Need Shore excursion recommendations in Ephesus

Bryantave

We will be on Oceania's Regatta in October, Venice to Athens. We prefer not to do the ship's excursion offerings and are looking for recommendations for tour guides/companies in Ephesus. We'd also be interested in suggestions for Kusadasi, and Santorini.

Thanks in advance!

We used Ekol and loved our guide, Ali. We booked a private tour for just the two of us and paid less than those using the ship's excursion, who were on large buses with probably 30 people. He met us just as we got off the ship (card with our name) and drove us in an air conditioned van (it was 95 in June 2009) to Ephesus. We also toured the Terrace Houses -- not to be missed.

My advice as always, regardless of which Company you choose is

START AT THE TOP and walk down the Hill. On our recent cruise a number of people were taken to the bottom and made to go uphill......big mistake in the heat.Take plenty of Water !!

Brian

Ephesus and Kusadasi are more or less the same thing in the sense the port of Kusadasi is the jumping off point for Ephesus.

We used Ekol - great tour but do NOT agree to the carpet factory tour - high pressure sales - our mistake but was otherwise excellent.

Santorini is quite easy to do by yourself either by renting a car or taking public transportation if you are so inclined. You may want to look into those options before spending money on a guide for that particular port.

We will be on Oceania's Regatta in October, Venice to Athens. We prefer not to do the ship's excursion offerings and are looking for recommendations for tour guides/companies in Ephesus. We'd also be interested in suggestions for Kusadasi, and Santorini.

Thanks in advance!

We've now used Ekol twice in Kusadasi...with excellent results both times...

In 2006 while on Nautica, we had a full day, so we arranged a tour to Didyma, Miletus and Ephesus--abolutely fascinating...three great sites...Our guide was great, everything well arranged...

So, last year, we again contacted Ekol...With a shorter day, we restricted our tour (for four this time) to just Ephesus and the Terrace Houses...again, excellent guide, excellent tour...

The prices were very reasonable...

We passed on any sales presentations either time with no problem...

I would recommend these guys any time.

Hello Ephesus has good reviews on these boards (we are using them in Oct ourselves.) We are doing a Deluxe tour including the Terrace houses. We are skipping Mary's house and going to Sirince for some wine tasting. The tour is 9 hours and $90 pp for 2-4 or $85 for 4-6

OK, well, feed back on Ekol appears to be very good, so I am interesting in getting some more information; but somehow I think I've missed something please?

...such as contact information for him?

Thanks, k

Levent is the best! We had him for both Ephesis and Istanbul and he was great. The one thing that he did in Ephesus that really helped was that he carries pictures and shows you what the original buildings looked like.

who is married to a Turk. We used them both in all ports in Turkey. Fabulous Mercedes vans with a driver and a guide, very reasonable. I loved Ephesus and I agree, start at the top and walk down and be prepared for a long walk. The guide came with us and the driver met us at the bottom. I asked to be taken to a specific leather factory and it was kind of high pressure, but they had some washable suede mixed with leather that i wanted. Also, the guide asked if we wanted to go to a rug factory. I said no, but we had a lot of time. We went to Turkmen rugs. This is also an American married to a Turk. She helped me with a problem I was having with B of A, and took me into her private office. I particularly love Turkish or Persian carpets, specifically the ones made with silk. I found it fascinating how they get the silk from the coccoons. They were high pressure, but I just didn't want wool or even silk and wool--but when they brought out the silk ones--they were fabulous. They used different colors than the Persians and the knots are different. I did end up getting 3. They cost slightly less than I have paid in California and they shipped them free and there was no duty. The rugs arrived the day after we returned. They only asked for 50% and you pay the shipping company the other 50%. Of course, you bargain. Fabulous company. I would love to return. Loved Seasong.

We were burned by Levent Solmaz and our experience wasn't unique; others have been burned as well. I urge you to read the following thread, which is the best discussion I have seen on guides for Ephesus.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1221993

We ended up using Ekol for both Ephesus and Istanbul and were very pleased.

I can also recommend Kagan and Lale Kosagan and company. We had a fabulous day with Lale in Istanbul, and I know the company also covers all other Turkish ports of call. I was a bit sad we didn't think to use her in Trabzon, where Lale said she had family members dwelling. Find them athttp://www.tourguidesinturkey.com/kagankosagan.html

On other threads their tours of Ephesus have been recommended.

Archived