa.

DW and I love to go out to Burano (we always make a visit whenever we are in Venice) and really have no interest in lace (which can also be found just about everywhere in Venice). To us, Burano provides a nice respite from the over trouisty hustle and bustle of Venice. Burano is predominantly a residential island that also has a reasonble amount of shops, cafes, and restaurants (some of these are quite good). Since we generally have a multi-day vaporetto pass it costs us nothing to take the long ride out to Burano and its always fun to travel across the lagoon. Our usual schedule will have us on Burano for a nice lunch or dinner. However, for the cruiser who is only in Venice for one day we would probably advise them to think about spending their time in Venice since there is a lot to see. Going to Burano will take several hours....and many short-time visitors may not want to spend the time.

Hank

Its such a nice break from the touristy areas of Venice...quaint houses,good restaurants, cute shops,,,for lace or homemade articles....and people were so friendly....PS...I did buy lace for my mom and she said it was very well made,,,,so nice gifts..even if not your thing...I say go for it,if you can, will enjoy it....:)

Its such a nice break from the touristy areas of Venice...quaint houses,good restaurants, cute shops,,,for lace or homemade articles....and people were so friendly....PS...I did buy lace for my mom and she said it was very well made,,,,so nice gifts..even if not your thing...I say go for it,if you can, will enjoy it....:)

I agree. I love Burano as it is so charming with all the many colors houses.We had a 3 day vaporetto pass and really enjoyed the quiet time there and the beautiful boat ride. We styopped at Murano too. Thought it was a great break from hectic Venice and we had a wonderful seafood dinner there.

Torcello, which is an island you can get to from Burano, contains a very old church and the island itself will give you an idea of what Venice was like in the past, before it became a bustling city and republic. We have three and a half days in Venice before our cruise leaves and plan to spend one day going to Torcello to see the church as well as stopping in Burano and possibly Murano.

If you like history like me, you will probably not want to miss Torcello. Since one has to go to Burano to catch the boat to Torcello, I figured it would be nice to relax in a quiet neighborhood. I am not really into lace either but the pictures of the colorful houses look beautiful.

If you bought a 2-3day Vaporetto pass you can leave from your hotel and spend the day visiting Murano, Burano, Lido etc.. (stops at several places)...then back to San Marco for an evening stroll thru the winding streets and alleys to your hotel. It is a nice break from the hustle and bustle. I found that Venice is a place to wander...we stumbled upon a most beautiful concert in a church one nite after dinner, and a great antique market another day.

Archived