Autoroute/tolls in Provence

R & V

We will be in Provence on the 19th of October from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. We will be renting a car and driving from La Seyne sur Mer to Aix en Provence, on to Brignoles and back to La Seyne sur Mer. Approximately 116 km/ 3 hrs of estimated driving. This is our first time driving in France. Is this route too ambitious for first timers (DH has driven Chicago/NYC; figure he can handle the "south of France" traffic!) or is it reasonable?? It appears we will have several tolls along our route. Are the tolls similar to U.S.? Do you just throw the money in, wait for a "go" and drive on, or do we have to take some kind of ticket/receipt??

Thanks! :)

We will be in Provence on the 19th of October from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. We will be renting a car and driving from La Seyne sur Mer to Aix en Provence, on to Brignoles and back to La Seyne sur Mer. Approximately 116 km/ 3 hrs of estimated driving. This is our first time driving in France. Is this route too ambitious for first timers (DH has driven Chicago/NYC; figure he can handle the "south of France" traffic!) or is it reasonable?? It appears we will have several tolls along our route. Are the tolls similar to U.S.? Do you just throw the money in, wait for a "go" and drive on, or do we have to take some kind of ticket/receipt??

Thanks! :)

There are two types:

by distance: you collect a ticket and you pay later. Easiest would be would be to use the CB (Carte Bancaire = Credit Card)- or Cartes-lanes so you can pay with your credit card.

by section: all pay the same for one section.

Here you find the website of the highway-operators:

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/homepage.html

and here you get all information about toll stations and toll rate.

Regards

HeinBloed

We will be in Provence on the 19th of October from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. We will be renting a car and driving from La Seyne sur Mer to Aix en Provence, on to Brignoles and back to La Seyne sur Mer. Approximately 116 km/ 3 hrs of estimated driving. This is our first time driving in France. Is this route too ambitious for first timers (DH has driven Chicago/NYC; figure he can handle the "south of France" traffic!) or is it reasonable?? It appears we will have several tolls along our route. Are the tolls similar to U.S.? Do you just throw the money in, wait for a "go" and drive on, or do we have to take some kind of ticket/receipt?? Thanks! :)

In checking MapQuest.com, it shows this route to be 56 minutes to cover the 49.88 miles each way. From

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/europe.adp?do=nw

they give detailed directions and it seems that there is a little better than average variety along this route.

We've driven lots all over France, including Paris, surviving to talk about it and smile. This charming area is fairly reasonable to drive and roads here are generally in good condition. The tolls in France are not cheap, but that's true for many things in this country with the VAT added in and other high costs. Along their superhighways, as I roughly re-call, it's mostly a toll booth where you pay. Either way, it works and you find travel here to be fun and interesting. You'll having a car and the freedom'/flexibility to stop where you desire. I don't view this as too stressful or challenging of a trip to attempt. With luck, maybe you'll stumble along a French market. Here's some visual samples for that charming situation. Lots of these in Provence.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here’s a sampling of the fun at a market day in Provence:

ProvMarketShopping.jpg

ProvCheeseMarket.jpg

ProvenceFlowerMarket.jpg

Along the scenic southern French coast west of Cannes:

CannesWCoast.jpg

There are two types:

by distance: you collect a ticket and you pay later. Easiest would be would be to use the CB (Carte Bancaire = Credit Card)- or Cartes-lanes so you can pay with your credit card.

Regards

HeinBloed

Just to clarify HeinBloed's post, the first type she quotes ("by distance"), you stop at the barrier & collect a ticket, this opens the barrier. You then reach a "peage" (toll booths) later in your journey either at the end of that section or where you turn off & here you present your ticket plus payment. You can pay by cash (Euros only) or credit card.

The second type there's no ticket since everyone joins at the same place & pays the same toll at the peage.

Head for a booth which shows the overhead icon of a collector's head & cap if you want a manned booth.

Head for a booth with the overhead icon of a bucket & coins for automatic cash-collecting net - if you trust the technology

Head for a booth with the overhead icon CB or Carte for automatic credit card payment (no pin needed, receipt issued)

Don't head for a booth which shows the overhead icon t which is for vehicles which have a "go box" (for automatic payment) inside the windscreen.

Without the "go" box the barrier will not rise & you will have to ask the folk behind to reverse out of your way so that you can reverse out and sheepishly join another line.:o

Have I ever made that mistake? 'course not ;)

Often a toll road will have free sections around a city, where it doubles as a by-pass.

John Bull

PS Like Terry I've checked the route, the drive one way is 114k (68mls) & something over an hour by main roads or 56k (34 miles) & something under an hour if you take to the hills. I don't know these roads, but it doesn't seem too ambitious to me.

PS Like Terry I've checked the route, the drive one way is 114k (68mls) & something over an hour by main roads or 56k (34 miles) & something under an hour if you take to the hills. I don't know these roads, but it doesn't seem too ambitious to me.

Hmmm.

I made the same mistake as Terry :o

(tee-hee, this time we're both wrong, Terry).:D

OP's time/distance includes Aix en Provence - though I still make it under 200k/ 120 miles and 2hrs 10 mins in total for the circular route. And still not too ambitious :)

JB

I have maps with turn-by-turn/pictured instructions (reserved a GPS), and had determined where the parking garages where in town, so I thought I was prepared for our road trip on 9/30 from Toulon to Aix, never thought about the tolls! Thanks all for the heads up. We have a shorter day, 8-4 and hope to get to Aix and back without a worry. We will only be able to spend a few hours before sadly saying goodbye. I see a land tour in our future, there is never enough time in some of these ports. We've lived in Germany (DH loved the autobahns) and have driven in NYC numerous times, so the traffic should not be an issue. Our only concern is getting back to the ship as it is the last day of the cruise. Wish the trains were more frequent, however, time does not allow such things with an early all-aboard. Looking forward to our first "taste" of France in 3 weeks.

As always Terry, love your pictures :)

Happy cruising....Joanne

Archived