Hurricane Tracking Website

bellybutton530

Check out this website; many options in this one. Our OEM shared it with us:

http://www.stormpulse.com/atlantic

Good site. While I hate to wish ill on others, I'm glad 1) they don't appear to be heading for Texas and 2) I don't have a cruise booked for the next couple of weeks going to Canada. I always vote for hurricanes to go into the Yucatan Peninsula (north of Cozumel) if they have to go somewhere.

Tucker in Texas

Good site. While I hate to wish ill on others, I'm glad 1) they don't appear to be heading for Texas and 2) I don't have a cruise booked for the next couple of weeks going to Canada. I always vote for hurricanes to go into the Yucatan Peninsula (north of Cozumel) if they have to go somewhere.

Tucker in Texas

Seabrook, huh? You probably remember Ike in 2008. Were you affected?

Cheryl (Port Arthur)

I was broadside to IkE as we returned to Lauderdale.. WHAT a bumpy, but fun day! Ike was in the Gulf, and we were headed back from Cozumel. Why we had to go through the Straights, and not around Cuba, I will never know. Ig Cuba was between us and the storm, it would have been much better.

BTW...try:

www.wunderground.com

It is the weather underground, and it feeds off of NOAA. Easier site to use.

I think Tucker and I can comment on Ike.

Bumpy? To the extreme!

But "fun"? Not even a little bit around here.....it was hell for our area.

It's been almost 2 years and things are still not back to normal.....gives a whole new meaning to "a new normal". :(

I was broadside to IkE as we returned to Lauderdale.. WHAT a bumpy, but fun day! Ike was in the Gulf, and we were headed back from Cozumel. Why we had to go through the Straights, and not around Cuba, I will never know. If Cuba was between us and the storm, it would have been much better.

BTW...try:

www.wunderground.com

It is the weather underground, and it feeds off of NOAA. Easier site to use.

I've used that site before. I particularly like the archives that date back to the 1850s. I'm working on a spreadsheet for all of the years I've been on the Gulf coast (since 1956), and your website is assisting me in this endeavor.

It is bookmarked for my use as needed.

Cheryl (praying for a calm Gulf in 2010....:p)

Seabrook, huh? You probably remember Ike in 2008. Were you affected?

Cheryl (Port Arthur)

We beat feet getting out of town and this time was a breeze compared to Rita where everyone in the city of Houston left with their pets, horse trailers, boats, and every car in their garage. On Rita it took us 26 hours to get to Ft. Worth. Ike 8 hours. It is usually only 6 hours.

Even though we are a mile from Clear Lake, the flooding was confined to the east side of SH146 so any damage was limited to fallen trees and wind.

However, a pipe in our dining room wall decided it would be a good time to spring a leak. Nothing to do with Ike. Mercifully, our son came back the Sunday after the storm (I wasn't coming back until we had power) and cut the water off but not before it flooded the dining room, kitchen, family room, and part of the living room.

This was not all bad. Because it was a homeowner's claim not storm related our deductible was only 1%. We were in the process of starting to update our kitchen having just bought new appliances. In fact, we had someone coming in to refinish the cabinets scheduled the Monday after the storm. We got lino replaced with tile for a small upgrade price. We got hardwood floors in the den replacing the parquet for a small upgrade price. New carpeting in the dining room and living room. Dining room wallpaper removed and walls painted and textured--insurance covered. Of course, we ended up repainting the living room, hallway, and den on our nickel.

The best part? It was all done while we were on a two week trans-Atlantic cruise. No inconvenience at all to us. If not for the storm, it probably would have been a continuing upheaval in our life for a year.

Bad news. State Farm canceled our homeowner's insurance after 40 years of faithfully paying premiums not only on the house but the car, fine arts, long-term, flood insurance. They canceled everyone who lives within 3 miles of water whether we ever flooded or not. No house in CLF has ever flooded. Come to the door, maybe, but nothing inside. We have the lowest FEMA flood insurance premiums because our houses have not flooded. We moved our car insurance when it became due (darned if we want to let them keep the cream and toss the milk) and ended up saving $200 a year. As the other policies come up for renewal, we'll try to move them, too, but probably locked into long-term insurance because we have aged since buying it.

I learned several things from Ike. 1) we leave as soon as they start evacuating people from Galveston. You don't need the population of the island on the road in front of you. 2) we can board up and pack up important stuff in 4 hours. We weren't given a mandatory evacuation until early morning (before we got up and they didn't have the siren warning implemented then, they do now) to be gone by noon. 3) Turn off the water to the house! 4) take everything in the freezer and fridge with you. Even if you end up throwing it out, it will for sure be thrown out when you come home and your refrigerator and freezer will be a horrible mess. If you are going to be taking shelter with someone inland, at least you come bearing food.

Still, it was/is tragic what happened to others who lost their homes and, in some cases, their livelihood and still struggling with the aftermath.

This was the first serious hit in 25 years and I hope we won't get another one for another 25 years since it is doubtful I'll be around then. I'll either be in the home or the graveyard (lol).

Tucker in Texas

I think Tucker and I can comment on Ike.

Bumpy? To the extreme!

But "fun"? Not even a little bit around here.....it was hell for our area.

It's been almost 2 years and things are still not back to normal.....gives a whole new meaning to "a new normal". :(

Sorry, I didn't mean to make light of Ike making landfall. Strictly speaking from a cruise ship experience, that's all.

I hear where you are coming from. Hurricane Charly's eye passed 3 mile to the north of where I live. Remember, it was the first major storm to hit the US in a number of years, thus the beginning of the trend of active hurricane seasons. Then we got hit by Wilma a year later. Wilma was 200MPH for 2 days right off Cozumel before boltin over... But before Wilma, Katrina came across Florida before going into the gulf and into the history books. Katrina did more damage in FLA than anyone is willing to admit. But after the wreck she caused NO, it (the damage)doesn't seem all that important here...

I am from NJ down the shore, and while I have lived through many severe n'oreasters, NOTHING prepares you for the fury of a hurricane. I lived in Florida 2 whole weeks when Charly hit...LOL Is it MY fault??

Hurricane preparedness is so much a part of our life because we live with it for 6 months a yeAR.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make light of Ike making landfall. Strictly speaking from a cruise ship experience, that's all.

I hear where you are coming from. Hurricane Charly's eye passed 3 mile to the north of where I live. Remember, it was the first major storm to hit the US in a number of years, thus the beginning of the trend of active hurricane seasons. Then we got hit by Wilma a year later. Wilma was 200MPH for 2 days right off Cozumel before boltin over... But before Wilma, Katrina came across Florida before going into the gulf and into the history books. Katrina did more damage in FLA than anyone is willing to admit. But after the wreck she caused NO, it (the damage)doesn't seem all that important here...

I am from NJ down the shore, and while I have lived through many severe n'oreasters, NOTHING prepares you for the fury of a hurricane. I lived in Florida 2 whole weeks when Charly hit...LOL Is it MY fault??

Hurricane preparedness is so much a part of our life because we live with it for 6 months a yeAR.

I wasn't trying to be cranky.....it just came out that way. I guess when I hear anything about Ike, bad things come to mind. Sorry for being snappy....

Archived