Rome restaurant suggestions?

morneau

We are flying into Rome a day before our cruise begins and are looking for a good but casual trattoria for dinner....taking into consideration that we will be jetlagged we're looking for something light and casual. We will be staying at the Excelsior on Via Veneto, so perhaps something good nearby. Any suggestions? I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered - if so, just point me in the direction of the thread.

Nearby the Via Veneto means very expensive and/or touristy. We like restaurants farther afield. If you really want to splurge, take a taxi to the Cavaliere Hilton and eat at La Pergola overlooking all of Rome and experience famed chef Heinz Beck's multiple Michelin-starred cuisine. Or go to his disciple's restaurant, l'Atro Mastai, which is our other favorite expensive restaurant in Rome.

For more reasonably-priced restaurants, we like Costanza (in the Teatro dei Pompey), Da Giggetto (great scottadito, fried squash blossoms and fried artichokes), Il Bacaro (very reasonably priced; sit at an outside table near the Pantheon), It Convivio, Agata e Romeo, Piperno, Hotel Eden, Vecchia Roma, and many others. You might peruse a Michelin or Zagat guides for ideas. Here's a link to Frommer, who mentions several of our favorites: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/rome/64_inddin.html

If you would like a great Italian restuarant, lots of locals eat here, try Ristorante Al Padovano. It is around the Via Veneto area(maybe a 10 minute walk), but worth it. It is more fancy than a trattoria, but it is not expensive for Rome. You can get something light if you don't want a multi course meal. Or, you can do it up Italian style with all of the courses if you want. There is no need to go to the Hilton or other high priced restuarants in Rome for excellent food. You can of course do that if you want, but his meal will be awesome at a fraction of the price. I do hate the touristy places on Via Veneto. We stumbled on this a couple of years ago when we were there for a wedding. Last year we were in Rome before a cruise and walked around to where we thought it was (it was that good), and found it!! Told them we had been there a couple years before and remembered it b/c it was one of the best places we've eaten at in Italy (except for my cousins, which is always a multi hour event, and everything, including down to the olive oil and wine homemade). We didn't have a reservation, but they made room for us. The owners and waiters are fantastic....very true Italian hospitality. Their address: Via Bergamo 50 00198 Roma tel: 39068416080. website: alpadovano.com I would suggest a reservation. There are some reviews on trip advisor. Another place to check message boards is chowhound.com They will have boards for Italy if there is something particular you would like to find. But you can't go wrong with this place for food, service, and price.

Here is a link to a food blog written by Katie Parla, a food critic and art historian in Rome. I met her when she was my guide for a day in Rome last year and I have booked her for this year, too.

She has a great list of her favorite restaurants. You need to scroll down to page two for the list, but I imagine the rest of the blogs will be interesting as well:

http://www.parlafood.com/category/rome-lazio/page/2/

Archived