organised tour or do it ourselves in Juneau?

Spotlight 99

We're going on our first cruise ever in a couple of weeks to Alaska.

We'll be in Juneau from 2.00 - 10.00 pm on 28 September. It sounds as though the Mendenhall glacier is the must see attraction - the tour reviews on the NCL website frequently complain that the organised tours don't leave enough time to see the glacier, go to the visitors' centre, do some hiking, etc.

The tours tend to combine the glacier with other activities - salmon hatchery (which sounds like 10 mins hatchery and 45 mins gift shop - yuk) or whale watching (going on yet another boat, I suspect I might want to spend a bit more time on dry land).

So I'm thinking we might skip the tours and make our own way to the glacier and spend a few hours there - go back into town when it gets dark and do a bit of shopping and have dinner.

Is this a feasible plan? Are we likely to miss something that we will regret? Any restaurant recommendations for Juneau?

I would suggest a rental car from Rent-a Wreck. Drive out to the Shrine of St. Therese...beautiful, peaceful, serene. There are lots of things to see and do in Juneau. We went to Mendenhall, but there were so many people there, I don't think I could fully appreciate any of it. Maybe the crowds won't be so big in September...

We're going on our first cruise ever in a couple of weeks to Alaska.

We'll be in Juneau from 2.00 - 10.00 pm on 28 September. It sounds as though the Mendenhall glacier is the must see attraction - the tour reviews on the NCL website frequently complain that the organised tours don't leave enough time to see the glacier, go to the visitors' centre, do some hiking, etc.

The tours tend to combine the glacier with other activities - salmon hatchery (which sounds like 10 mins hatchery and 45 mins gift shop - yuk) or whale watching (going on yet another boat, I suspect I might want to spend a bit more time on dry land).

So I'm thinking we might skip the tours and make our own way to the glacier and spend a few hours there - go back into town when it gets dark and do a bit of shopping and have dinner.

Is this a feasible plan? Are we likely to miss something that we will regret? Any restaurant recommendations for Juneau?

We will be in Juneau, 9/20th and planning to go on our own as well...wanted to go to Mendenhall then take Mr. Roberts tram. It was posted that if you do both & buy tickets @ the pier for both it's discounted...I hope the bus is still running....perhaps "Yukon" will post an answer for us?:)

We just got back from the same cruise. We bought tickets at ther booths for the Mendhall shuttle bus. The last bus back to the ship was announced at 6:00. That will give you plenty of time to hike and explore. Can't say if the time will be any different when you are going, but, if it is light out, I would hope it is the same.

Cheers

Len

We will be in Juneau, 9/20th and planning to go on our own as well...wanted to go to Mendenhall then take Mr. Roberts tram. It was posted that if you do both & buy tickets @ the pier for both it's discounted...I hope the bus is still running....perhaps "Yukon" will post an answer for us?:)

I assume the shuttle is Mighty Great Tours, so why not just call or email them?

The tours tend to combine the glacier with other activities - salmon hatchery (which sounds like 10 mins hatchery and 45 mins gift shop - yuk)

Considering the gift shop is in one small corner, I dare even the most devoted shopper to spend 45 minutes in it.

The hatchery is small overall though, and I'm wondering if it'll even still be open at this time of year. The guides seem to be college students, who're all back in school now. It does have a small aquarium and touching pool and isn't expensive, so it can be of interest to some visitors.

2pm is a late start at that time of year, so if you're interested in some hiking and the visitors center, the glacier may be your only activity before you lose daylight.

Any restaurant recommendations for Juneau?

Depends on your interests. The Hanger is a reliable local place with water views. The Twisted Fish is run by the same people, but is a tourist place and may be closed. It has more emphasis on fish, though.

For a total local dive, the Pel Meni Russian dumpling place is cheap and full of local color.

Hi- just got off a cruise in Alaksa a few days ago. We did our own thing in Juneau and went out to Mendenhall Glacier all by ourselves. We were so glad that we did. We took a bus right from the cruise docks, paid $28 for two round trip bus tickets, and were able to go, do our own thing and walk around and hike at our leisure. No waiting for tour groups or buses or feeling constrained by time (other than the time for the ship leaving!) It was totally easy and we saved so much money and had more freedom.

We literally walked off the ship, walked down to where all the cars and buses were and looked for a booth that sold bus tickets (there were quite a few). I believe we went through MGT (Mighty Great Tours)- it was a bright blue school bus and the driver gave us some touristy commentary on the ride over (about 20-25 min). The bus arrives at the Mendenhall Visitor's Center every half hour (he was on time when we were leaving and waiting for the bus) and takes you right back to the port. He let us get off early- right in town- so we could walk around the shops.

The only thing you have to decide is whether you want to go to the glacier itself or the Mendenhall Visitor's center (which is where the bathrooms are, the hiking trails start, there are maps, viewing points, etc.) I have no idea what "going to the glacier" means because we went to the visitor's center itself. If you want to get to the visitor's center (which I recommend, it was lovely and offers a great view of the glacier and a lot of great hiking trails, oh and did I mention there are bathrooms there?!) you have to MAKE SURE you are getting on a bus that takes you to the VISITOR'S CENTER. Some don't. Apparently the city bus leaves you like 1.5 miles from the center so don't do that. Just decide where you want to go and make sure you get on the right bus. Other than that it was easy peasy, we had no one to answer to and we did whatever we wanted when we got there! It was great!

The only thing you have to decide is whether you want to go to the glacier itself or the Mendenhall Visitor's center (which is where the bathrooms are, the hiking trails start, there are maps, viewing points, etc.) I have no idea what "going to the glacier" means because we went to the visitor's center itself. If you want to get to the visitor's center (which I recommend, it was lovely and offers a great view of the glacier and a lot of great hiking trails, oh and did I mention there are bathrooms there?!) you have to MAKE SURE you are getting on a bus that takes you to the VISITOR'S CENTER. Some don't. Apparently the city bus leaves you like 1.5 miles from the center so don't do that. Just decide where you want to go and make sure you get on the right bus. Other than that it was easy peasy, we had no one to answer to and we did whatever we wanted when we got there! It was great!

NONE, of the $14 round trip Mendenhall shuttle buses purchased from the dock booths, take you anywhere BUT the Mendenhall visitor center. The city bus, is picked up on Franklin for between $1-2 fare. So it is not an issue of making sure you are on the "right bus", if you paid $14.

Archived