Taking food off ship??

BeccaBecca1713

A month or so ago I read somewhere here on CC a really good tip for budget conscious folks: the morning of an excursion, you order some sandwiches and chips from the room service menu then take them (in a small collapsable lunch size insulated tote)to eat while you're out at a beach etc.....

But then on another thread I could've sworn I saw someone say that Carnival will not allow you to leave the ship with food. But thinking back to the many times I have disembarked at a port, I don't recall having to send anything through a scanner (just upon re-embarkation from a port of call). Does anybody know the protocol?

Thanks!!:)

People try to do this all the time...and sometimes they get lucky. But you'll see signs on board, announcements, notices in your daily newsletter, ...

and sometimes big trash bins at the bottom of the gangway, and sniffer dogs (depending on the port)...making you dump any food that isn't in it's commercially sealed packaging.

Sometimes they'll make exceptions for things like baby formula, but otherwise no food, especially not fresh fruit, veggies, produce like that.

It's not Carnival that objects...but health concerns, chance for spreading unknown insects, bacteria, microorganisms, that are "foreign" to the agriculture in the towns you're visiting.

This isn't really so unusual.. there are restrictions about food going in/out of a lot of States, too, like California, Arizona, Florida. Where I live in Wisconsin, we can't even take firewood across county lines, much less out of the state!

People try to do this all the time...and sometimes they get lucky. But you'll see signs on board, announcements, notices in your daily newsletter, ...

and sometimes big trash bins at the bottom of the gangway, and sniffer dogs (depending on the port)...making you dump any food that isn't in it's commercially sealed packaging.

Sometimes they'll make exceptions for things like baby formula, but otherwise no food, especially not fresh fruit, veggies, produce like that.

It's not Carnival that objects...but health concerns, chance for spreading unknown insects, bacteria, microorganisms, that are "foreign" to the agriculture in the towns you're visiting.

This isn't really so unusual.. there are restrictions about food going in/out of a lot of States, too, like California, Arizona, Florida. Where I live in Wisconsin, we can't even take firewood across county lines, much less out of the state!

Honestly, thank you so much for giving me a response that makes total sense and doesn't try to belittle me. You rock!!!:D:D:D

We have a son with Autism who will not just eat anything ...especially at a foreign port, so we plan our day accordingly.

If we are going to a beach, we eat a big breakfast ... do our activity and are back onboard the ship by 1pm for lunch.

As a snack, I carry "factory sealed" chips, granola bars, candy bars etc for him to snack on.

Have a great cruise...

btw, Cozumel restricts anything that is not "factory sealed". They are trying to prevent the Red Palm Mite. Now I have no idea what that is (or what harm it would do to their agriculture)....but they set the rules and I follow them.

Honestly, thank you so much for giving me a response that makes total sense and doesn't try to belittle me. You rock!!!:D:D:D
i honestly wasn't trying to belittle you. that's the problem with text, something always gets lost in translation. sorry if it came across that way, i didn't mean for it to.

Well, i have a funny story...

Sitting n Grand Cayman, just saved a womans life in the water......

I then go over and somone is holding a brown thing in their hand. After lookng for a while, i go over and sayis that a shell and they repond no a .......coissant.......say what?????

They took it from the ship to feed the fish to take pictures.....

WHO does that ???????????????????????????????

Aside from whether you are or aren't supposed to do this (obviously, you're not), the real issue is being a considerate traveler. When you go to another country, and they are hosting you, and helping you to have a good time, it's expected that you will spend some money there. To try to pull this type of stunt is clearly mean-spirited, and inconsiderate of the locals. If you can't afford to be a considerate guest, then there's nothing wrong with picking a vacation closer to home.

Aside from whether you are or aren't supposed to do this (obviously, you're not), the real issue is being a considerate traveler. When you go to another country, and they are hosting you, and helping you to have a good time, it's expected that you will spend some money there. To try to pull this type of stunt is clearly mean-spirited, and inconsiderate of the locals. If you can't afford to be a considerate guest, then there's nothing wrong with picking a vacation closer to home.

I agree with your opening statement- being a considerate traveler, but if you are in a foreign country it is more of a concern that you could bring insects or viruses which would wipe out their agriculture and flora in general. Spending money is very nice of course.

So, taking food off the ship would be ok in Alaska, for example (well, I don't know what Carnival says about it) but not in foreign ports.

I agree with this 100%. That's why nobody should mind paying $8 for bottled water or $15 for mixed drinks next time they visit Atlantis. Granted...the bulk of the money isn't really going to the locals but at least you'll help support the folks they're employing at a small wage while Kerzner makes a killing.

At a minimum...you can head back to your cruise ship feeling good that you've helped out the local people while they head back to the barn feeling a great sense of pride knowing they've gouged another group of tourists.

It's win...win...

We always have a big breakfast and bring a couple boxes of cereal with us if we're going on a long excursion plus buy lots of bottled water. We always have our one daughter with us that needs to eat more frequently. She can't go from 7:30 to 12:30 without eating....she'll get dizzy (and very cranky....)

A month or so ago I read somewhere here on CC a really good tip for budget conscious folks: the morning of an excursion, you order some sandwiches and chips from the room service menu then take them (in a small collapsable lunch size insulated tote)to eat while you're out at a beach etc.....

But then on another thread I could've sworn I saw someone say that Carnival will not allow you to leave the ship with food. But thinking back to the many times I have disembarked at a port, I don't recall having to send anything through a scanner (just upon re-embarkation from a port of call). Does anybody know the protocol?

Thanks!!:)

Every cruise I have been on, when disembarking from the ship at a foreign port, there's security standing at the door confiscating food. Big garbage can with bananas, apples, sandwiches, etc., all tossed away. Waste of food IMHO. So don't do it.

I hear about people taking these kinds of things ashore to feed the fish all the time. I've never tried it, but I just read on a check list (packing guide) the other night, 'dog biscuits' for feeding fish... eww, poor fish! haha... but whatever. Probably works.

Anyway, back to the OP.... yes, people bring some small ziplock bags with them just for this purpose. As you have already been tersely told, it's not "allowed", especially fruit products. And yes, it is a good thing to support the local economy of the places you will visit, they really need it. (Sheesh, people... you can make your point in a slightly more courteous way, ya know. Especially to newer members). Whatever you do, definitely leave the fruit behind.

Hope you enjoy your cruise :)

Well, i have a funny story...

Sitting n Grand Cayman, just saved a womans life in the water......

I then go over and somone is holding a brown thing in their hand. After lookng for a while, i go over and sayis that a shell and they repond no a .......coissant.......say what?????

This past summer a little girl almost lost her arm while the family was snorkeling in the keys...they were throwing bagels in the water to "attract the fish" and a barracouda mistook her ARM as a bagel.

I hear about people taking these kinds of things ashore to feed the fish all the time. I've never tried it, but I just read on a check list (packing guide) the other night, 'dog biscuits' for feeding fish... eww, poor fish! haha... but whatever. Probably works.

Yep...when we were in St. Thomas, a man was feeding dog biscuits to the fish at Magen's Bay Beach!

I am amazed by the people that have seen signs, security guards, announcements in the Fun Times, etc. I have never seen any of those items, maybe because I am not taking food I don't pay any attention to them.

You should never remove raw fruits, raw vegetables, or meats from the ship due to possible pest infestation. Most other things are OK, even into the US.

Many of the luxury lines will still prepare you a picnic to take ashore at almost all the stops and they often move the whole kitchen ashore for shoreside bar-b-ques.

Just be aware if you take the wrong thing ashore you face potentially large fines, so it is better to leave it on the ship.

I'm continually amazed at the lack of class among the cc posters. I still am hopeful that it's the minority of cc members that make these obnoxious and uncalled comments.

The OP asked an innocent question. If you can't respond with at least some decorem, you really shouldn't respond at all. Didn't your mother ever tell you "not to say anything if you can't say something nice?"

Seriously, I bet none of these posters would have the audacity to say in person what they say hiding behind their computer.

OP, have a great cruise!

I agree with your opening statement- being a considerate traveler, but if you are in a foreign country it is more of a concern that you could bring insects or viruses which would wipe out their agriculture and flora in general. Spending money is very nice of course.

So, taking food off the ship would be ok in Alaska, for example (well, I don't know what Carnival says about it) but not in foreign ports.

I'm not sure how Alaska works (may depend on whether or not you visit Canada first) but we sailed from Baltimore in May and our first port was Port Canaveral, Florida. Since we had sailed into international waters the restriction still applied. There were announcements all morning, published in the Capers and then HUGE signs in the terminal with random checks by the dept. of Agriculture. The signs said the fines are now up to $50,000. :eek:

My DH gets very passionate on this subject - good thing he's not a member here! :p;) He's a professional horticulture guy and can ramble off lists of invasive pests and the damage they've caused various places around the world. Even if there weren't a fine, he would divorce me for even thinking about taking something not prepackaged off the ship. :p:)

Archived