shopping in Progresso & Cozumel?

JustJamieH

this will be our 2nd trip to these ports so we've seen the tourist traps, I mean shops as soon as you come off the ship. what we're looking for is shops outside of that area ... any insight? give me direction as if I were a kindergartener lol (don't want to get lost that's for sure!)

I've never been to Progresso, but I love Los Cinco Soles in Cozumel. Just look for it on your shopping map. I'd give you directions if I knew what pier you would be docked at in Cozumel.

hmmm, how do I find out which pier we will dock at?

Shopping is pretty good in either place. Probably a little cheaper in Progresso. No problem finding the shopping areas, they are everywhere. When you get to Progresso you have to take the bus (free) to get off the pier and into town. Once you get there there is plenty of shopping where the bus lets you off. There are also some shops down by the beach.

Doug

I've never been to Progresso, but I love Los Cinco Soles in Cozumel. Just look for it on your shopping map. I'd give you directions if I knew what pier you would be docked at in Cozumel.

Well, Los Cinco Soles is indeed a shopping stop for tourists. It has a branch at the Puerto Maya pier.

Best bet for OP is to grab a cab and head for San Miguel, get the cabbie to drop you off at the Flea Market on the Plaza. Or have him take you up to El Mercado which is on Rosada Salas and Calle 20. Lots of market stands and open air places to eat there. If you're walking arounf the plaza, venture away a coupel of blocks and locate some of the shops that have good merchandize but not inflated tourist places, like the little hammock shop on Calle 4 (north side of plaza) and Avenida 5. There'll be plenty of cabs around to take you back. Try Camillos on the north side or La Mission on the south side of the plaza for lunch. Casas Denis and La Choza are tow other spots there with excellent food.

this will be our 2nd trip to these ports so we've seen the tourist traps, I mean shops as soon as you come off the ship. what we're looking for is shops outside of that area ... any insight? give me direction as if I were a kindergartener lol (don't want to get lost that's for sure!)

Easy directions:

1. Find a taxi

2. Ask the driver to bring you to the center of San Miguel

San Miguel is a straight shot to where all the main shops are (Diamonds International etc) but it is too far to walk. Maybe a 10 minute taxi ride and you will find the same shops but not as expensive. My sister and I found some beautiful Tanzinite jewelry on a side street that was half the price in the main shops. But don't ask the name because we just happen to walk in at the right moment.

Progresso you will take a free bus to the market, they have great shopping (you can haggle prices). After walk outside the market to the beach (more shops).

Cozumel has tons of shopping, LOVE COZUMEL!!! If traveling on Carnival you should be docked downtown (Punta Langosta Pier), the shops will start at the dock. If not at this dock it will be at International Pier (taxi ride required). Shopping on main streets, but go down streets for much, more shopping (you can haggle prices)!!! Been to Cozumel 5 times and going again in May:D:D:D:D:D

Hope this helps :D

There's a wonderful Balam Feather Art Shop one block down to the left of the main plaza in San Miguel. Feather art is done by locals, who paint images of animals, fish, sports (NFL, NBA) logos, etc. on turkey or eagle feathers and then frame the result.

I've also gotten interesting silver statues of various dogs, horses, and wolves from some of the jewelers.

BTW, the best restaurants are beyond the plaza, they have outdoor seating, and put to shame the chain restaurants on the shoreline boulevard.

Have fun exploring!

We LOVED Cozumel! Take a taxi ride to the downtown area. It's a long strip down the waterfront. We walked down the main strip - drinking $1 local beer, ate lunch at a local restaurant, haggling at the mom&pop shops and doing some real shopping at the shops Carnival recommends. We also went to the town plaza and wandered off the beaten path a bit (just a few blocks). We stumbled upon a beautiful little Catholic church and found some great little cigar shops. Again... fell in LOVE with Cozumel! Enjoy!

Have a taxi take you to Panchos Back Yard. Great food, awesome and big margaritas and there own shop next door that has a lot of things. Then you can head back toward the pier shopping as you go. When you get to the central shopping area you can take a taxi to the pier depending where you are docked or just walk to your ship. Love Cozumel!!

Best bet for OP is to grab a cab and head for San Miguel, get the cabbie to drop you off at the Flea Market on the Plaza. Or have him take you up to El Mercado which is on Rosada Salas and Calle 20. Lots of market stands and open air places to eat there. If you're walking arounf the plaza, venture away a coupel of blocks and locate some of the shops that have good merchandize but not inflated tourist places, like the little hammock shop on Calle 4 (north side of plaza) and Avenida 5. There'll be plenty of cabs around to take you back. Try Camillos on the north side or La Mission on the south side of the plaza for lunch. Casas Denis and La Choza are tow other spots there with excellent food.

Absolutely agree!

In Progreso, if you want to see the "real" places that the local shop just walk past the open air market accross the street straight ahead of where the bus lets you out.

This will be a large concrete building with lots of stores, small shops, fruits, flowers, meat market, fish, food area. After walking through that just continue away from the beach 1 or 2 blocks and you will find many stores, markets, drug stores. I find Progreso to be the only port that I have been to that is anything close to real Mexico.

I am not sure how long you are in Progresso for, but when I cruised there years ago, my husband son and I took a public bus to Merida. It's about a 45 min ride.

Had awesome lunch, did some great shopping.

I wouldn't recommend this for the non-adventurous type, but perhaps Carnival has a tour that you can take to go there.

Well worth it. Love that city!

Ahh, Poncho's Backyard inside Los Cinco Soles in San Miguel. Great one-stop shopping for vanilla, souvenirs, silver jewelry, Christmas ornaments, etc. Shop through Los Cinco Soles then step inside Poncho's Backyard to kick back and enjoy some great food and great margaritas.:D

We normally start our shopping spree in Cozumel at the plaza area along the main street and walk back a street or two to the shops that aren't paying prime rental rate. The flea market style building at the back of the plaza normally has some great buys and behind that building are even more shops where you can actually make a deal for your purchase.

We shop the back streets until we've come to the end of the shops and then head back to the main street and on to Poncho's to cool down and relax. There's always taxis sitting right outside the doors of Poncho's and Los Cinco Soles to take you back to your ship.

Dianne

Archived