Tipping

lesliew

So, if you put the tips in the envelopes they give you, do they tell you where to turn them in or do you hand-deliver them....does the party on the receiving end know that you paid your tips?

What if you think the head waiter for example was not so great, do you tip him less than the suggested amount?

So, if you put the tips in the envelopes they give you, do they tell you where to turn them in or do you hand-deliver them....does the party on the receiving end know that you paid your tips?

What if you think the head waiter for example was not so great, do you tip him less than the suggested amount?

If you pay cash - put the money in the envelop and give it to the individuals on the last evening when you thank them for their service.

The Head Waiter's job is to keep things moving smoothly in the dining room. If I have no problems during dinner on my cruise - then s/he has done their job quite well. I am not going to sit and count the number of times he comes by my table to decide whether or not to give him the recommended 75 cents a day. I have a lot better things to do with my time - do I want to order 2 appetizers and 1 desert or should I go for 2 deserts.

Are tips automatically added to your Onboard Account on Royal Caribbean?

Not automatic but you can have them added. You will receive a form in your room near the end of the cruise to sign to set this up. If you choose to tip this way you will receive a voucher to put in each envelope to hand to your servers, room steward and head waiter. If we feel we have great service we add some additional cash along with the voucher that indicates that we tipped the recommeded amount.

If we choose to eat mostly in the specialty restaurants rather than the MDR, what is the custom regarding tipping in the MDR? Do we only tip for the days we ate in the MDR, or still for the entire cruise?

Also, I know that gratuities are included when you eat in a specialty restaurant, but that people generally leave a tip for the waitstaff anyway. What is the percentage or amount that people normally leave in one of the more upscale specialty restaurants?

I just want to add that if you do arrange to have your tips added to your account, you do NOT have to hand the vouchers to the appropriate people in order for them to collect their tips. It is really just for appearance's sake...they will know that you pre-paid and they will receive their portion of the money regardless. It's not like they have to turn in the voucher in order to collect their tip.

Archived