Why do people steal things on ships???

ChipLondon

Yes well it was a problem but managed to build a scale model of the Legend of the Seas in RCI bedtime chocs, only to find they have stopped giving them out so cannot complete the tenders. Still I've taken the water feature out of the main area and put a few pot plants back in place, no one will notice.... it works swell in the back yard :p

Unfortunately, in a small number of cases its a fact of life. I failed to mention the drunk female teenager who delighted in throwing deck chairs over the stern of a cruise ship. No, not stealing, simply however the ultimate in stupidity.

john

At last an idea that might actually work to stop the chair hogging

In EVERY case we have witnessed it has been unsupervised teens. This doesn't imply that all teens do this or only teens do this, but the correlation is quite strong.

On our last cruise while waiting in line to go through security (of all places) & reboard the ship after a wonderful day in Grenada a older man (mid 50s?) tried taking one of our backpacks. Unsupervised teens are not to blame for all cruise ship/port mischief and crime.

It is amazing what is offered for sale on E-Bay. I've been collecting items from long out of service ships such as coffee cups, ash trays (long ago ships) and even some writing paper.

All sorts of things are listed from the current ships.

You have to wonder if some of that stuff has been stolen such as plates from the Crystal ships and glasswear from the new Queen Mary.

:affecting upper crust accent of your choice: "Yes, well, with the sort of clientele that frequents Crystal or Cunard, what should one expect?"

;) :D

Sorry, could not help myself.

Almost 40 years ago I worked in a hotel, you would not believe what guests will pilfer. The pens are a giveaway, the guest is free to take them along with the paper provided. So are the little toiletry bottles. But the sheets/towels/bedding? Or, to stop by the maid cart and help yourself to a whole carton of toiletries?

So this is no new event.

Vandalism? Doesn't surprise me at all. Business men and women were guilty of bending wall sconces, trying to pry pictures off the walls in rooms, trying to unbolt the TV's, you name it. It wasn't just teens and drunks. Imagine their surprise when the damages were added to their room charges ;)

The fact that some steal has nothing to do with being able to afford what they are stealing. Case in point, the recent story in the news about the daughter of New York's former mayor stealing $100 in merchandise from a boutique, while she had $300 and credit cards in her purse.

For some it is a psychological disorder, getting a 'thrill' out of the taking or breaking of an object.

Yep, we own a hotel and both have many years of experience in upscale hotels, and all this is true. People will go through great length to screw the lightbulbs out of the fittings, even in a $300 room. They take cardboard boxes to the breakfast room and swipe everything from the buffet in the box with their arm and walk away. They refill the bottles from the minibar with something else (tea in whisky bottles, tap water in the mineral water bottles). I even know of an hotel where somebody cut out the carpet under the bed. Seriously, what do you want to do with a bedsize piece of carpet???

The poorer the people the more honest they generally are. It is the ones with the fancy cars and the Armani suits you have to watch. Roomservice once caught a guy in an expensive suit on his knees in front of the minibar sipping from the bottles with a straw. It was a Bartech-sensor system, the one where you get charged when you lift the bottle....

We have cruised on several lines and noticed recently on Carnival that a few little "globe" decorations on the inside railings were missing. DH and I couldn't believe how anyone could be so stupid and uncaring as to steal them. They are so well secured onto the railing that one wonders what equipment was used and when did the vandalism occur. No doubt in the middle of the night by a very tipsy individual or individuals. :mad:

Were you wearing it at the time?

No silly. My wife and I were in a shop (aprox 20 feet away) while our DDs sat on a bench with our bags on the ground.

I was simply trying to make the point that everything criminal shouldn't be blamed on teenagers. I'm 49 & was saddened that another passenger on the ship, was a guy a few years older than me.

Would you have felt better if the other passenger was a few years younger than you?

Not at all, If you read my original post on this thread, it was defending or sticking up for young people. I simply was sharing a life experience.

Not sure what you are sharing besides your sarcasam?

Seriously? Someone took a service for twelve and was dumb enough to put out her luggage to be taken? My but would have carried that off the ship if I was going to be that brazen....and it's thieves like this that eventually drive up the cost for us all, and make it so we have to sign out every cup plate and fork we get while on board....

Archived