Mother wrongfully arrested after cruise is released from jail

AdrenalineRush

But we were told our prints are on the chip that is in our passport. Who accesses that info?

No, that isn't true either. It would be nice if all the networks could come together as one linked network, but when it involves law enforcement, there are other considerations that prevent these links.

Passports are scanned by the bar code on the bottom of the picture page. For one, it doesn't access finger prints. Even if it did, they would have to be printed on a very high resolution printer, then the officers would have to fingerprint the suspect on scene (assuming they have ink and print cards in their pockets), then they would have to have a trained expert visually compare the prints. It's just not possible.

Unfortunately, the prints can not be compared until the person is in the jail and is printed on the scanner that is linked to the AFIS network. Then, they can be compared with the original suspects prints.

No, that isn't true either. It would be nice if all the networks could come together as one linked network, but when it involves law enforcement, there are other considerations that prevent these links.

Passports are scanned by the bar code on the bottom of the picture page. For one, it doesn't access finger prints. Even if it did, they would have to be printed on a very high resolution printer, then the officers would have to fingerprint the suspect on scene (assuming they have ink and print cards in their pockets), then they would have to have a trained expert visually compare the prints. It's just not possible.

Unfortunately, the prints can not e compared until the person is in the jail and is printed on the scanner that is linked to the AFIS network. Then, they can be compared with the original suspects prints.

Understand. Thanks for clearing that up.

I am the first one to join on the anti suing band wagon but let me say in this case I would be filing papers quicker than snot. There is no reason this should have occurred. I would have been totally humiliated. And making her appear in court to verify her identity is just ludicrous. I am very much pro police and immigration but they overstepped big time.

Wasn't anyone else finger printed when you got your passport? DH and I were. Simple check of finger prints should have solved this issue very quickly. If she used a passport of course.

No one in my family was fingerprinted when we got our passports. DH and I got them in spring of 2009, the kids in spring of 2010.

No one in my family was fingerprinted when we got our passports. DH and I got them in spring of 2009, the kids in spring of 2010.

Got our passports in March of 2007. Have been told also that our youngest will be finger printed because he is a Naturlized Citizen, We will be using his expired Military Passport in October to get his new passport.

Using his expired passort because I do not want to give up his Birth of Record paperwork and risk it being lost.

Sorry OP to go off topic here.

I was fingerprinted when I got an official/gov't use passport...but not a personal passport.

And the last time I traveled overseas with the official passport...they scanned it at passport control. The monitor was positioned such that I could see my photo and fingerprint(s) show up on there. On a side note...I was also told it would be easier to get through passport control with an official/gov't passport. Uh...not so much. I was actual interrogated about what my official business was in eastern Europe.

Unfortunately, the prints can not be compared until the person is in the jail and is printed on the scanner that is linked to the AFIS network. Then, they can be compared with the original suspects prints.

This is true for the standard passport but the new e-passport has an RFID chip and antenna embedded in it. The chip contains all of the information that is included on the data page including the picture of the passport holder. The idea is that this information can be transmitted and government agencies can use facial recognition that can identify the carrier of the passport to the picture that is securely locked into the chip for a match. Since this all done using biometrics it should dramatically reduce fraudulent passports. Also the chip has a unique identifier which can point to secure databases that may or may not contain other biometric data such as fingerprints but at this time fingerprints are not kept on the chip itself.

That's the theory but is it fully implemented I don't know.

Vinnie

I agree with our friend from Ontario, the woman is not entitled to millions for this arrest. It was a mistake but once the mistake was confirmed she was released.

I am curious why she doesn't have her husband's last name. That might have prevented this error.

Husband's last name? Come on that is way too mainstream and old fashioned nowadays!!!LOL:D I agree with you..just in case it doesn't sound like I do, BTW. She should sue though...because she was falsly arrested and detained and had documentation to prove she was the wrong person....IMHO she has every reason to sue...and should and should win........and why not millions? Do you really think that $100,000 is sufficient.....no this is a 10 million lawsuit and will be settled for about $3,000,000 IMHO.

I dont know if it helps, but when i applied for my passport last year i was told by the person at the post office reviewing my application that i should put my middle name down on the application so that i am unique in the database/system instead of just my first and last name which may not be soo unique to me

exactly...my entire family has first, middle and last names on their passports...and I have my maiden and married names.....trust me..no one else hase our combination of names.

Husband's last name? Come on that is way too mainstream and old fashioned nowadays!!!LOL:D I agree with you..just in case it doesn't sound like I do, BTW. She should sue though...because she was falsly arrested and detained and had documentation to prove she was the wrong person....IMHO she has every reason to sue...and should and should win........and why not millions? Do you really think that $100,000 is sufficient.....no this is a 10 million lawsuit and will be settled for about $3,000,000 IMHO.

This at best is a few thousand dollars error. There is no reason for this woman, or many others who sue, to become wealthy.

Yes she was wrongly arrested, but money for a new big screen should ease the pain.

Now I do think the people involved in the arrest at the very least should suffer some punishment. I think they should be removed from their post and never allowed to work in that capacity again. When all the information came back not matching, she should have been given the benefit of the doubt.

The thing that really gets me is this was about prostitution? Crap, can there be a lesser crime to begin with? I have never understood why a woman can sell sex for dinner and a movie, but is not allowed to take it in cash.

Yes she was wrongly arrested, but money for a new big screen should ease the pain.

I have never understood why a woman can sell sex for dinner and a movie, but is not allowed to take it in cash.

I have the feeling this is about to get very interesting

I agree with our friend from Ontario, the woman is not entitled to millions for this arrest. It was a mistake but once the mistake was confirmed she was released.

I am curious why she doesn't have her husband's last name. That might have prevented this error.

Guess it wouldn't bother me at all having law enforcement at my cabin door throwing handcuffs on me and hauling my happy posterior off to jail after a great vacation in front of my family and a boat load of people either....

I am sure I would just be saying..."oopsie, they made a booboo"....:rolleyes:

Really it is a double edged sword. Really the only way that a department will learn its lesson is to be sued but in these times, taking away from what little budget they likely have is the last thing that they need.

If it was me, I would likely sue them as they made a pretty clear mistake. For how much, I really don't know but lawyer fees, humiliation, time off of work and spending three days in county lockup is certainly cause for some sort of re-imbursement.

To each his/her own.

The Carnival reps were not "the powers that be" in this situation, local law enforcement was. Carnival cannot keep the police from arresting people.:rolleyes:

No, but they were part of the processing of these people. :rolleyes:

Someone at some point alerted the police... Was it immigration? Was it Carnival? Why didn't this problem show up BEFORE she cruised? ...All things to make you go hmmmmm

and yeah, I would have been calling on the "powers that be" at Carnival, too.

No, but they were part of the processing of these people. :rolleyes:

Someone at some point alerted the police... Was it immigration? Was it Carnival? Why didn't this problem show up BEFORE she cruised? ...All things to make you go hmmmmm

and yeah, I would have been calling on the "powers that be" at Carnival, too.

Negative. The cruise line has no say in these matters. Passengers with warrants are discovered by CBP by the manifest. Typically, they are arrested upon returning to a U.S. port. Carnival can not prohibit the action taken by law enforcement. Carnival is not liable in this case.

Negative. The cruise line has no say in these matters. Passengers with warrants are discovered by CBP by the manifest. Typically, they are arrested upon returning to a U.S. port. Carnival can not prohibit the action taken by law enforcement. Carnival is not liable in this case.

I think my point is why they couldn't have called her to a private room and done things privately. Why taken out in front of the other passengers.

Now the truth comes out :)

Being serious, didn't you give two decades of your time to our armed services?

Can we not fix the error for you with a sense of urgency?

I served 6 years in the USMC. Afterwards I worked for 17 yrs as a Nuclear Security Supv. I am still active with our local Marine Corps League where I am their webmaster. We also put on a local golf tournament, annual Marine Corps Ball and assist with burial details when active duty Marines are not able to.

I have pretty much given up getting it retified. As long as I am not handcuffed or detained over it, it is usually only a 10 or 15 minute delay at the port.

Dave

Paris Hilton comes to mind....... said it wasn't her cocaine that fell out of her purse:D Oh wait....it wasn't her purse.......just the lip gloss, wallet and everything else in it:rolleyes:

Dont forget, she had just pulled the same stunt in South Africa saying the weed was not hers.

Dave

I think my point is why they couldn't have called her to a private room and done things privately. Why taken out in front of the other passengers.

What if she was indeed that person and they "called" her to some place, do you think the person would have freely went there?

Law enforcement just doesnt do things that way, if they come about the ship you are leaving in handcuffs.

Another article

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/state_news/090710-woman-arrested-in-a-case-of-mistaken-identity

Seems a clerk at Osceola County Sheriffs Office entered in the wrong information and included the cruise pax info with the hookers.

When the general, law abiding population has to be afraid of the police, and humiliated by them, then yes....big compensation is deserved by the victim.

They detained her against her will. That's called kidnapping where I'm from. She was put in despicable conditions (jail).

I don't care whose fault it was, someone needs to get more than a hand slap.

If I were Carnival, the police dept, etc, I think I'd be lawyering up. and preparing my "butt kissing" routine, as well as opening that checkbook WIDE.

Punitive damages alone would be worth a number with 6 zeroes in it.

If I were Carnival, I think I might be looking at a Grand Suite for gratis when this lady starts focusing her lawyer on them.

Archived