Disappointed in Oceania

libertyman

Actually, you felt the need to vent, but it was probably the deliverance of the complaints rather than the complaint(s) itself. I have been guilty of the same without any intent to offend the OP. There are many of us who prefer Oceania and understand that ocassionally there will be an upset. If you have bought Ford's all your life, you are going to defend it against Chevrolet. Same thing here so this is why you get an argument out of so many. You were so upset you forgot you were talking about another cruiseline that provided free laundry. I joined cruise critic in 2004 and did my research for my first Oceania cruise in 2006 so I knew going in what to expect on some of the weaker points such as internet. Everyone was right that it was the slowest and expensive. Oceania's good points outweigh the not so good. As most have pointed out is you pay more with Silverseas which includes shuttles, laundry, water, sodas. Oceania doesn't always work for everyone, but it works for me and I hope you give them another chance. :)

The purpose of my post was not to vent. The purpose was to review the cruise I had just taken. We travel 2 months per year, and I am a regular and very active reviewer on tripadvisor.com (cruisecritic's owner). I had just reviewed our pre- and post- cruise hotels along with the UNESCO locations we had visited on that site when I thought I would do the same for the cruise itself on this site. Of my two hotel reviews that I posted, one was glowing and one was so/so. As I posted in the original message on this thread, the cruise was disappointing compared to prior Oceania cruises we'd sailed on.

It's a vacation cruise review, and I have no idea why so many people are taking my opinions as personal insults. I drive a Honda, and love my car but I don't spend time on internet forums getting upset if someone else thinks Hondas suck toads.

Actually, we posted a very positive review about our prior Oceania cruise a year ago. We were so pleased by that trip that we booked two future cruises.

libertyman,

I can't find your prior review anywhere on Cruise Critic. Did you post the review somewhere else? I'd appreciate a link to the review, wherever it is located. Thanks.

Dave

P.S. From your latest message, my guess is that your prior review is on Trip Advisor. I'll take a look.

"Passengers getting 'hosed' "

That's pretty strong! You are implying that the ship charges a conversion rate that is out of line. It is so common, especially overseas, for non-banking outlets, such as hotels, restaurants and so on, to charge much more than "bank rate" for taking or changing one currency to another.

But to imply "Getting Hosed" - that's out of line!

But accurate. They are charging a bad rate plus a 5% commission. My hotel charged me 1.37 - period. That too is high but I needed some Euro for a Taxi.

In any case the OP and everyone should know BUYER beware. Oceania is no different than the airport money changes (total cost is 14%). Buy ahead of time or carefully use you ATM.

I agree that your review was not venting and you are certainly not bound by your prior cruise reviews when reviewing a recent cruise.

My problem with your post is that you had "issues" with things you should have known about, if not just from reading these boards, but from cruising O in the past.

No shuttles, slow internet, lack of shuttles, laundry costs, inferior entertainment -- even the standard Signature Dishes in the MDR - these issues had to be known to you before you paid for your cruise -- so why did they become complaints? Were you surprised? I expect all those things on my upcoming O cruise - so I have all private excursions, my Blackberry, will send the laundry out and go to sleep early. I booked anyway because those very well known O shortcomings do not matter to me.

Your complaint about your treatment in the Specialty Dining venues is on the money.

Many critical reviews stem from dashed expectations. In your case, you should have known exactly what to expect.

Thank goodness I'm an educated consumer and read cruise critic. Otherwise I might expect "too much" on my first O cruise. I have now lowered my expectations by reading these enlightened threads. Pity the soul who goes forward without doing this research and then posts their honest opinions. Libertyman you hit the nail on the head. This is cruisepraise.com !

I am fairly frustrated by this most recent response.

Suppose I went on Carnival and complained that there was too much partying.

Or on Celebrity and complained that there was a charge for the specialty restaurants.

Or on Princess and complained there was smoking.

Or on RCCL and complained that alcohol was not free.

Or on the Norwegian Epic and complained that there were too many passengers.

YOu get the idea.

Most of us welcome meaningful criticism -- FDR monitors these board and will likely address valid complaints. But to go on O and complain about issues that are standard to an O cruise is really meaningless.

I can't believe anybody cares about or judges me for doing a load of laundry, but it isn't about being cheap. Some of us (my wife included) don't want a stranger washing our undergarments.

I had the cruise ship launder and press our shirts/blouses/slacks/skirts and used the laundry facilities to wash underwear/t-shirts/tank tops/bathings suits/bras, etc. We were traveling for 25 days, with 14 of those days being on board the ship. Two loads of undies worked out great.

Personally, I just looked at the pros and the cons and plan on making a different decision than you did. I had no intention of judging your choice.

Mark

It's a vacation cruise review, and I have no idea why so many people are taking my opinions as personal insults. I drive a Honda, and love my car but I don't spend time on internet forums getting upset if someone else thinks Hondas suck toads.

Because other than praise for your cabin steward and ice, your review as you put it so nicely "suck toads". Some things such as rude passengers were out of their control. Your information about the Laundry was inaccurate. That's fine, we all make mistakes and were confused thinking we missed something:eek:. Anyway, like I said, I hope you try Oceania again and they redeem themselves. :)

I was on the Celebrity Solstice in the Mediterranean last year. The internet didn't work half the time. All were refunded at least half the purchase price of their plan.

You would think that a brand new ship would be state of the art. Apparently there is more to the reliability issue than we know. Perhaps it is beyond the control of any given ship or cruise line.

Just a thought.

We were on the July 11 Insignia cruise, which we enjoyed and was our 8th O cruise. At the risk of sounding snobbish or some other negative thing, I do feel that you often have to cruise with a different kind of passenger in the summer months than other times of year. It is sort of like going on a 7 day cruise vs 15 or more days - different passengers. But, traveling in northern climes requires summer travel so you just have to put up with it. Maybe people are hot and tired or something, I don't know. Many of us travel at various times of year, check it out for yourself if you haven't already.

With an upcoming Oceania cruise, I am reading this thread with interest. I find the Oceania board to be the most virulent of any on Cruise Critic when someone posts a negative review.

Many of you have mentioned "you knew what to expect", slow internet, lack of shuttles, etc. Pray tell, how did you know to expect these things if reviewers on this site did not mention them?

I appreciate hearing these reviews so that I know what to expect.

When I read a review, I expect to see both positive and negative, as most cruises contain both. I have seen negatives up on Crystal board, Seabourn, etc. and no one seems to lambast the reviewer as much as Oceania.

I too appreciate ALL the comments made by posters in their review of a particular cruise, cruise ship or cruise line. I have no experience except with Princess but am taking my first O cruise in 2 weeks. All of my research beforehand was through the CC boards and I am very grateful for the information that is provided, whether positive or negative. I have only been cruising for close to 2 years so am really a 'newbie' but have come to understand that internet is not something one should rely on, the bigger the ship the 'pushier' the passengers and when cruising the northern climates, i.e. the Baltic, the quality of the food is not as good as it is in the southern climates. The availability of fresh produce, AA quality beef etc. is not the same and one should not expect the same quality. However, I would not have known these things had I not been reading the CC reviews and postings. I'm sorry that your cruise review has been met by negative comments. I for one am grateful that you and others provide all the information, not just the positives, so that we can set our expectations accordingly.

I too appreciate ALL the comments made by posters in their review of a particular cruise, cruise ship or cruise line. I have no experience except with Princess but am taking my first O cruise in 2 weeks. All of my research beforehand was through the CC boards and I am very grateful for the information that is provided, whether positive or negative. I have only been cruising for close to 2 years so am really a 'newbie' but have come to understand that internet is not something one should rely on, the bigger the ship the 'pushier' the passengers and when cruising the northern climates, i.e. the Baltic, the quality of the food is not as good as it is in the southern climates. The availability of fresh produce, AA quality beef etc. is not the same and one should not expect the same quality. However, I would not have known these things had I not been reading the CC reviews and postings. I'm sorry that your cruise review has been met by negative comments. I for one am grateful that you and others provide all the information, not just the positives, so that we can set our expectations accordingly.

Hey Judy,

I am on the Insignia on Sept 5th. We should both check back here and compare notes. I agree with you from my experience about the food in the Baltic not being as good as the Mediteranean. I thought it was just the difference between two cruise lines. It is news to me that there was possibly something else at play. Good to know.

I too appreciate the good and the bad.

Mark

In terms of the Internet reliability question: Cruise ships are the victims of the current fleet of INMARSAT satellites, with low data rates and bandwidth, plus poor infrastructure on the ship itself. We've had bad Internet service on several cruise lines, with the fascinating exception of the QM2 this past June. They upgraded their bandwidth on-board the ship to get good reception for World Cup games, with the lovely side effect of fast internet service most of the time. Oceania charges a ridiculous amount for service, by the way. Also by the way, a new generation of INMARSAT spacecraft are being developed.

Libertyman, thank you for your frank opinions and the boldness to put them here on the boards. I guess there's a darn good reason why comments are not allowed with the reviews; I certainly get more from a single well-written negative review than dozens of positive paeans to the cruise line. I don't know about other folks here (who seem to have unlimited funds, bless their hearts :o) but my vacation dollars are precious and I want the best value for the dollars have spent. If I have "gone on the cheap", then I lower my

expectations. When a lot of money is involved, then things get a little tense. I spent a lot of time earlier this year on our first Oceania cruise (Caribbean Pearls on Regatta) defending our choice of Disney Cruise Lines for a Baltic cruise we took in June. Well, after nearly $15,000 for two of us, we were sorely disappointed and actually quite angry (you can find my review here on Cruise Critic) and I am a die-hard , which made it more difficult!

Oceania has my attention right now and I have high expectations for our Marina cruise next year. I can only hope for the best....

Hey Judy,

I am on the Insignia on Sept 5th. We should both check back here and compare notes. I agree with you from my experience about the food in the Baltic not being as good as the Mediteranean. I thought it was just the difference between two cruise lines. It is news to me that there was possibly something else at play. Good to know.

I too appreciate the good and the bad.

Mark

Hey Mark

Have a great cruise. Guess we board in Venice just as you are disembarking. Hope Hurricane Earl does not throw a wrench into your flight plans as I understand the northeast may be hit tomorrow. Good luck with your flight(s).

I pointed out the factual holes in the OP's review, and I could as easily point out the factual holes in his response to me, but it's not worth it. It's obvious that it won't change anything.

I could as easily point out the fallacies of depending only upon negative reviews for one's expectations, unless that negative opinion is backed up by valid facts. But again, it most likely won't change any opinions.

I will however, as I have in similar negative posts, point out that while everyone is entitled to their own opinion, they are NOT entitled to their own facts, especially when those confused, misrepresented, misconceived and misremembered facts are used as the basis for their opinion.

All of these facts have been established over the years on this forum by rational, factual and accurate discussion. All reasonable questions about the cruise experience on Oceania have been answered, both negatively and positively, by experienced guests. The Oceania forum has a well-deserved and hard-won reputation as one of the friendliest and least acrimonious forums on Cruise Critic.

Valid complaints have almost always been greeted with sympathy and suggested solutions.

INvalid and confused and misremembered complaints are often greeted with hoots of derision. People who respect these complaints and favor them may be doing themselves a serious disfavor.

The OP had one very valid complaint -- that his reservations to the specialty restaurants had been "stolen" by another passenger who wanted the dates, and he was subsequently largely ignored by the restaurant manager. If the report bears up after investigation, the OP is at least entitled to an apology and assurance that the system is being changed (the latter of which he did receive on the cruise).

The rest of it was not balderdash, but it was largely hyperbole.

Thank goodness I'm an educated consumer and read cruise critic. Otherwise I might expect "too much" on my first O cruise. I have now lowered my expectations by reading these enlightened threads. Pity the soul who goes forward without doing this research and then posts their honest opinions. Libertyman you hit the nail on the head. This is cruisepraise.com !

I think you missed the point. The OP did not need to do research to find out most of these things about O becaise he had already been on two previous O cruises. He should have been aware of these things after the second O cruise, if not after the first one.

I pointed out the factual holes in the OP's review, and I could as easily point out the factual holes in his response to me, but it's not worth it. It's obvious that it won't change anything.

I could as easily point out the fallacies of depending only upon negative reviews for one's expectations, unless that negative opinion is backed up by valid facts. But again, it most likely won't change any opinions.

I will however, as I have in similar negative posts, point out that while everyone is entitled to their own opinion, they are NOT entitled to their own facts, especially when those confused, misrepresented, misconceived and misremembered facts are used as the basis for their opinion.

All of these facts have been established over the years on this forum by rational, factual and accurate discussion. All reasonable questions about the cruise experience on Oceania have been answered, both negatively and positively, by experienced guests. The Oceania forum has a well-deserved and hard-won reputation as one of the friendliest and least acrimonious forums on Cruise Critic.

Valid complaints have almost always been greeted with sympathy and suggested solutions.

INvalid and confused and misremembered complaints are often greeted with hoots of derision. People who respect these complaints and favor them may be doing themselves a serious disfavor.

The OP had one very valid complaint -- that his reservations to the specialty restaurants had been "stolen" by another passenger who wanted the dates, and he was subsequently largely ignored by the restaurant manager. If the report bears up after investigation, the OP is at least entitled to an apology and assurance that the system is being changed (the latter of which he did receive on the cruise).

The rest of it was not balderdash, but it was largely hyperbole.

Don-

I have to tell you how much I admire this last post of yours.

I began writing replies to the OP several times, but scrapped them when I realized that they came across as brittle and defensive.

You write with a kindhearted spirit which tempers your insistence on fairness and accuracy.

BRAVO!

Don-

I have to tell you how much I admire this last post of yours.

I began writing replies to the OP several times, but scrapped them when I realized that they came across as brittle and defensive.

You write with a kindhearted spirit which tempers your insistence on fairness and accuracy.

BRAVO!

I agree. I wish I could 'write' that way. I am not a defensive type person at all, but sometimes it might come across that way and I don't mean it to. I guess I should not underline so much! Don is so good at expressing himself on the computer. I'm better at expressing myself in person. :p

... Don is so good at expressing himself on the computer. I'm better at expressing myself in person. :p

Yep, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I "write" much better than I "am". I get a little tongue-tied in person, maybe not as bad as a certain governor in a recent debate, but I can empathize with her...:)

Cruise ships are the victims of the current fleet of INMARSAT satellites, with low data rates and bandwidth, plus poor infrastructure on the ship itself.
While this is quite true, I would venture a guess that the reason some experience very slow Internet has more to do with when they are trying to check email/surf than the bandwidth itself. I am an very early riser and find response time to be decent between 0500-0630, marginally acceptable from 0630-0800, and then slow for rest of the morning.

The bandwidth is shared by the number of people that are online. If there are only a few people online then response will be good, however when 100 or so people go online, then response times degrade to unacceptable levels.

I remember around 0930 one morning it taking a half hour to download 90 emails. It would have only taken a couple minutes at 0500.

BTW, RubySue looking forward to meeting you next September.

With an upcoming Oceania cruise, I am reading this thread with interest. I find the Oceania board to be the most virulent of any on Cruise Critic when someone posts a negative review.

Many of you have mentioned "you knew what to expect", slow internet, lack of shuttles, etc. Pray tell, how did you know to expect these things if reviewers on this site did not mention them?

I appreciate hearing these reviews so that I know what to expect.

When I read a review, I expect to see both positive and negative, as most cruises contain both. I have seen negatives up on Crystal board, Seabourn, etc. and no one seems to lambast the reviewer as much as Oceania.

You obviouslty have neaver visited the Holland Ameraica Board.

Archived