83 members have voted

1. 1. What do think the problem is?

• Quality of the food has declined
    • Dishes are too fancy for most people's tastes
    • Cooking preparation:overcooked, too spicey, too bland
    • Not as described on the menu
    • Not many simple dishes on the menu
    • No difference noticed

Oceania offer a far greater degree of choice in dining options from both menu items and venues, the standard/quality of food never seems to vary. As we have commented in another post re food and cruising, Toscanas is the best Italian restaurant afloat.

On a recent Silversea cruise the standard of meal varied from mediocre to poor, with quite limited options available. This was a great disappointment after previous experiences.

You are exactly right about the level and & style of dinner service! We ate in the Polo our first night on our first O cruise last April and when the waiter placed a black napkin on my lap because I had on black (everyone else got white napkins), I knew I was in for something good............:D

Hey, Judy, I also was impressed with this on our April/May cruise this year. (However, I thought it was odd because on our two prior cruises - June 2009 and September 2008 - this never occurred although black is my primary color for dinner because I believe in the one suitcase rule.:))

As far as my personal opinion of the food on board, I think it is excellent and certainly there has not been any deterioration in the two years I have been fortunate enough to enjoy it.

I hasten to disclose that although I have no other cruiseline experience with which to compare my Oceania food experience, I consider my 11 years residence in Manhattan, wining and dining with clients as well as my spouse, created a "discerning palate" which I hopefully have not altogether lost rusticating in the hinterlands of Cincinnati, where pepper is king. (I am allowed out to the big cities for visits with family.:D)

I recently read an article on the Best Restaurants at Sea. I learned that Oceania is the ONLY cruise line to be inducted into the Maitres Cuisinier de France, thanks in large part to the creative menus crafted by Jacques Pepin. And he promises to raise the bar even further at his eponymous Jacques on Marina. How exciting!

Archived