Any-one having problems booking drinks package with Barcelona sailing?

Tudorcruisers

On the Constellation from the 11th September from BCN, tried to pre book the drinks to and its saying the same for me. Although it shows you what drinks are included in each package, it isn't showing you the price or allowing you to purchase. Will give Celebrity a call tomorrow.......

Really looking forward to seeing the new "Solcitised" Connie!

You can book it on-board and may want to as there is supposedly a tax that the Spanish government charge on the drink packages you can search on the subject, have seen other threads. I think the recommendation is to buy it the second day and avoid the tax.

Hi,

We sail on 2nd Oct on Connie from Barcelona, and I've been trying to book drinks packages online for a few weeks now without success.

I rang Celebrity last week and was told that it wasn't possible to book drinks packages or spa treatments, or speciality restaurants for any departures from a Spanish port. I was advised to book once on board.

Hope that helps

Heather

We are also struggling to book anything online.

I called my Travel agent who said it was a website glitch "try again nearer the cruise"....its getting pretty close...11Sept 2010 is not far away and still getting the same error message on the Celebrity Cruise site.

I have written/emailed Celebrity (in Norway & UK) and still no reply either. I'd recommend everyone sailing from Barcelona to also write to celebrity via their contact email numbers. It is simply unacceptable to keep the customer "in the dark" like this.

If there is a Spanish tax issue, the cruise line should declare this to all its customers a) to put our minds at ease b) so we know what to expect.

I'd say they should declare this "snafu" in their ebrochures and literature as for me being able to book things ahead of time and online was one of the reasons I selected celebrity. Its a selling point, that should be explained is not available from Spanish ports (did I miss that somewhere?)

Perhaps others understand this "tax" issue and can explain it or post a link to info re it? HOw much is the added tax penalty?

Is the situation that I have to decide whether to pay the extra spanish tax on top or take the drinks package on day 2 at sea and only use 6 days of the 7 days I would be paying for (thats about 50dollars wasted for premium drinkls package right?).

I believe I read somehwere on the Celebrity website that the drinkpackage is for a min of 7days only (7x the daily amount with no shorter periods allowed).

So if someone could enlighten me to the "spanish fee" added at day 1, I can decide which is the best route to go.

Thank you...and I do feel Celebrity are being extremely unfair to basically "hide" this.:mad:

I would only be guessing but would assume that they do not have a simple way to collect and remit the tax to the government of Spain so figure it is easier to just not allow on-line purchase. There is really no advantage to buying before hand it is not like they will run out of alcohol or anything like that. One would assume that you could theoretically purchase the package directly after they sailed away from the port. :p

I has been reported on other threads that for all sailings that "overnight" in Spain it is not possible to pre-purchase the drinks packages because of the recent Spainish requirement to charge VAT on purchases. "Overnight" appears to be a technicality as it does not apply to the TA starting in Barcelona but visits a number of ports in Spain. It is unlikely to be popular if Celebrity has to charge VAT on a package which is primarily consumed outside the zone requiring the tax and this is probably why they have decided not to sell the packages in advance.

Sue

This was the most recent response I had from Celebrity!

""It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify all travel charges and government taxes that will be incurred on their cruise vacation.

Celebrity Cruises has the right to comply with any orders, recommendations, or directions whatsoever given by any governmental entity or by persons purporting to act with such authority and such compliance shall not be deemed a breach of Contract.

Passengers shall be liable to Celebrity Cruises for any fines or penalties imposed on the ship or company by local governmental laws or regulations, including requirements relating to immigration, customs or excise.(huh???)

Guests will not be allowed to pre-purchase specialty restaurant reservations or beverage packages as the online prices are set and do not add the value added tax.

We will not allow guests to book specialty dining or beverage packages if they are sailing out of Barcelona, Spain.""

Project Gal, I think they refer to cruises that start and return to Spain (Barcelona).

I found them, in the main, less than helpful in clarifying this issue. They don't seem sure themselves.There have been several useful answers on this site- pity that X don't read them!

Hopes this helps, but sorry if it confuses you further.

I didn't see whether you mentioned that you were sailing on the Connie or not. We will be, on October 16, so if you could snap some pics of the newly refurbed Connie, that would be great! Thanks in advance!

The information that I am offering below was contained in previous threads on this subject, is partly speculation, and I haven't independently verified any of it.

The Spanish VAT is 16%. Spain has taken the position with RCI/X that the VAT is owed on both pre-paid beverage packages and beverage packages purchased within a certain distance of the Spanish coast. They are likely trying to collect back taxes from RCI/X that it failed to collect (that is the source of the legalese gobbledegook about passenger responsibility for taxes above).

Now think about Spain's position. On a 12 day cruise, they want $107.52 in taxes on a premium package and all but a few hours of the cruise is outside of Spain.

RCI/X's solutions to Spain's money grab is simple. They don't sell the packages until you are outside Spanish waters. My understanding is that you can either backdate your package to the beginning of the cruise and they will refund your separate beverage purchases (though I would check on board for this) or just start your package on the second day of the cruise.

Spain's position is so ridiculous that it can't last forever. Bottom line, don't worry. X will still sell you the package, you'll just have to buy it on board. It is easy to do so. You can do it at any bar.

There is a thread about this on the RCL board, from the start of this year all cruises that start and end in Spain and don't leave the EU have to charge Spanish VAT onboard for all goods and services. The current rate is 8%, this is not going to X/RCL but to the Spanish government. Because of raising the tax they are not offering any purchases online before the cruise, you have to pay onboard and have the 8% surcharge added to normal prices.

We are going on Adventure from Malaga and have the same rules. I will post a link if I can find the thread.

Julie

Vadell

I am not surprised that you are confused. the previous email I received from X stated:

"The VAT is a tax that guests are charged for products purchased while in Spain and surrounding areas. This tax will be automatically added to the cost of onboard items. A breakdown of the charges can not be seen by guests; therefore, most guests are unaware of the tax."

According to X's own statement you should not have been able to book either restaurants or drinks.

X should issue a clear statement to all guests involved, after all it is not their fault that Spain has introduced this tax, but it is their fault to have caused such confusion.

The information that I am offering below was contained in previous threads on this subject, is partly speculation, and I haven't independently verified any of it.

The Spanish VAT is 16%. Spain has taken the position with RCI/X that the VAT is owed on both pre-paid beverage packages and beverage packages purchased within a certain distance of the Spanish coast. They are likely trying to collect back taxes from RCI/X that it failed to collect (that is the source of the legalese gobbledegook about passenger responsibility for taxes above).

Now think about Spain's position. On a 12 day cruise, they want $107.52 in taxes on a premium package and all but a few hours of the cruise is outside of Spain.

RCI/X's solutions to Spain's money grab is simple. They don't sell the packages until you are outside Spanish waters. My understanding is that you can either backdate your package to the beginning of the cruise and they will refund your separate beverage purchases (though I would check on board for this) or just start your package on the second day of the cruise.

Spain's position is so ridiculous that it can't last forever. Bottom line, don't worry. X will still sell you the package, you'll just have to buy it on board. It is easy to do so. You can do it at any bar.

If the cruise originates and ends in Spain and does not leave the EU, the tax is applicable for the whole cruise. There is also no duty free shop open on these cruises.

Julie

Thank you everyone for all the replies. I e-mailed Celebrity last night when I posted this and they have replied saying due to VAT implemented by the Spanish government guests sailing out of Barcelona are not allowed to book the drinks package or book the speciality dining. We will be able to book once on-board.

I have booked speciality restaurants for our cruise starting from Barcelona, but have been unable to book drinks package so I am a little confused with previous statement about it being our responsibilty.

We have also booked (and already paid) for speciality restaurants for our Oct 23 cruise-when I called the UK office to enquire about the drinks packages I was told that it would be available to book closer to our sail date as "they have to adjust the price in GBP as the exchange rate fluctuates:confused:

If the cruise originates and ends in Spain and does not leave the EU, the tax is applicable for the whole cruise. There is also no duty free shop open on these cruises.

Julie

Would this apply to cigarettes? My partner smokes (unfortunately) and usually buys his supply for the cruise (those huge packs which contain 5 cartons) the day we board.

I didn't see whether you mentioned that you were sailing on the Connie or not. We will be, on October 16, so if you could snap some pics of the newly refurbed Connie, that would be great! Thanks in advance!

We are on Connie but only the week before you, so unfortunately we will not be back in time to post pictures sorry. I have looked at the various responses on this tax for cruises starting and ending in Barcelona and I am still none the wiser if we have booked and paid for speciality restaurants have I paid the vat or are they going to charge us extra for the vat later on.

We are on Connie but only the week before you, so unfortunately we will not be back in time to post pictures sorry. I have looked at the various responses on this tax for cruises starting and ending in Barcelona and I am still none the wiser if we have booked and paid for speciality restaurants have I paid the vat or are they going to charge us extra for the vat later on.

You should not have been able to book the restaurants at all! If you have then you must have hit a computer glitch. They may try to charge you the extra 8% onboard but I doubt it! I'd take proof that you have booked and prepaid with you!

Simon: Duty free shops will not be open as there are no duty free sales within EU any more - you may be able to buy 20's behind the bars but I'd stock up in Spain where the tax on ciggies is lower anyway. There is a booze shop just before you board the ship (after you have cleared security and bag checks -if you get what I mean) - not sure if this sells ciggies too though.

You should not have been able to book the restaurants at all! If you have then you must have hit a computer glitch. They may try to charge you the extra 8% onboard but I doubt it! I'd take proof that you have booked and prepaid with you!

I was going to reply that, if the VAT rules are the same as in the UK, the VAT payable is that due at the invoice date and, therefore, should not be charged extra on board. However, I guess it is not that simple or X would sell the packages in advance and not on board to avoid the tax issue. It is clearly not a straight forward issue [as VAT rarely is].

Sue

I have a similar predicament - we sail 23rd October from barcelona, I booked and paid for two speciality restaurants, got a receipt but now nothing showing on our reservation and I was told same thing - we cannot pre book restaurants etc from spanish ports, but they took my money! nobody at celebrity is phoning me back either very frustrating!:mad:

I have called Celebrity, emailed (in 2 different countries) at least 4 times and received an autoreply (telling me to expect a response within 2days....2 weeks ago) and still nothing. This is my first cruise with them and I have to say their customer service so far has been simply appalling.

I asked some simple but specific questions, wanting to know when and if a drinks package would be bookable from Barcelona on my 7 night cruise. I also helpfully pointed them to check out their website which is currently stating false info (if this tax issue is to be believed) . It states words to the effect " Error - IT problems, come back nearer your cruise to book your packages....."

My cruise is on Saturday....Eeeeeeeek.

Gettting pretty close and no reply whatsoever. This is completely unacceptable customer service.

Makes me wonder if Celebrity are trying to hide something.... if so from whom?

Has anyone been on a Barcelona to Barcelona cruise before and experienced this before?? What is going on and why treat customers to complete "Radio Silence?".:eek:

Ember50 - So sorry to hear you have not been replied to by Celebrity. You will see on the thread they actually replied to me just one day after my

e-mail so I was very pleased. They said we couldn't book the drink package or speciality restuarants till we are on board. Very strange though to read on this post some people have been able to book the restaurants!! Just doesn't make sense.

I had lots of confusion over this - I made two speciality restaurant bookings online for our 23rd October sailing on Constellation from Barcelona, one for Tuscan Grille (monies taken and it showed as confirmed) and one for Ocean Liners (monies taken - booking NOT confirmed) Celebrity said that it was a tax thing and made me feel like I had committed a crime by pre booking online!

I have been told my Tuscan Grille reservation remains and I quote "even though it should not be!" and that my Ocean Liners one will be refunded (it has not been) and I will have to make it once onboard - Where is the consistency and if it is an issue why did their website allow me to pre book?

Archived