Sea Pass & Passport Needed to disembark at Ports?

Hi All,

I read a trip report where the person wrote: You will need to carry your Sea Pass card as well as passport/photo ID to get off at a port.

Really? Since when do you have to bring your passport with you? I always thought it was the Sea Pass and that's it?

debbie:confused:

I just use my DL--it's the same size as the seapass. And, although I take it, most times you aren't asked for ID...just the seapass to scan. BUT..you should always have a picture ID on you at all times. Bring it ashore with you. You can leave the passport in your safe. No Caribbean countries require a passport for cruise passengers.

Hi All,

I read a trip report where the person wrote: You will need to carry your Sea Pass card as well as passport/photo ID to get off at a port.

Really? Since when do you have to bring your passport with you? I always thought it was the Sea Pass and that's it?

It's a passport OR photo ID. It doesn't have to be the passport.

There are many ports that require this - I've been asked to show additional ID in a few ports.

Age Old Debate ....... which we probably just started. Passport or No Passport in Ports ????

You DO NOT NEED your passport in ports. SeaPass and DL suffice. However, many take their Passport with them "just in case". I DO NOT !! Here's how I see it. I know that I am going to need my passport to get thru customs at the end of the cruise. I also know how thirsty :D :D I tend to get when off the ship in ports. For me, my passport is much safer locked in the safe in my cabin than it would be with me.

Just a personal choice! :)

Hi All,

Most ports you will need Seapass & Photo ID (DL is OK)

Thanks everyone for your replies! I always thought the sea pass (from the cruise line) *had* a picture of you on it? But I guess not.

Yes, DL will have to do!

Thanks again,

debbie

:rolleyes:

The Pix in in the ships computer and shows up when you "scan on". The Port Authorities need the Photo ID to allow you into the secure area around the ship.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I always thought the sea pass (from the cruise line) *had* a picture of you on it? But I guess not.

Yes, DL will have to do!

Thanks again,

debbie

:rolleyes:

The seapass has your photo embedded in the magnetic stripe and can be seen only when it is scanned on the ship. It is not visible otherwise, so a picture ID is sometimes required by the port security officers.

The seapass has your photo embedded in the magnetic stripe and can be seen only when it is scanned on the ship. It is not visible otherwise, so a picture ID is sometimes required by the port security officers.

But a picture ID isn't required by the port security officers for my 9yo? So I could exchange him for a better behaved 9yo if he's acting up? That might be a good threat to hold over his head if he's giving me attitude.....:D

but a picture id isn't required by the port security officers for my 9yo? So i could exchange him for a better behaved 9yo if he's acting up? That might be a good threat to hold over his head if he's giving me attitude.....:d

smiley-laughing.jpg.888c0a4a2e4365f38ed392964e5eb67e.jpg

Archived