To Hose or Not To Hose

Mysteryreader

OP here again. True confessions time: I'm 67 yo but I'm not overweight and have pretty good legs. (Those 2 mis every day except Sun are probably a factor.) This afternoon I gave myself a pedicure* so I'm as good as I can get for the bare no-hose look. My shoes are clear vinyl w/ rhinestone/sparkly straps. Thanks for the input in this decision.

*I've gotten 3 (yes, only 3!!!) professional pedicures and got a nail fungus infection w/ the 3d. It took some serious therapy to cure it. I don't trust my feet to nail salons anymore. Sitting on the edge of the tub while painting my nails propped on the toilet seat cover isn't my favorite thing to do, but if I do say so myself, my tootsies look fantastic! <g>

M/R

For me it totally depends on the dress. If it's short enough and my legs aren't tanned enough, then hose....but never with strappy sandals or open toe shoes, that look to me is horrible, equates to a man in socks and sandals. So shorter dress, hose and appropriate heels...longer dress, no hose and strappy sandals or peep toe pumps.

I agree with the others that say you should wear what makes you comfortable. I go back and forth on the issue, it mostly depends on whether or not my stockings have somehow managed to snag or run :) I tend to wear long formal gowns. So generally, if it is in warmer climate I will not wear hose because one cannot see my legs. However if I am wearing a short cocktail dress I will wear very sheer hose or stockings.

I also agree that the "sandal foot" pantyhose or stocking are still visible in opened toed shoes especially when you are close and sometimes can ruin the look.

No one has mentioned toeless pantyhose, (My personal favorite) I wear these a lot with opened toed shoes. If you have not seen them, they are like pantyhose thongs :) Only your toes are out the rest of foot and leg are covered (Just make sure you get them in the appropriate colour.)

tmee

I live along the Gulf Coast and I do not wear hose!!! I also, rarely, wear a jacket. :D I am in the early 30's age and not many of my friends (now splattered across the states) wear hose. If for some reason I want to wear a dress and it's cold outside, I opt for tights (they don't run) under my dress. If it was a formal night in winter, I would probably choose a black dress and either black tights or hose - depending on the shoes. I think it is a personal and a regional choice.... I definetely would not take hose on a caribbean, mexican, or south american cruise - regardless.

I'm in my 20s and I can't say yes or no completely. I think it depends on the outfit itself. For example, most of my dress clothes, I can go either way depending on what look I'm going for. But for my next cruise, I have a little black dress with some lace detailing for the second elegant night. I look young enough that I need hose and closed toed shoes with it to make it look like I'm not a teenager going to a homecoming dance. For my long formals, there's no need for hose because nobody sees my legs, or even my feet, anyway.

I don't think it has anything to do with the weather either because on elegant nights, I'm spending my time inside and it isn't going to matter if it's 90 degrees out or 20 degrees out. I do tend to wear tights more often during the winter here just for warmth purposes, but I've taken hose on caribbean cruises and actually been happy for the extra warmth in the cold dining room.

I'm going for the look that I want and I know based on the outfit and shoes if hose needs to be part of that look or not for me to feel suitably dressed up and appropriate. The only problem is that the sheer hose that I like are getting hard to find at a decent price!

I just returned from Italy, was there for 16 days and stayed with locals.

Oh my....would you believe...women were wearing hose! It was mostly in the 60-70 degree range weather-wise..and would you believe..many young women were wearing knee-hi's with flats.

So take that, so called fashionistas...LOL

knee hi hose or socks??? hose would look odd, but knee hi socks with flats or high heels are really in style on young women.

OP, I am with you. I know longer trust the nail salons. I have awful rough big feet, but I found some great products thru Avon and I do my own pedicures now as well.

I have a little black dress (actually two) that I'll be wearing for formal night. The current fashion is bare legs (thanks Sex and the City) but for formal night???

What do you think? Bare legs? Nude-colored hose? Black hose?

M/R

You know it really doesn't matter.....wear what you want. I guarantee they won't throw you overboard.

Knee-high HOSE..with flats, skinny jeans, etc..it was either that or bare foot..saw no "socks" per se.

Why would hose look odd? Do you think it makes them look too old?

Maybe their feet got cold, or maybe they didn't want their feet to get stinky and sweaty without some kind of foot covering.

knee hi hose or socks??? hose would look odd, but knee hi socks with flats or high heels are really in style on young women.

OP, I am with you. I know longer trust the nail salons. I have awful rough big feet, but I found some great products thru Avon and I do my own pedicures now as well.

Knee-high HOSE..with flats, skinny jeans, etc..it was either that or bare foot..saw no "socks" per se.

Why would hose look odd? Do you think it makes them look too old?

Maybe their feet got cold, or maybe they didn't want their feet to get stinky and sweaty without some kind of foot covering.

How do you know they were wearing Knee Highs if they were wearing skinny jeans? plus that's not really what we're talking about. The conversation has been about bare legs not what's under jeans.

I prefer not wearing hose. Im larger and the right size is hard to find for me and they tend to rub my thighs. That would be a bummer on vacation! On the upcoming cruises, Im wearing a maxi length dress with open toe sandals so no leg showing anyway. Personally Im going to wear what I like and feel comfortable in not what someone else thinks I should wear.

I like to surprise hubby once in a while by wearing thigh-high stockings. Always leads to a great night of fun! Also, he loves me in high heels and says my legs always look better in hose or tights.

Now that sounds like a good idea! My dad has always been a leg man. He finds hose to be very sexy with high heel.

First let me say, op go with what you are comfortable with as that is what matters. But something I did notice on here (but don't agree with)

1 - you are totally wrong for wearing nylons no matter what - sorry, but some of us don't like bare legs with dresses.

2 - nylons are way too hot to wear - not everyone gets too hot wearing them.

3 - nylons make your feet sweat - I'm diabetic, so are others, and we usually don't wear shoes without something on our feet.

And as klkemp100 said, some of us like the reactions we get from our husbands when they know we are wearing thigh high stockings with our heels.;) Aren't debates fun?:rolleyes:

Everyone have a good one,

Sue

sorry, but some of us don't like bare legs with dresses.

For short dresses I agree.... like I said, it depends on how my legs look at the time. Long gowns, I'd say hose are kind of a wasted effort since no one will see them. Plus if I spend money on a French pedicure I am not going to cover my feet with hose. ;)

As far as thigh highs are concerned, I can't wear them. Even with garters they don't fit me well because of the shape of my upper legs. My thighs are large but only the top half near my butt, so I can't get the stockings to go high enough.

You know something? You are so right...maybe they WERE wearing panty hose under their skinny jeans.

To me, "knee high" hose fall into the hose category..they just don't have the panty part on them

I do realize that many would miss the point if they sat on it, but my point was in reference to "hose", period..and I don't think I mentioned this in my previous post but there were many women in Italy wearing hose and it was in the 60-80 degree temperature range while I was there.

How do you know they were wearing Knee Highs if they were wearing skinny jeans? plus that's not really what we're talking about. The conversation has been about bare legs not what's under jeans.

I'm guilty as charged I wear hose with my dresses and open toed shoes. for me its my comfort level with formal events and such. Even in summer i do.

If you like going without hose during elegant or formal night please maintain- that means moisturize and shave(or remove the hair some how) your legs and pedicure. just sayin...

Your dad? :confused:

Yes, my dad. I was using him as a reference to what some men may like. My mom has always had great legs, but he loves seeing them in hose with high heel shoes. He would love for seamed stockings to come back into fashion.

Well...I am a Native Floridian and I live in South Florida. I barely ever see hose....In the 2 weeks of winter I see hose and on older ladies. But, they sell everywhere, so someone is wearing them.

Wear whatever feels comfortable to you, but, please please make sure they are sheer or none for strappy sandals.

That hose and sandal look is really bad.

BTW, Anna Wintour doesn't wear them and she is basically the Queen of all fashion, so don't feel bad if you don't want to.

Well...I am a Native Floridian and I live in South Florida. I barely ever see hose....In the 2 weeks of winter I see hose and on older ladies. But, they sell everywhere, so someone is wearing them.

Wear whatever feels comfortable to you, but, please please make sure they are sheer or none for strappy sandals.

That hose and sandal look is really bad.

BTW, Anna Wintour doesn't wear them and she is basically the Queen of all fashion, so don't feel bad if you don't want to.

I am not a hose fan myself, but I have a hard time endorsing Anna Wintour in spite of her appearing to support the no-hose camp..... mostly because I refuse to take any kind of advice from a woman who demands to be carried down a flight of stairs when there is a fully functioning elevator-

http://jezebel.com/5631817/anna-wintour-unleashes-her-wrath-on-tim-gunn

Ah, who am I kidding, I just didn't like her attacking Tim Gunn :o

Yes, my dad. I was using him as a reference to what some men may like. My mom has always had great legs, but he loves seeing them in hose with high heel shoes. He would love for seamed stockings to come back into fashion.

This is something I would have definitely put in the "Parental TMI" category.

Archived